Primal
Batman

Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
if you're one of those conspiracy theorists, here's something that will make you say i told you so.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/...sci_moon_video

without the original footage, it's next to impossible to prove that the actual moon landing was staged. ever wonder why we haven't been back to the moon in over 35 years? ever wonder why they didn't build a space station on the moon? ever wonder why nasa spends billions but doesn't archive and preserve video footage of the first human beings to step on the soil of a celestial body other than earth? does nasa think the people today will believe this bull*hit?

History deniers will be relegated to footnotes in psychological history. No more. Your a history denier. Not a conspiricy exposer. You should take this mind poison somewhere else. It is the same dangerous thinking as holocaust deniers.

Not that this is needed, nor that you would accept it............

Moon Orbiter to Photograph Apollo 11 Landing Site

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ding-site.html
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
Teague
Iron Man

As much as I enjoy good conspiracy theories, this one has just never held water for me. There are too many ways this would go wrong, if it were staged. We'd have had deathbed confessions by now admitting to some small part of it. Something.

Besides that, I have no trouble believing that NASA could achieve great things, and miss small details (like not taping over original footage). After all, it's well documented that the O-ring problem that brought about the Challenger disaster was a problem that had been identified months before launch--it was quite literally a tragedy brought about because some people didn't read their office memos.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
protector2814
Phoenix

Unacceptable to me that these tapes were recorded over. How sad and insulting to the time & energy spent by the hundreds of men and women who worked so hard for the original achievement.

Was it truly even worth the effort if 30+ years later, some of the main documentation is just erased?

It provides me with some serious doubt as to the validity of any future planet or moon landings. 40 years after these future projects, will the knowledge gained by considered insignificant enough to be placed in a position to just be "oops" wiped out.

Heads should roll.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #25
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Real or fake it's all a waste of money.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Unacceptable to me that these tapes were recorded over. How sad and insulting to the time & energy spent by the hundreds of men and women who worked so hard for the original achievement.

Was it truly even worth the effort if 30+ years later, some of the main documentation is just erased?

It provides me with some serious doubt as to the validity of any future planet or moon landings. 40 years after these future projects, will the knowledge gained by considered insignificant enough to be placed in a position to just be "oops" wiped out.

Heads should roll.
Yes, it was worth the effort? Whether the documentation was erased or not, the effect it had on Americans, and hell, the world in general was enormous. I unfortunately wasn't alive for it, but I know the history of it, and I know it was one of those "Where were you when ....?" events for a great many people.

It's not like other recordings of it don't exist. There's a great many historical events that don't have video, they are no less worthy due to that.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #27
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
History deniers will be relegated to footnotes in psychological history. No more. Your a history denier. Not a conspiricy exposer. You should take this mind poison somewhere else. It is the same dangerous thinking as holocaust deniers.

Not that this is needed, nor that you would accept it............

Moon Orbiter to Photograph Apollo 11 Landing Site

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ding-site.html
so much for discussing the subject without people getting personal. if you would have read the entire thread, you may have recalled that i think we did land on the moon. my debate position is merely the counterpoint to the argument that we did. thanks for the mind poison compliment, btw. i'm flattered that my words could create such venom.

so you think the moon landing debate should be compared to the holocaust?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Yes, it was worth the effort? Whether the documentation was erased or not, the effect it had on Americans, and hell, the world in general was enormous. I unfortunately wasn't alive for it, but I know the history of it, and I know it was one of those "Where were you when ....?" events for a great many people.

It's not like other recordings of it don't exist. There's a great many historical events that don't have video, they are no less worthy due to that.
You're right. Just damned discouraging that the very organization responsible for the lunar landings would have future employees lax enough to erase a master tape. One would think that those tapes were considered precious.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You're right. Just damned discouraging that the very organization responsible for the lunar landings would have future employees lax enough to erase a master tape. One would think that those tapes were considered precious.
or at least ONE copy would have been made.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #30
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
or at least ONE copy would have been made.
The reference that the article makes to the last scene from Raiders is pretty apt, though. It's too bad the originals were lost, sure, but we still have it from pretty trustworthy sources, and it's being restored to better-than-originally-presented quality, so it doesn't seem like very much has actually been lost.

Maybe that's my naivete as to video archiving, though, which I admit I know nothing about.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote