Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/0...at-the-movies/
The RidicuList: Texting at the movies

Great to see this getting mainstream coverage.

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/06/...h-this-t-shirt
Show Your Magnited States of America Pride With This T-Shirt
Spideristic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

I think the whole "kicking you out and NOT give you a refund AND ban you for life" is pretty messed up. I hate people causing disrupting but sometimes there are misunderstanding or emergencies. If they want to kick them out, ok fine I get that but if you paid for a movie and don't watch it, shouldn't you get your money back?
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco View Post
I think the whole "kicking you out and NOT give you a refund AND ban you for life" is pretty messed up. I hate people causing disrupting but sometimes there are misunderstanding or emergencies. If they want to kick them out, ok fine I get that but if you paid for a movie and don't watch it, shouldn't you get your money back?
I don't. If there are no consequences than what's to stop her from doing it again. Now she'll think twice about texting at theater.

What I think is messed up is paying to see a movie only to have it disrupted by people texting and talking on their phone. The rules seem clear and she choose to break them.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
MiamiLoco

There ARE consequences, you get kicked out
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

It really sends a message when you kick them out AND keep their money. I'm sorry but I have a hard time feeling sorry for her.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
MiamiLoco

Well I wasn't referring to just HER case, I'm talking about the policy in general.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the policy is great and will hopefully deter more people from trying to ruin the movie going experience for others.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

I'd be much more likely to frequent a theater that came down on knuckleheads like this. When I was seeing X-Men First Class a couple in front of us were both texting during the previews. It just blows my mind, you are out together as a couple, there is a giant screen in front of you and surround sound blasting your ears and you still feel the need to text. Do we really need that much stimulation these days. I was set to get ugly if the didn't finish before the preview were done, luckily they finished whatever critical business they had to take care of.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Quote:
Well I wasn't referring to just HER case, I'm talking about the policy in general.
I am sure they take precautions as to not target someone by mistake, also they gave her 2 warnings before kicking her out. They probably maintain that 3 strike rule in most cases.

Besides, they play their "no mobile usage during movie" policy in their PSAs so prominently, so there is really no excuse.

If they offer a refund, then it defeats the purpose. It means the customer was right. People will continue to misuse the opportunity, they will text, get kicked out and then will opt for a refund.

If there are any real emergencies, people should slowly step out of the screening room to pick the call or to text back. Of course this will also disturb others if you are somewhere in the middle. Respect other people's movie experience. Someone else has paid good money to enjoy their experience at the theatre, one who ruins it for others does not deserve to get their money back.

Movies are meant to transport you to a fictional place and time, giving you the out of reality illusion and experience. The moment a mobile phone lights up or someone talks loudly, that immersed illusion is disrupted. Of course not many people take all this so seriously. Many are used to talking and texting while watching movies on television at home, they expect then can and should be allowed to do the same at the theatre. Sadly, they are mistaken and they need to learn their theatre etiquette.
Spideristic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Thankfully Irish cinemas are pretty good when it comes to enforcing these rules.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote