Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #53
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Warcraft - Trailer 2 (HD) - YouTube
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:18 AM   #54
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

I have played little of the World of Warcraft video game, so my interest in the movie was mainly due to the involvement of Duncan Jones and I liked it very much.

It's hard to see fantasy movies and battle scenes these days without being reminded of Lord of the Rings which had set the benchmark, but Duncan has pulled it off and he did a great job with it.

Warcraft doesn't emulate its fantasy genre predecessors and stands on its own especially with its visual look and action.

Warcraft's world and imagery is beautiful without appearing as being saturated with CG. Anyone assuming otherwise is being misled by the trailers. Also the realism of orcs is stunning.

Good performance by the actors, with Travis Fimmel as Lothar, Paula Patton as Garona and especially Toby Kebbell as Durotan with his performance capture work.

The story and characters take some interesting turns, which definitely could have been improved further with a longer running time.

With just under 2 hours, the movie had me wanting to see more of the Warcraft world. I had the opposite reaction with the Hobbit movies. I surely enjoyed Warcraft more than the last Hobbit film. I hope they do a sequel to it.

Though I may not end up collecting anything Warcraft related, I am definitely tempted to look up Weta's Warcraft collectibles again.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #55
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
I have played little of the World of Warcraft video game, so my interest in the movie was mainly due to the involvement of Duncan Jones and I liked it very much.

It's hard to see fantasy movies and battle scenes these days without being reminded of Lord of the Rings which had set the benchmark, but Duncan has pulled it off and he did a great job with it.

Warcraft doesn't emulate its fantasy genre predecessors and stands on its own especially with its visual look and action.

Warcraft's world and imagery is beautiful without appearing as being saturated with CG. Anyone assuming otherwise is being misled by the trailers. Also the realism of orcs is stunning.

Good performance by the actors, with Travis Fimmel as Lothar, Paula Patton as Garona and especially Toby Kebbell as Durotan with his performance capture work.

The story and characters take some interesting turns, which definitely could have been improved further with a longer running time.

With just under 2 hours, the movie had me wanting to see more of the Warcraft world. I had the opposite reaction with the Hobbit movies. I surely enjoyed Warcraft more than the last Hobbit film. I hope they do a sequel to it.

Though I may not end up collecting anything Warcraft related, I am definitely tempted to look up Weta's Warcraft collectibles again.
Its purported the director cut 40 minuets that will be added for home release.

*edit* It is not known at this time if these minutes will be released in a future edition.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #56
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Warcraft is not doing well with critics. 24% score on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #57
Vallos
Jubilee

I read fans liked it, evident of the 81% approval on RT, citing pacing issues in the beginning, that was the most glaring critic.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #58
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Yeah I just read about the 40 minutes being cut, director's cut might fix some of the pacing issues.

At least the movie is doing well in terms of box office internationally, with over 90 million already in China.

The RT score is brutal and ridiculous. Some of the reviews are also dismissing the movie solely cause it's a video game movie, also that it takes itself too seriously. I wonder if they felt the same about the world of Middle Earth.

You know there will be a MOTU movie some day and lot of people will dismiss it on the same basis. "It's a freaking cartoon, made into a serious movie". Surely it's based on a children's TV show, but the source material can be adapted straight like a fantasy movie without winks and all, embracing the weirdness including the non-human characters. Warcraft did that faithfully with its adaptation.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #59
protector2814
Phoenix

Yeah, this is one where I'm gonna have to say "f the critics". I'm heading out to see this today w/ my son.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #60
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I've never played a second of Warcraft. Outside of the fact that it's a big budget genre film, DJ is the only real reason I'm interested in this film. I don't necessarily care what the critics say, and I hear that fans are enjoying the film but they are also saying that it may not be for people unfamiliar with the "world" of Warcraft. I may pass on this film and just see it when it comes out on Bluray, unless word of mouth is extremely positive.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote