Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 07-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #61
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

If you are one of the people that need to throw all-time great players (in the GOAT conversation) under the bus to prop up another player in the conversation, you lose all credibility as an NBA fan in my eyes. If you are trashing LeBron to prop up MJ or Kobe, your argument is lost on me. To call players like LeBron or Kobe anything but all time NBA greats is laughable. If you like Kobe better than LeBron, that’s cool but it doesn’t make LeBron a bum (and vice versa). In terms of the 3, I go MJ, LeBron, Kobe in my personal order. I also have to admit that anyone constantly throwing out MJ’s 6 rings as the foundation for him being the GOAT is also lost on me when you have a guy who won nearly DOUBLE the amount of rings as MJ. So, I guess Bill Russell would be laughing at MJ’s record at parties with only 6 rings (and I think Wilt was better than Russell). Was Magic a bum because he lost 4 times in the finals?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #62
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Magic won 5 tho. Concerning Will and Russell...Bigs in basketball is a whole different skill set that doesn't carry through generations. Size, speed, power. They were a foot taller than everyone back then. Imagine them guarding Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Malone, haha. I agree fully LeBron and Kobe are top 10 tho.

I've never seen a player more competitive and intense than MJ in any sport. When ppl asked him if he was the best he never claimed it, but he always mentioned those before him like Dr. J, Bird, Magic. LeBron just comes off as a punk. Just my opinion, I love talking ball.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #63
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I love talking hoops as well.

When the discussion of who is better starts with who won more titles, the conversation is flawed IMO. Titles is a key indicator of career success but there are so many other factors that go into the “who is the best” debate. I tend to look at the entire picture to evaluate and rank players.

You can’t say MJ is the GOAT because he won 6 titles when Russell won 11. It’s just not that simple. I also don’t buy the argument about what Russell and Wilt would do against Shaq, Duncan, Malone etc. because those 2 were absolute freak physical specimens – if they had come up in the modern era they would be running the floor and shooting 3’s.

I always loved how MJ paid homage to those who came before him. Dr. J is my all time favorite player but I won’t argue him as GOAT (even though I think he should get more consideration due to what he did for the ABA before they merged with the NBA).

I am a fan of LeBron’s game. I don’t see anyone currently playing or in recent history that would have had this year’s Cav’s team in the finals. No chance.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #64
Mister H
Green Goblin

Wilt and Russell would dominate in this era as easily as they did back then, they would have more bigs coming at them in a season, sure but they were crazy athletic and if they had the shoes, training, coaching personnel and all the other perks that the current players do, there would be nothing to stop them. The 80’s through mid-90’s players would have given them the most problems, but those two were absolute phenoms. I will get branded as “that guy”, but folks now don’t have the slightest idea of how hard it was to play back then.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #65
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

The thing with LeBron making all these finals and this last appearance...the East has just been so bad the last decade compared to the West. A great feat non the less.

H you make good points. Pretty sure converse was the only choice of shoe back then. Modern strength and endurance training also. They wouldn't shoot like Dirk tho. Seems like every generation has their GOAT. It will always be a debate. Guess we'll never know.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #66
Balthazar
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think that this is exactly the discussion that we have in football (soccer). Cristiano Ronal is probably the best ATHLETE of the whole time, but not the best FOOTBALL PLAYER. I think this works for Lebrom James as well. He is focus, strong, powerfull and has been playing in a division that, as a fact, is weak. I want to say is that probably, same as Cristiano Ronaldo, Lebrom will have the best numbers of the whole time, but If i would need to pick up on to start in my team for a final, KOBE ALL THE WAY. I have seen this guy live several times and the feeling was that he sundely decided to play and turned his cheat on, and well, nothing could have stoped him. Besides, the most interesting thing is that this came several times under a lot of pressure and on money time.
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:38 AM   #67
winko
Kindly Asked To Leave

definitely Kobe
winko is offline   Reply With Quote