Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod
You see, when I talk to someone from Marvel, DC, Sideshow or any other company, I don't enjoy them telling me about some of the things they read on this forum. Yes, it is publicly accessible but it is privately owned. That means that this becomes a reflection of me.
So what are they reading that pisses them off? The other subforums aren't as active as the BD one, so what could DC and Sideshow be angry about? That we voice our opinion regarding product direction (DC) or possibly the shipping/prices/quality(SS)?
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

it's not that it pisses them of about something about them. it's the disrespect. like the f- this and f- that. calling a woman the "c" word, making personal rude remarks about others. continuously ranting about how a certain sculptor or company sucks. there is no problem with giving opinions. many times i agree with them. it's how it is said. one has to have a bit more class.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

I agree with what the Big G has said here for the most part. I think emotion took over a bit in the Bowen part of his post, but in the end I agree with what the point was.

He also summed up what most (if not all) of the mods are feeling about the way people treat each other around here. If someone is starting a gathering of forum members in their area, let them be. No need to jump in there and start slamming them. If someone loves a statue that you hate, so what? Say why you don't like it, but don't slam the other person because they disagree. A fine example is the whole Moon Knight debate - I am totally for the "white" over the "silver", but I don't think people are stupid for wanting the silver or even their reasons for wanting it. It's just my opinion, and everyone's entitled to their own.

Just because we want people to have fun here, it doesn't mean we are the "politically correct" or have to be the "fun police". Just take a moment or two and think about what you are typing before you hit that submit button...
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
it's not that it pisses them of about something about them. it's the disrespect. like the f- this and f- that. calling a woman the "c" word, making personal rude remarks about others. continuously ranting about how a certain sculptor or company sucks. there is no problem with giving opinions. many times i agree with them. it's how it is said. one has to have a bit more class.
Absolutely. I don't know how many times I have brought this up. It's like beating a dead horse. There is nothing wrong with criticism as long as it is constructive. All artists welcome it. But the "this sucks" or "that is crap" posts serve no purpose and sometimes will be downright insulting. Personally, I know a few of these extremely talented people and every last one of them is a great artist and even more so a great person. They share their work and advice with us and add a great deal to this forum. And frankly, I am feed up with the inane posts and agree that we should crack down. If the folks who post this way don't realize what they have here then they won't miss it when they are gone.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Absolutely. I don't know how many times I have brought this up. It's like beating a dead horse. There is nothing wrong with criticism as long as it is constructive. All artists welcome it. But the "this sucks" or "that is crap" posts serve no purpose and sometimes will be downright insulting. Personally, I know a few of these extremely talented people and every last one of them is a great artist and even more so a great person. They share their work and advice with us and add a great deal to this forum. And frankly, I am feed up with the inane posts and agree that we should crack down. If the folks who post this way don't realize what they have here then they won't miss it when they are gone.

give one warning and then ban for a week 2nd incident ban for good
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #16
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint
give one warning and then ban for a week 2nd incident ban for good
I already gave a warning earlier. There won't be another.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #17
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
I already gave a warning earlier. There won't be another.

will you be banning for good,for one incident?
it has gotten out of hand and there should be no
2nd chances...everyone has had many warnings
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

I personally think we have a responsibility to police ourselves to help make life easier for the mods. If someone writes something that seems inappropriate or offensive, I think it is appropriate to post a respectful response pointing out that it may be taken that way. A lot of the problems, and perceived problems, of this forum could be solved, in my opinion, by more folks taking responsibility to end fights before they start. There can be a culture of escalation here whenever something starts - that's something I suspect is endemic to the internet. But if more people counted to ten before posting irate responses, particularly when confronting new members, I think a lot of nastiness could be cut off at the source. This isn't just the job of the mods - it is the responsibility of everyone posting here to do their bit to make it a successful forum in which information and opinions can be shared with as many collectors and professionals as possible. That is what this place offers at its best, and its down to us as much as D Rod and the Mods (you guys really should be a band...) to maintain that standard.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #19
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
well tetra, i disagree with you. problem is, you get to ignore what you want. we can't. what drew wrote is correct. because some members become "fanatics"...
I guess I would rather the offending members be addressed rather than general rants against the entire posting membership.

If what I wrote was incorrect or inapproriate, especially in regards to Drew himself, I do take it back. I can certainly appreciate that moderating on the forum isn't easy.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #20
risingstar
Jedi Order

I've belonged to numerous fan sites over the years. I'm sad to say that I've seen many of them eventually turn into what you see here from time to time... Why that is, who knows for sure...? Maybe it's because some people here wouldn't be friends out there... Maybe it's because the ages of members range from 12-55... Maybe it's because some people see fan forums as a place to vent personal frustrations.... Maybe there's all sorts of culture clashes going on too... Maybe some people are just wired to confront and stir things up... Maybe all of the above? Who knows?

This site has something unique in the sense that we come into contact with creators and sculptors and fellow fans. We're asked for our opinion on things, we get to see sculpts in progress, and every so often we come across a great scoop. Speaking for myself, I've come to appreciate that aspect of the forum even though I have only been here a short time.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote