Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 07-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

I tend to believe the notion of a government agency's incompetence over a massive conspiracy. It cracks me up that people don't trust the government to the extent they faked the moon landing, but still think they are above screwing up and destroying the footage.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
I'm sure all the astronauts who died testing the equipment ultimately used would be proud to know that people have diminished their efforts by accusing the entirety of NASA of faking the money shot.

Do you realize how many people are involved with something like a moon landing? The number of people alone prohibits any kind of fake landing, because that would be a hell of a security headache. I don't really recall anyone publishing the end-all, tell-all book about how they were right there on the sound stage. Until there is, I refuse to believe it.

As to it being broadcast 'live'...well, how do you think they keep tabs on their astronauts? With interior and exterior cameras that operate in real time. It wouldn't be that hard to hook up one of NASA's monitors to a CBS camera and broadcast it at the same time as the Mission Control people were seeing it. (And, plus, how do you know that the broadcast was in fact live? It might have been on some unavoidable delay.)

Finally, just because we -didn't- do something in ten years' time doesn't mean we -couldn't- do it during that period. There's all kinds of math and safety to think about when dealing with space travel, and I'm sure they wanted to get it right and as safe as possible.
i'm sure the astronauts that died wouldn't think that their efforts were diminished because people questioned their government. the days of swallowing everything that the government agencies say hook, line and sinker are long over. people have valid questions that the government likes to apply the mushroom treatment to.

i have a friend that works at nasa. he tells me they had spent a ton of money on the space shuttle missions over the years. i feel that expenditure would have been better utilized in advancing space exploration instead of a day trip around the block.

and finally, please explain to me out of all these feeds you're talking about, including a live cbs broadcast, that not one has the original broadcast preserved. very convenient if you ask me.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
That's partially because safety standards have changed considerably (as in, we would never undertake a flight now that we would have then) as well as NASA's funding gradually getting cut, and resources being directed elsewhere (the International Space Station, various satellites, Mars landings, etc...). It doesn't help that the public's interest in space travel has considerably diminished since then.

There's really little reason to land on the moon again for the time being, and given the existing financial difficulties and technology limits, there's little reason to build a moon base for longer missions either.

Will there be eventually? I imagine so! Just not in the near future.
i would think the public's interest in space travel has increased to tremendous heights with the success of all the star trek series. although fiction, the series has spurned numerous projects like alternate fuel sources and cloaking capabilities. who told you interest has faded? the government?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
I tend to believe the notion of a government agency's incompetence over a massive conspiracy. It cracks me up that people don't trust the government to the extent they faked the moon landing, but still think they are above screwing up and destroying the footage.
there's no doubt the government has it's incompetence however the space program is known for it's numerous backup systems, so if one fails, there are several to fall back on. i have a hard time believing that the only source of video was taped over to save money. cbs did a live broadcast. no one there taped it?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

just so you guys know, this thread is to raise doubts and spawn discussion. we all have our opinions and i for one believe we did go to the moon. but you have to agree that there sure are many holes and counterpoints in the story we have been told and we'll probably never know all the facts. our government has a way of burying their mistakes. now if we can only discuss without getting personal, the world would be peachy.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
there's no doubt the government has it's incompetence however the space program is known for it's numerous backup systems, so if one fails, there are several to fall back on. i have a hard time believing that the only source of video was taped over to save money. cbs did a live broadcast. no one there taped it?
I find it highly odd, no doubt. Very hard to believe. I am just rarely shocked by humans incompetence in large groups. The larger the group the greater the chance for screw ups. That it is a government agency we are talking about well even less shocking. Add in that most of the people at NASA are geniuses... "these people can land on the moon but don't know enough to come in out of the rain," as my Grandma would have said.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
dr_teng

Quote:
i would think the public's interest in space travel has increased to tremendous heights with the success of all the star trek series. although fiction, the series has spurned numerous projects like alternate fuel sources and cloaking capabilities. who told you interest has faded? the government?
The ratings of the space launches the last few times they were on TV. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty pulling that information up, which is kind of rare for me! I can attempt to look for it later though.

It doesn't help that they've been running into more safety problems and constantly delaying flights.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
The ratings of the space launches the last few times they were on TV. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty pulling that information up, which is kind of rare for me! I can attempt to look for it later though.

It doesn't help that they've been running into more safety problems and constantly delaying flights.
yes, it does seem the program has gotten weaker. maybe it is the safety concerns but they didn't seem to care when we were attempting to beat the russians to the moon. imo, space flight is dangerous in itself. if you're going to worry about every little setback, nothing will get accomplished. advancements always include risk.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

No footage was lost of anything we haven't already seen in lower resolution.

As for moon landing deniers, they believe such things because they need to for whatever emotional reasons or extremely poor skeptical reasoning, or perhaps total lack of skeptical thinking.

The evidence that this historical event occured is overwhelming and massive.

You might as well believe we live in "The Matrix".

It would be so difficult to fake nine missions to the moon, you might as well just go!

The amount of redio telemetry that is generated from a crewed lunar mission would be impossible to fake. Doppler shift, signal strength, direction, etc. The Soviets were eavesdropping like mad on us then and woudld have called foul in a heartbeat.

If you entertain this hoax nonsense, you seriously need need to rethink your thought processes.

Denial of history is a very dangerous thing, and it can take us to extremely bad places.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
ever wonder why we haven't been back to the moon in over 35 years?
Didn't it have something to do with Kevin Bacon getting the clap?
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote