Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
pdenham
Teen Titans

Bad Time To Be Holding A Pre-order?

I don't know how else to discuss something that may impact the finished quality of the products in this hobby, other than calling things out by name. It's not my intention to get into a political discussion.

I have several big items pre-ordered with estimated availability projected for Q4/19 or Q1/20.
I just saw that, in a bid to not anger consumers in the run up to the holiday shopping season, that proposed tariffs on things like toys (which is what I guess statues and figures would be classified under) would be delayed to kick in only after December 15.

How big a concern do you think it will be for studios here and factories there to rush through production for things that fall within that window, to squeeze them out before they have to take a 10% hit across the board?

How much do you think QC will suffer in that rush to just get them out the door in the country under the wire?

Anyone else concerned?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Whoever rushes QC just to meet budget will see a return from me, and possibly the end of my business. I just don't PO anymore, only have a couple made in the last year. There's more stuff out than ever, however much of it doesn't interest me. Same old superheroes and mainstream movie stuff. Additionally, many of the things I want have already been released, so the incoming stuff has to compete with things that are already available.

Raise the prices if you have to, the final product is what matters.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Well I have zero proof but Sideshow is sending out a ton of updated arrival notices. I got one for my PCS Storm Shadow and was shocked. I mean a PCS piece arriving early!? I'm guessing to beat this deadline if they can.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

These Chinese factories can only do so much. The tariffs will be 10%. I find it hard to believe that prodding the factories to do your statue first while pushing another company's back would cost you less than 10%.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
qz33
Rescue

True toy factories work differently and statue factory time is already well planned out before now.
Meeting Fall/Christmas demands is the busiest time for general factories because no one wants to sit on inventory and everyone wants their wares available for Christmas.

Whatever is being made now will ship Sept-Oct and that will be about it as far as beating that December deadline as far as statues are concerned. There will be no rushing especially for a paltry 10%. Producers will just make it up on their next POs.

That said with the economy, industry, new entrants, and statue market combined this is the riskiest time to have a PO and the risk will continue to increase.

And this here pretty much:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post

Raise the prices if you have to, the final product is what matters.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

I went from 15 statues a year with 5 or so licenses to just mostly TF statues and 1 or 2 PCS TMNT and P1 Veritech. So we had statues go up by 3 X from when I started collecting, shipping 5 X, resell is a joke now, new taxes, no this, oh joy
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Well I have zero proof but Sideshow is sending out a ton of updated arrival notices. I got one for my PCS Storm Shadow and was shocked. I mean a PCS piece arriving early!? I'm guessing to beat this deadline if they can.
PCS new owners have just learned to strike while the iron is hot instead of cool demand resulting in left over stock.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I don't know how else to discuss something that may impact the finished quality of the products in this hobby, other than calling things out by name. It's not my intention to get into a political discussion.

I have several big items pre-ordered with estimated availability projected for Q4/19 or Q1/20.
I just saw that, in a bid to not anger consumers in the run up to the holiday shopping season, that proposed tariffs on things like toys (which is what I guess statues and figures would be classified under) would be delayed to kick in only after December 15.

How big a concern do you think it will be for studios here and factories there to rush through production for things that fall within that window, to squeeze them out before they have to take a 10% hit across the board?

How much do you think QC will suffer in that rush to just get them out the door in the country under the wire?

Anyone else concerned?
I'm assuming you mean to the US?

Given the history of this conversation... it will probably be delayed again, or changed, or cancelled last minute or increased to 20%... who knows...

Not concerned... not worth the stress until you physically see an order increase in price due to a tariff or receive a statue with dramatic flaws that are out of the ordinary. It is at that time would recommend to decide how you want to proceed for everything else on your PO list... otherwise this is just stressing out... stress is bad...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I don’t see factories rushing to beat the increase in tariffs. Because there’s always the next batch and the batch after that. Tariffs are a long term concern.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Tariffs are something that almost every other country has to deal with. America is just flipping out since we were only used to product based tariffs on a small number of items as opposed to location based tariffs. We, in the U.S., still have a sweet deal compared to most other countries.

I'm not personally concerned as I have officially run out of space. If I hadn't, the drastic price increases recently was enough to take most of the fun out of this hobby. Anything I get in the future (if I get anything in the future) will have to meet way stricter standards than by previous collecting habits.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote