Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

View Poll Results: Are you for or against Markus and McFeely writing the next Superman Movie
I'm for it. 10 71.43%
I'm against it. 2 14.29%
I'm not sure. 2 14.29%
I don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Discussion and Poll: Markus and McFeely want to write Superman

So during a Screen Rant interview Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely were asked what DC character they would like to work on if it were possible. You can see the Twitter post below for their full answer.

https://twitter.com/screenrant/statu...90416821014533

If you don't recognize these names (you've been living under a rock) they are the writers who've written scripts for all three Captain America films, Thor: The Dark World, Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame for Marvel Studios.

Now to me, if these guys are serious, I'd think Warner Bros. should be running over to their office with a check book and signing them up immediately. However, I've found that on Reddit and other social media sites there are some detractors.

Now I know many don't like Thor: The Dark World, but if they truly want to treat Superman like Captain America, which can be said is the strongest of all the solo film series in the MCU, then why on earth would Superman fans be against this?

The comparison is pretty easy to make between the two. Not on a power level of course but characteristically they are similar. Men, not really sure how to fit into a world they've been thrust into, but wanting to do the right thing and do so the right way. I think this is a fantastic idea, especially since Superman needs people who want to do right by him.

So I've made a poll and of course this thread as I'm curious what people here think of this.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

I think of WW as the DC analogue of Captain America and Superman as the DC analogue of Thor, so I don't think those writers are automatically a good fit for Superman.

The first Captain America has its moments but suffered from pacing issues (it took forever to get from point to point). Also, I thought that Civil War's first two thirds was horribly executed. The Sokovia Accords don't make any sense whatsoever, and neither do how the characters pick sides.

I would rather DC find fresh blood than go with industry veterans.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I think of WW as the DC analogue of Captain America and Superman as the DC analogue of Thor, so I don't think those writers are automatically a good fit for Superman.

The first Captain America has its moments but suffered from pacing issues (it took forever to get from point to point). Also, I thought that Civil War's first two thirds was horribly executed. The Sokovia Accords don't make any sense whatsoever, and neither do how the characters pick sides.

I would rather DC find fresh blood than go with industry veterans.
See I don't see Thor as an analogue for Superman at all, as a matter of fact their characteristics are worlds apart to me. I actually equate Wonder Woman to Thor more than anything else.

I actually loved First Avenger, and the pacing never bothered me in the slightest. As for the Sokovia accords in Civil War, it actually makes perfect sense in the world we live in that world Governments would want to control the most powerful "weapons" on the planet and would seek to reign in their activities and utilize them for their agendas.

How the Characters pick sides also makes sense to me in the scheme of them films. The only one I was a little iffy on were Natasha, as I think she'd have sided with Cap much earlier.

As for fresh blood, I agree somewhat, I'm also aware of how directors and writers try to "Make their mark" on characters. That is usually where things start to get dicey and we end up with things that are completely out of sync with the character's traits.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I agree that morally and characteristically, as well as being men without a home, Superman and Captain America are mirror images of each other. Also agree Wonder Woman and Thor are counterparts. I think these guys could do a great job on Superman and would love to see what they could do!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Mister H
Green Goblin

I could see that working out great. Every Steven Spielberg has their A.I. of course, but if you want a shot at winning the game you give the ball to who’s currently on fire and these two seem to be. Cap and and Supes have plenty of similarities. If I was a big Supes fan, I’d be all aboard. The first Cap movie was the greatest comic book flick of all time for me, Winter Soldier is regarded as the best to a lot of folks, if DC can sign them, I think they should.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

I see no point in turning DC movies into imitations of the MCU. If you enjoy the MCU, just watch MCU movies.

DC already tried the MCU approach when they hired Joss Whedon to "fix" Justice League, and that turned out to be a miserable abomination. Hard pass.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
See I don't see Thor as an analogue for Superman at all, as a matter of fact their characteristics are worlds apart to me. I actually equate Wonder Woman to Thor more than anything else.

I actually loved First Avenger, and the pacing never bothered me in the slightest. As for the Sokovia accords in Civil War, it actually makes perfect sense in the world we live in that world Governments would want to control the most powerful "weapons" on the planet and would seek to reign in their activities and utilize them for their agendas.

How the Characters pick sides also makes sense to me in the scheme of them films. The only one I was a little iffy on were Natasha, as I think she'd have sided with Cap much earlier.

As for fresh blood, I agree somewhat, I'm also aware of how directors and writers try to "Make their mark" on characters. That is usually where things start to get dicey and we end up with things that are completely out of sync with the character's traits.
I agree with your comparisons of Cap and Supes and Thor and Wonder Woman. I like this idea and would love to see what Markus and McFeely could do. I wouldn't just want an MCU copy film and I would think they'd try to keep it from being that, wouldn't they?
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I see no point in turning DC movies into imitations of the MCU. If you enjoy the MCU, just watch MCU movies.

DC already tried the MCU approach when they hired Joss Whedon to "fix" Justice League, and that turned out to be a miserable abomination. Hard pass.
To be fair, WB asked him to finish it midway and to try and change the tone of the film. We got a horrible hybrid Snyder/Whedon film which fell flat on it's face.

I believe we would of gotten a totally different film if Whedon was able to create it himself from scratch.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I believe the Cap movies were the farthest from being children friendly. They were the grittier MCU films, for as gritty as they really get. Which is probably why I liked them the most. Infinity War was amazing. It says something when you can look at a villain and go...ya know, he really didn't do anything wrong because it all seems so logical.

Superman fans are fools if they don't see how having writers who pay attention to the core of the character is a good thing. WB would be damn lucky to have them. I had hoped they would pen the X-Men movies. They seem to get darkness with some humor is how life is for these heroes.

And I put little stock in what those complainers are saying because clearly they can't even tell that Wonder Woman and Thor are analogous. Not Supes and Thor.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

I'm going to agree with most here that Superman and Captain America are the more obvious analogous characters between the two companies. And if anyone remembers the DC/Marvel Amalgam Comics collaborations from the 90s, those companies seem to feel the same way with their publication of Super Soldier.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote