Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #71
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Umm.. Fox has quite a few franchises already. The X-Men has been pretty lucrative for them, including Wolverine and now Deadpool solo films as well as New Mutants and X-Force coming soon, the Independence Day franchise is starting up again. They also have Planet of the Apes, Predator, Alien, as well as animated franchises like Ice Age. You can never have too many franchises I guess, but I don't know that they are starving for franchises. Granted they don't have one anchored by the biggest money maker of all time.
Those are all good examples of other franchises earning them money. I guess my point was a property that was more in-house, something they originally own. This would leave out the X-Men, so then we're left with the mediocre Alien/Predator films. The modern Apes movies are entertaining but I would consider them more remakes or adaptations then something original from the ground up. This is where Avatar comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Four sequels is crazy ambitious, I will be interested to see how many actually get made. We won't know that until the first one comes out though.
Here's Cameron's plans for how he'll film all 4...and it's pretty insane!

It’s not back-to-back. It’s really all one big production. It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all (AVATAR scripts) simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One. … We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point. It’s going to be probably the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. I’m sure the actors will be challenged by that as well. It’s like, ‘No, no, no, no, this person hasn’t died yet, so you’re still in this phase of your life.’ It’s a saga. It’s like doing all three GODFATHER films at the same time.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jame...ar-sequels-174
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #72
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

James Cameron and Fox have set the release dates for the four “Avatar” sequels, starting on Dec. 18, 2020, for “Avatar 2.”

“Avatar 3” will open Dec. 17, 2021, followed by a three- year break for “Avatar 4, set for Dec.20, 2024. “Avatar 5” will then open on Dec. 19, 2025.

The news was announced on the movie’s official Facebook page on Saturday morning, along with a picture of Cameron and crew.

“Great to be working with the best team in the business! Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels,” Cameron said in the post.

Cameron had announced a year ago at CinemaCon that he would make four “Avatar” sequels, promising that the films would start hitting theaters in 2018. The creator of the original “Avatar,” the 2009 fantasy epic that remains the all-time worldwide box office champion with $2.8 billion, said at the time that his vision for the story had expanded significantly.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/av...20-1202392897/
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #73
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I enjoyed Avatar.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #74
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Same here. Looking forward to seeing where they go from the first.

Another 3 years down the line stinks, but 2020 has a nice ring to it.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #75
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I enjoyed Avatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Same here. Looking forward to seeing where they go from the first.

Another 3 years down the line stinks, but 2020 has a nice ring to it.
I really enjoyed Avatar as well but it was a one and done type proposition for me personally.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #76
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Count me as another that really enjoyed Avatar but I certainly didn't think it justified a franchise. The follow ups will likely be good as well but this feels like it's just too ambitious and too late to capitalize on any momentum created from the first film.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #77
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Count me as another that really enjoyed Avatar but I certainly didn't think it justified a franchise. The follow ups will likely be good as well but this feels like it's just too ambitious and too late to capitalize on any momentum created from the first film.
Timing is everything but I suspect this will not hurt the franchise at all, considering how much money it made at the box office.

Now, take a movie like Sin City (2005), time was certainly working against the sequel A Dame to Kill For. Waiting 9 years was foolish at best since opening figures were paltry.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #78
Python
Omega Red

I thought Avatar was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen personally. I mean it was okay, but not really franchise material. I guess money talks however and Avatar hit at exactly the right time to capitalise on the 3d gimmick. Hence it made a fortune. Will a sequel hit the same heights without such help? Who knows...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #79
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I thought Avatar was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen personally. I mean it was okay, but not really franchise material. I guess money talks however and Avatar hit at exactly the right time to capitalise on the 3d gimmick. Hence it made a fortune. Will a sequel hit the same heights without such help? Who knows...
There are a few movies I think are overrated which were very popular. All opinion.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #80
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
There are a few movies I think are overrated which were very popular. All opinion.
Of course, as are most things.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote