Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-20-2020, 01:58 AM   #1851
Ginormousthumbs
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
when I moved last year I did get the following shelves from Ikea because I needed some shelves in my bedroom for my books

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-...rown-20275885/

I had some custom built shelves for my statues and the color of the Ikea shelves matched perfectly the custom ones had made. I actually thought the shelves were nice but a little bit of a pain to build. The set I got would be good (in my opinion) would be good for displaying some statues or mini busts depending on the size of the statues.

I would say if you can afford custom go for it. Even if you do not use them for statues, a great set of shelves can always be used for many things.
I use those shelves for my records.
Ginormousthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:29 AM   #1852
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Not a fan of IKEA. It’s fast food furniture. And I refuse to spend top dollar for furniture that I have to build.
In the beginning i took to the Ikea detolf units. Once i had 6 of them, i took a dislike to them. With 6 units placed side by side in a line, cleaning them proved difficult. Having upgraded the glass to thinker stronger glass to support 1/4 scale pieces, it bothered me how much the left and right panels of glass bowed. All 6 units were slightly different, which wreaked havoc with my OCD.

The solution to keep one unit, which i dust proofed, and located it so what i could clean the outsides with ease. The other 5 units were dismantled. I made use of the glass on a metal display unit, when i built a frame around. The glass keeps out 99% of the dust, and hopefully any insects which might like to munch on mixed media outfit.

This is a work in progress.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #1853
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Look good Ukshaun. What are you using for lighting.

Lol, my three IKEA shelves have various bowes to them that big the heck out of me because they are lined up side by side. Oh well, temporary.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #1854
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Look good Ukshaun. What are you using for lighting.

Lol, my three IKEA shelves have various bowes to them that big the heck out of me because they are lined up side by side. Oh well, temporary.
Thanks. For lighting i am using a long strip of LED's. One strip above each shelf. I picked them off of ebay. They are the type that are in clear rubber tubes, that can also be used outside.

I attached them to wood using semi clear rubber brackets. I used warm light, although there was the option of bright white light.

More images here: http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...147668&page=28
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #1855
Infinite GLORY
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

So I have been looking into multiple options to "upgrade" my display space since I had the Ikea Detolfs for my old 1/6 scale statue collection. Only a few of my 1/4 scale fit inside. The rest go on top, and I'm quickly out of space.

I decided to just buy some metal garage shelves, since they would fit the 1/4 statues, and Lowes has some 36 x 60 x 18 ones on sale right now for $40 each. Bought 2.

Anyways while searching youtube last night I came across this guy and it kind of seemed like fate (if you believe in that thing) since he took the exact same dimension garage shelves I bought from Lowes, and turned them into what I would call a "budget" moducase lol.

So since last night, I have ordered most of the supplies to do this project. Still have to track down some additional acrylic sheets. Hard to come by these days.

Has anyone else seen this or looked into this? Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yDry7U9pJA&t=536s
Infinite GLORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #1856
Star-struck
The Spirit

That's a really cool idea. I've been thinking about getting one of those garage shelves lately. The particle board he mentions is a little concerning for heavier pieces. I might want to find something a little bit sturdier. Then again they claim to hold 800 lbs.
Star-struck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #1857
DarkLantern
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite GLORY View Post
So I have been looking into multiple options to "upgrade" my display space since I had the Ikea Detolfs for my old 1/6 scale statue collection. Only a few of my 1/4 scale fit inside. The rest go on top, and I'm quickly out of space.

I decided to just buy some metal garage shelves, since they would fit the 1/4 statues, and Lowes has some 36 x 60 x 18 ones on sale right now for $40 each. Bought 2.

Anyways while searching youtube last night I came across this guy and it kind of seemed like fate (if you believe in that thing) since he took the exact same dimension garage shelves I bought from Lowes, and turned them into what I would call a "budget" moducase lol.

So since last night, I have ordered most of the supplies to do this project. Still have to track down some additional acrylic sheets. Hard to come by these days.

Has anyone else seen this or looked into this? Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yDry7U9pJA&t=536s
Yeah, I saw this video as well and am in the process of making my shelves as well.
DarkLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #1858
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

@Star-struck You can alleviate your worries about the particle board by purchasing garage shelving that comes with a wire insert. It rests on the edges and you can place the boards on top of it without worrying about them bending. I cut my 4 metal struts to fit the boards so they won't pop out and look flush. I've got tons of 1/3 statues on them and have no issues. At one point I had P1 Shockwave on one so we could use the dining room table for the holidays. Didn't budge.

eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #1859
Infinite GLORY
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLantern View Post
Yeah, I saw this video as well and am in the process of making my shelves as well.
Yea let me know how your progress goes. Lowes has the garage shelves on sale for $40 which is an awesome deal. I picked up 2. Just got them today.

All I have so far is the 2 shelves, and some black curtains I got from Target. I ordered the lights, velcro and black vinyl adhesive off Amazon. Have 1 piece of Acrylic ready for pickup at Home Depot, but have to find 2 more.

And yes the package states each shelf can hold up to 800lbs distributed evenly. Each shelf can hold approx 3 1/4 scale statues so even if they were 50lbs each thats only 150. I think its ok. Could always buy and trim a thin piece of plywood or something so add some thickness if desired.
Infinite GLORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #1860
djmogo89
Justice League

Anyone know if BESTA’s doors work on a STUVA frame??
djmogo89 is offline   Reply With Quote