Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 10-16-2005, 04:58 AM   #11
Comicboy
Deadman

Kyle, welcome to the forum. Airbrushing, like any art talent, just takes practice and patience. I think once you get the understanding of how the paint flows thru an airbrush and how to adjust it you'll catch on in no time. As far as getting a "starter" kit the Dixieart site is probably the best on the net. You can always try E-Bay but with that you may have a hard time with getting any service. Do yourself a favor and save up some more money and go with the quality set-ups. I think you'll find that you'll like the airbrush alot more once you get going and then if you didn't go with a better set-up you'll be that you didn't spend the little extra dough. I assume you take art classes in school so talk to your teacher about it. They may have some there you can play with or just knowledge from the teacher can be invaluable. I know ours had airbrushes/comps and it was an actual sub-class we got to take. If your teachers are anything like mine were they'll drool at the thought and jump right in with you as long as you show the interest and dedication to learning. You can't ask for any better help than Rick and Danno. These guys are the masters! They'll be glad to help when they can. We do tend to keep these 2 really busy though. There is alot of talent in this place, all of which I think will help you on your way. One of the beauties of paint is if you screw it up or don't like it you can always do it again. Most of all, take your time and enjoy it. Post some of your work when you get the chance.
Comicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #12
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Hi Kyle,
Check this link for a starter airbrush setup. Airbrush Starter Set It's not that cheap, but it comes w/ a TON of stuff. Perfect for a beginner IMHO. Comes w/ paints, video how-to....all sorts o' goodies. You're going to be spending at least that much if you put together the pieces this starter kit comes w/ separately. That being said, only you can decide how much money you're willing to spend.

I started out painting minis as well! W/ a little practice, you can include the airbrush in painting your miniatures. As for the "beginner" link you posted, painting like that can be accomplished by a beginner to intermediate, but I would definitely recommend you practice getting control of the airbrush before you tackle something like that. As for "how long", well, that depends entirely on you and how much practice you put into mastering the brush. Much easier to approach a complex airbrush job w/ the confidence you know exactly where the paint is going. CB and Danno hit it right on the head...this hobby ain't cheap, and you would be much better served spending your cash on good equipment before you tackle more expensive kits and such.

On other thing, as CB said, it's only paint. You can keep working it until you get it right.

Rick
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:47 PM   #13
Arannz
Frackin!

Here's a site I have found very useful when trying to learn this airbrushing stuff:

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/Lindex.htm

If you want a good book I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/082...books&v=glance

I'm still a beginner, but I went out and bought an Iwata HP-C, since from everything I have read it really pays to invest in a decent airbrush and compressor if you are at all serious about learning to airbrush.
Arannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #14
djsupes
Frackin!

Thanks all,
Looks like it will be a year or so before I can afford this, I ended up not getting the $810 US that was stolen from me, back. Even though, I'll save!

And could I see some of your stuff Arannz?

Thanks,
Kyle
djsupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 AM   #15
HereBeMonsters
U talkin' to me?

Since my fellow painters are throwing in their two cents heres mine. The airbrush is a great tool and can give you most effects a paintbrush can. I still recommend learning the basics of hand brushpainting.I dont use an airbrush and have been working on wash tecniques like that of a watercolor artists for a few years now with pretty reliable results. The brush painting will also come in very handy when doing certain details that an airbrush just cant do. Just the opposite there are certain tecniques that the airbrush can do that a paintbrush just cannot replicate. That being said its a good call to learn all the tools at your disposal so your arsenal is well armed.Two publications that you might be interested in are Amazing Figure Modeler and Kitbuilders magazine,both feature articles on how to build and paint figure kits. I hear some of the writers are fairly good painters (LOL).
HereBeMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #16
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

I'm going to agree with ol herebemonsters on this one. I've always felt you need ot understand how paint and brushes work, react to diffrent things and all before trying the airbrush. I just got my first airbrush and will be trying to learn how to use it starting this weekend.

As HBM (hi Jim) stated you can learn alot about washes, pastels, dry brushing etc and this will help you out later with more advanced techniques or ideas you may have.

DAnno just sprayed my first sheet of paper with primer for the weekend.

though as Rick stated it can be an expensive hobby for sure. the eye still thinks kits are cheaper since I've got to paint them............ and I'm not telling her otherwise.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:17 AM   #17
Comicboy
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD
the eye still thinks kits are cheaper since I've got to paint them............ and I'm not telling her otherwise.
Comicboy is offline   Reply With Quote