Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 06-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #511
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Collector's really expected these to cost around $250-$300?

The detail on this piece pretty much exceeds anything being done in this scale at the moment from any company.

I think we can all admit the Sucker Punch girls were under-priced. GG easily could have tacked another $100 onto those. Seems collectors got a bit spoiled by that. Now thats not to say $670 on this is reasonable because I don't think it is. Given the exclusivity of the piece however I do think $500 sounds about right.

Mark my word though. Despite all the uproar over the price on this "exclusive" I'd wager we'll see it going for near 1k on the secondary eventually.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #512
Luminous
Cyclops

They may look great (let's not forget we've only seen prototypes), but these are still statues of no one anyone recognizes. They are simply beautiful women with different themes. Given the scale and potential quality, I would say they shouldn't be more than $350-$400.

EDIT: Updated my price prediction (for regulars of course).
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #513
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

A bargain for what will surely be the grail to end all grails.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #514
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
They may look great (let's not forget we've only seen prototypes), but these are still statues of no one anyone recognizes. They are simply beautiful women with different themes. Given the scale and potential quality, I would say they shouldn't be more than $300 - $350.
Really? Ideally I think thats where they should be priced but given 1/4 scale PFs are averaging around $400 now from Sideshow (granted they are licensed product not an in house concept) I don't think we should expect a $300-$350 price here. There isn't a single PF Sideshow has put out that matches the level of intricate details being presented here. Plus GG has proven with the Sucker Punch line they can deliver a product of this caliber free of QC issues and staggering quality in both the sculpt and paint department. Something Sideshow has demonstrated they cannot deliver with any level of consistency over the past few years. Bottom line is a better quality product costs more money in my eyes despite what its based on.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #515
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Really? Ideally I think thats where they should be priced but given 1/4 scale PFs are averaging around $400 now from Sideshow (granted they are licensed product not an in house concept) I don't think we should expect a $300-$350 price here. There isn't a single PF Sideshow has put out that matches the level of intricate details being presented here. Plus GG has proven with the Sucker Punch line they can deliver a product of this caliber free of QC issues and staggering quality in both the sculpt and paint department. Something Sideshow has demonstrated they cannot deliver with any level of consistency over the past few years. Bottom line is a better quality product costs more money in my eyes despite what its based on.
Yeah, I just updated my price prediction before you posted. I think $350 - $400 is probably a bit more fair, especially if they can deliver on quality. I do think a better quality product should cost more, but it's difficult for me justify a higher price point than Sideshow PF's when I consider how much of SS's costs is for the license. You know SS is already trying to push their prices as much as they safely feel is possible at the moment, so why would unlicensed characters demand a higher price point than that?

If anything, I think the only reason Gentle Giant can or should match the going rate Sideshow PF's is if they're going to assure great quality. Providing a better quality unlicensed product should even out with middle of the road expensive licenses. Middle of the road may be a tad harsh, SS can still deliver great products now and then.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #516
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:

The detail on this piece pretty much exceeds anything being done in this scale at the moment from any company.

I think we can all admit the Sucker Punch girls were under-priced. GG easily could have tacked another $100 onto those. Seems collectors got a bit spoiled by that. Now thats not to say $670 on this is reasonable because I don't think it is. Given the exclusivity of the piece however I do think $500 sounds about right.

Mark my word though. Despite all the uproar over the price on this "exclusive" I'd wager we'll see it going for near 1k on the secondary eventually.
EASY. At least.

Quote:
Well said and very true. The detail and paint app from the Sucker Punch line puts Sideshow as second class citizens. No one in this hobby could honestly deny that.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #517
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

Quote:
Not saying expecting. But they should be.

And I think the opposite. Collectors have not become spoiled, they have become easily satisfied and adjusted to overpriced pieces of stone with paint. Yes they are good looking, but come on... $670 for the ex and an expected reg price of over $350?

I don't know about you guys, but I have a house to live in, gas and electrics to pay and food to buy. Other than that it's still a piece of sweatshop stone with paint on it. I love collecting and I know it's expensive, but this is... it's insane.
Hunterkingxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #518
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I do think a better quality product should cost more, but it's difficult for me justify a higher price point than Sideshow PF's when I consider how much of SS's costs is for the license. You know SS is already trying to push their prices as much as they safely feel is possible at the moment, so why would unlicensed characters demand a higher price point than that?
Regarding the licensing issue... Sideshow's high edition sizes should more than compensate them for their financial expenditures surrounding licencing fees IMO. I don't see the Honey Trap line having an ES anywhere near what we're seeing on the average PF now. Add that to the potential quality of the line and I think you may be able to find justification for a slightly higher price point.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #519
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Regarding the licensing issue... Sideshow's high edition sizes should more than compensate them for their financial expenditures surrounding licencing fees IMO. I don't see the Honey Trap line having an ES anywhere near what we're seeing on the average PF now. Add that to the potential quality of the line and I think you may be able to find justification for a slightly higher price point.
I guess depending on how much "slightly higher" is going to be and how low the ES is, then I might be able to see it happening. I'll admit that ES wasn't something I was considering when I was making my argument. We'll see though.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #520
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I guess depending on how much "slightly higher" is going to be and how low the ES is, then I might be able to see it happening. I'll admit that ES wasn't something I was considering when I was making my argument. We'll see though.
Yeah a lot of where GG sets the MSRP depends on the ES if we're talking about licensing fees (or lack thereof) and production costs. If GG cranks out 4000+ of these then obviously my assessment won't hold but if these are limited to around 2000 pieces in total I can see the higher price point being justified myself.