Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
MASTERSHOKHAN
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Airbrushing Noob

Hello masters of paint. I just got an airbush and a silent compressor and I'm afraid of destroying it. I don't know anything about air pressure or water traps..

Will this thing blow up if it do something wrong? ( seriously )

What if I have the compressor on and I'm not painting ( like when I change colors ) is that bad?

Basically what should I not do?

I'm going to be sculpting spiderman and I want to copy this paint.......I think it's dark blue
( I think it's metallic flakes or maybe a glitter coat )
MASTERSHOKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Hi MS, About the only thing you can do to destroy the compressors is to not keep it oiled up....I'm assuming the one you bought requires oil. My Silent compressor requires an "oil change" every year or so...more often if you're using it like mad!

As far as air pressure, that depends on what type of paint you're spraying...how thin they are, etc....no worries about messing up the compressor though. The compressor should have an auto shut off when you're not painting, thereby preserving the compressor's motor.
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
MASTERSHOKHAN
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Smile please help the noob......

Thanx RickDTM! The website said it was an, " Oil-less design especially made for Airbrushing! "

info can be found here : http://airbrushcity.com/1655.htm

I'm a little worried that " auto shut off " wasn't listed.....is that bad?

This is just my starter kit so are these functions good enough?

I think I'm going to use airbrush ready Golden or Createx colors...is this a good brand?

.....I don't want to worry 'bout thinning paint
MASTERSHOKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

MS - If this is just the starter kit I wouldn't worry about not having the Auto-shut off. Auto-shut off is a good feature to have, but I don't think it's necessarily "bad" not to have it. It will extend the life of the compressor, but if you're not spraying that much it shouldn't be a problem. Only problem I can see w/ this type of compressor is that it may over-heat if you use it constantly. Usually this type of compressor has a thermal cut-off switch and will shut down if it does overheat. All you have to do is wait until it cools off to use it again. The functions this compressor has should serve you well.

Personally, I would go w/ the Golden line of airbrush colors, especially if you don't want to worry about thinning. I've never been able to spray Createx at the low psi I use w/out thinning, but Golden has never given me a problem. Just pour and spray! I would also recommend you look into the ComArt and FW ink brands. You'll love the way they flow through the airbrush too. If you're going to be doing any kind of creature kits, I would also recommend you try out the Lifetone brand of paints. They are airbrush ready, and come in a sweet variety of colors.

Happy spraying!!
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote