Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
I don't know why they can't cancel the order in the system, apply the points and then add the order back to my account....
Because they're still using DOS based computers apparently....

Heck, DOS could probably still do this type of thing without a problem actually.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
While I am not a programmer, I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult for their program to accept a command that applies a credit value to a specific order number. If their system can apply that same credit during checkout, why would it be impossible to apply it to an existing order?

Unfortunately, this excuse just comes off as company line BS. I think I would have preferred it if they tossed it up to company policy instead.
I would be willing to bet Sideshow doesnt have their own programmers. In fact, i would be willing to bet they bought their software from a company that makes pretty generic retail software that can be used by a bunch of different retail companies. Maybe this feature is in version 5.1.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I would be willing to bet Sideshow doesnt have their own programmers. In fact, i would be willing to bet they bought their software from a company that makes pretty generic retail software that can be used by a bunch of different retail companies. Maybe this feature is in version 5.1.
If they simply purchased licensed software to manage their site, whoever they purchased it from would have technicians available to clients like Sideshow. Whatever features the client would need or want should easily be made available from their web developers.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
If they simply purchased licensed software to manage their site, whoever they purchased it from would have technicians available to clients like Sideshow. Whatever features the client would need or want should easily be made available from their web developers.
Doesnt work that way.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #15
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Doesnt work that way.
Why not?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
SSAlex
Sideshow
Producer

Quote:
While I am not a programmer, I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult for their program to accept a command that applies a credit value to a specific order number. If their system can apply that same credit during checkout, why would it be impossible to apply it to an existing order?

Unfortunately, this excuse just comes off as company line BS. I think I would have preferred it if they tossed it up to company policy instead.
Programming rules into an already existing system can take anywhere between a couple of hours to 6 months (sometimes more) to implement. Why might it take a very long time for certain rules? Your basic 'point of sale' system (best I can describe it) comes in a nice box with all the normal bells and whistles. When one then decides to add this rule and that rule it starts to become more and more complicated because one has to make sure that the new rule put into place plays well with all other existing rules and bells and whistles. For example: The ability for folks to earn reward points on orders they use discounts on took MANY months to put into place (programming and testing the new rule has to be done before making it live).

Currently the system has no rule set-up to allow people to apply points to an order after they've placed an order. This might change in the future (since there are constant new things being worked on, so this could be on the hit list of things to accomplish in the future for order enhancements) but for now it is just not possible in the system...it's simply not built in.
SSAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why not?
I could go into a long diatribe on software development on change control, maintenance of different versions for different clients, software testing, prioritizing requests for changes and bug fixes, resouces availability, data base changes but from someone who has been in the software business for close to 40 years (from custom software to software you can buy in a store) it just isn't a simple thing.

Which is why i rarely comment on the statue manufacuring process since i am not in the business and anything i would think should be easy most probably isnt and someone in the business could probably go into a similar diatribe on why it isnt easy.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAlex View Post
Programming rules into an already existing system can take anywhere between a couple of hours to 6 months (sometimes more) to implement. Why might it take a very long time for certain rules? Your basic 'point of sale' system (best I can describe it) comes in a nice box with all the normal bells and whistles. When one then decides to add this rule and that rule it starts to become more and more complicated because one has to make sure that the new rule put into place plays well with all other existing rules and bells and whistles. For example: The ability for folks to earn reward points on orders they use discounts on took MANY months to put into place (programming and testing the new rule has to be done before making it live).

Currently the system has no rule set-up to allow people to apply points to an order after they've placed an order. This might change in the future (since there are constant new things being worked on, so this could be on the hit list of things to accomplish in the future for order enhancements) but for now it is just not possible in the system...it's simply not built in.
Right, I am not trying to imply that your system is capable of such commands and the company is simply choosing not to use them. I apologize if it came off that way. What I am trying to say is that by now such a feature should have been implemented. Whether it is a priority or not is another thing entirely. My point is simply that it can be added.

This isn't even mentioning a simple call to customer service to apply such credits to existing orders. I've been given credit for existing orders for a variety of different price ranges. While I understand it probably isn't currently company policy for customer service to do so, it shouldn't be a difficult task to see a customers Reward Point balance and apply a credit for the same value to the existing order. Again, my point is that this type of thing can easily be accomplished in some form or another. Especially given the time the Reward Point system has been in place.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #19
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I could go into a long diatribe on software development on change control, maintenance of different versions for different clients, software testing, prioritizing requests for changes and bug fixes, resouces availability, data base changes but from someone who has been in the software business for close to 40 years (from custom software to software you can buy in a store) it just isn't a simple thing.

Which is why i rarely comment on the statue manufacuring process since i am not in the business and anything i would think should be easy most probably isnt and someone in the business could probably go into a similar diatribe on why it isnt easy.
For the sake of argument, let's say you're right and it isn't "easy". The rudimentary aspect of having a program look at a specific value in one database and then have it apply that value to an order isn't exactly rocket science. My wife, her brother, and my best friend are all computer and software engineers. I guarantee they will find the notion of this concept being "difficult" nothing short of amusing.

I understand SSAlex's point of certain implementations possibly affecting other aspects of the program and that testing would certainly need to be taken into consideration. However, given the time the system has been in place it simply appears that it isn't a priority for the company.

Last edited by Luminous; 07-21-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #20
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Just curious Alex, what point of sale system do you use?