Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #741
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
So if Joker built a giant chattering mouth super mecha robot I’m suppose to get it otherwise I’m not a fan?

Just because Joker is associated with it doesn’t mean you can stick it on a gun or a robot and still have it in character. Maybe you are not a “Joker fan” because you dont get what the Joker is about. Im sure if XM comes up with a armored up Joker with Joker mobile with chattering teeth you’ll accept it because you are a true Joker fan right?

And sure there are a few critiques (a few more popped up after I posted yesterday) but you seriously think the level of criticism and is on par with how Sideshow is scrutinized? If this Joker had been a Sideshow product it would’ve gotten killed...with XM critics it looks cartoony but still great.
What I implied was your not a Joker fan if you don't get the teeth gag (given it's been a gag of his for a very long time), just because he has a mobile carrier that is releasing the teeth doesn't make it any less Joker then the Joker Copter or the Joker Mobile. I think the concept is solid I just think they missed the mark a bit with the sculpt looking a bit too cartoony.... Especially since the other statues in this line look more realistic...

But if you want to go on ranting like a SS fanboy be my guess.....

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 AM   #742
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuz30 View Post
And yet you see alot of XM fanatics stirring things up over Sideshow Threads stating how much they will choose XM over sideshow anytime of the day..
I say it's 50/50, I've seen lots of posts from SS fanboys in the SS section ripping other companies products which usually starts the stupid arguments to begin with... There's lots of posts in Prime 1's WW threads where SS fanboys keep posting how superior SS WW is compared to Prime 1... so yeah it happens in all the sections....

IMO the only valid criticism is from collectors who actually buy statues from all the various companies, most of the people ripping on other companies products have never own any of them... I say these people need to put their money where their mouth is and give legit reviews..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #743
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
What I implied was your not a Joker fan if you don't get the teeth gag (given it's been a gag of his for a very long time), just because he has a mobile carrier that is releasing the teeth doesn't make it any less Joker then the Joker Copter or the Joker Mobile. I think the concept is solid I just think they missed the mark a bit with the sculpt looking a bit too cartoony.... Especially since the other statues in this line look more realistic...

But if you want to go on ranting like a SS fanboy be my guess.....

Oh wow... the Joker mobile and the Joker copter that showed up in a couple of panels is how we should define him. Wonder why Tim Burton and Chris Nolan didn’t include it in their films? Oh Batman fought a shark in the comics once....I want a statue of Batman wrestling a shark!!! (Shark repellent exclusive of course)

One of XM’s biggest fanboys claiming he is neutral and calling others out...how typical. Oh less we forget “if you don’t own an XM piece you just don’t understand. You can’t even afford XM so how do you get to criticize it?”
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #744
Nebulhym
The X-Men

Quote:
I’m not talking about Sideshow’s Joker because my point was on how a lot (not all) XM fans pile on Sideshow while praising the most mediocre of sculpts from XM. This Joker is one of those mediocre even poor sculpts in my opinion. The portrait is poor as is the pose. Don’t see how it fits the Joker’s persona...he’s never struck me as an engineering genius. Giant Joker robot? Is this from Ninja Batman? What is he holding? Does it spray Joker gas or is it something he bites you with? Or is it a two in one? And I don’t like Sudeshow’s version that much either (yes I think it is a bit too busy) but at least the sculpt and pose are leaps and bounds better. I much prefer the classic first Joker PF.

And if your argument is it’s because it’s a smaller scale look no further than Teeeterhead’s 1/6 version which is awesome in my book.

Go take a look in the XM threads and tell me that they are held to the same standards as Sideshow by collectors. It’s not even close. Yet we have XM fans over here constantly proclaiming that the competition isn’t even close.
Where do you see a mediocre sculpt? Did you have a look at the close up of this joker's face? They even sculpted the gums. ON A 1/6 STATUE!

That's your problem, you are comparing Sideshow's 1/4 sculpt to a 1/6 STATUE.

This is the main issue on Sideshow's forums, the fanboys are blindingly defending anything the brand makes, often making no sense at all.....

I tend to criticize Sideshow a lot recently, but clearly they have been on a bad roll with their women's portraits recently or their art direction in general.

But that doesn't make me an XM fanboy. I have and love many (actually more than XM) SS statues and all I want is to have them continue making outstanding work. When they don't, they get the criticism. Simple as that.
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #745
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulhym View Post
Where do you see a mediocre sculpt? Did you have a look at the close up of this joker's face? They even sculpted the gums. ON A 1/6 STATUE!

That's your problem, you are comparing Sideshow's 1/4 sculpt to a 1/6 STATUE.

This is the main issue on Sideshow's forums, the fanboys are blindingly defending anything the brand makes, often making no sense at all.....

I tend to criticize Sideshow a lot recently, but clearly they have been on a bad roll with their women's portraits recently or their art direction in general.

But that doesn't make me an XM fanboy. I have and love many (actually more than XM) SS statues and all I want is to have them continue making outstanding work. When they don't, they get the criticism. Simple as that.
Medicore....
"Oh I should take a look at the face?" Oh it looks worse than medicore...sorry.
"I have to buy it and see it in person before I make judgement?"
Sorry it looks bad never gonna buy it.

You must have not read the part where I talked about scale. Here is Tweeterhead's version. Similar scale as XM. And before you call me out for defending everything Sideshow...I hate the new Batman PF, Poison Ivy PF, Captain America PF....

Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #746
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I also think it is unfair to base the hate on the XM Joker on bad pics. You can clearly tell there is superior picture taking for the Tweethead piece vs any XM statue. If the XM piece had better lighting AND photography, your opinion might be less harsh because the details may be more pronounced and I am taking that is a large part of your argument.

About the base being over the top, what are your thoughts on SS new PF base?

I think the pojo stick could be seen as "over the top", but that is what Joker does from time to time. He just goes total campy nuts in his psychotic murder plans or has grand entrances. I like that both SS AND XM went a different route than norm with their Joker designs.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #747
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I also think it is unfair to base the hate on the XM Joker on bad pics. You can clearly tell there is superior picture taking for the Tweethead piece vs any XM statue. If the XM piece had better lighting AND photography, your opinion might be less harsh because the details may be more pronounced and I am taking that is a large part of your argument.

About the base being over the top, what are your thoughts on SS new PF base?

I think the pojo stick could be seen as "over the top", but that is what Joker does from time to time. He just goes total campy nuts in his psychotic murder plans or has grand entrances. I like that both SS AND XM went a different route than norm with their Joker designs.
I see a poor sculpt. Has nothing to do with lighting. Just don't like this depiction of the Joker at all. Add in the weird pose and whatever he is holding. Add the giant robot? Just does not work at all for me. It seems like something you'd design for a Batman cartoon toy line.

Call me biased whatever, but if Sideshow had bad photos you'd still have haters jumping on it like shark smelling blood in water. But no one mentions anything in the XM thread....lol.

As for the new Joker PF it isn't something I'd buy. I think the sculpt is incredible but don't like the over the top vibe. I don't like the pogo stick. He has a fantastic REG portrait but don't like EX portrait at all (too smooth and cartoony for a 1/4 sculpt). But at least the pogo stick machine > chomper gun + joker robot.

I think most fans would agree with me. It has an ES of only 750...not exactly selling like hot cakes. The first PF, or Tweeterhead's version are my ideal versions. It's also why I hate the route Sideshow is going. From classic interpretations to whatever is happening now.

Since I've completely derailed the thread I'll take it one step further. This piece has universal praise in the XM thread....Oh the new Spider-Man, Venom, Green Goblin, Black Cat PFs are so jealous. "XM's smoke sculpt blows Sideshow away!!!!!"

Old 06-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #748
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
I see a poor sculpt. Has nothing to do with lighting. Just don't like this depiction of the Joker at all. Add in the weird pose and whatever he is holding. Add the giant robot? Just does not work at all for me. It seems like something you'd design for a Batman cartoon toy line.

Call me biased whatever, but if Sideshow had bad photos you'd still have haters jumping on it like shark smelling blood. But no one mentions anything in the XM thread....lol.

As for the new Joker PF it isn't something I'd buy. I think the sculpt is incredible but don't like the over the top vibe. I don't like the pogo stick. He has a fantastic REG portrait but don't like EX portrait at all (too smooth and cartoony for a 1/4 sculpt). But at least the pogo stick machine > chomper gun + joker robot.

I think most fans would agree with me. It has an ES of only 750...not exactly selling like hot cakes. The first PF, or Tweeterhead's version are my ideal versions. It's also why I hate the route Sideshow is going. From classic interpretations to whatever is happening now.
I respect your logic on all the pieces. Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer more subtle action pieces and XM and SS Jokers are pretty over the top, so agree with you as to why they might not move in big volumes.

But I will say that you sell us XM fans short. I am in the XM threads quite a bit and you will see me routinely comment on poses (HATE Mystique from the waist down), poor photography skewing my opinion (Storm thread prime example), and repeated poses (Gambit).

I do love that XM listens to some of their market base and is willing to change things. MY problem is that they seem to listen to a niche group that I don't believe are true comic fans and may not even have interest/knowledge in the character they are commenting on. BUT at least XM is open to change and owns their sh!t both in design AND QC.....which is whole 'nother story.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #749
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Medicore....
"Oh I should take a look at the face?" Oh it looks worse than medicore...sorry.
"I have to buy it and see it in person before I make judgement?"
Sorry it looks bad never gonna buy it.

You must have not read the part where I talked about scale. Here is Tweeterhead's version. Similar scale as XM. And before you call me out for defending everything Sideshow...I hate the new Batman PF, Poison Ivy PF, Captain America PF....
I never realized how much better tweeter heads portrait is than XM's.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #750
SONICobra
Batman

wtf is going on in here...? heres a little mystique action to snap you guys back

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	there.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	114592  
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote