Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

I agree with convention coverage. There are a lot great, live feeds.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
nearmint
Phoenix

I would seriously reconsider this move. Content providers have multiple opportunities to link our content on FB and other sites. Cutting off that ability here only diminishes Statue Forum.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #13
slynger
Hellboy

I echo nearmint's thoughts. This will reroute a lot of traffic to other forums and/or FB groups.

By allowing a link here, more often than not it generates discussion about the item which is traffic to the site.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #14
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
That’s why I think this move is a mistake. Unless reviewers want to sign on as Statue Forum reviewers, you’re going to lose all that prime coverage, and that will just send collectors elsewhere to find it and discuss it.
I agree. Most of us do statue unboxings and reviews without affiliate links too.

I think this is just going to hurt this forum.
If we cant post outside links here to our content, then I am not linking this forum on any of my platforms anymore. And I did it a lot.

I can see cutting amazon affiliate links, since those are defintely for certain members to make money.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #15
Smooth Criminal
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Agree step backward if anything this will defer people from using forums, since those live videos and con coverages will be available on Facebook groups asap
Old 02-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Again, completely agree with the con coverage.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Spoke to a few people privately that had questions. To clarify, our concern to openly have links are because some links may lead to people that review / sculpt unlicensed products and that creates heat for us because it makes it appear that we support it (no different than illegal sculpts being linked or posted in the Home Grown section).

What we want to do is create a large library for members to have. So, what we would like is for you to allow us to add your video to our library and we will promote you and your video. Again, this only works for licensed pieces.

We also want to make it available for all forum members to submit their videos of any relevant kind. If we get enough monthly videos, we will then start doing monthly giveaways to the most popular ones. This can create a whole new platform of conversation for members.

Those that submit / participate on a regular basis (SF Reviewers), will have a signature that gives them the ability to promote themselves. All, within reason, of course.

As much as we may all like, we can't just allow anyone and everyone to post links anywhere they see fit. If you want to share your videos, cool. We do ask that you allow us to have a copy for our library. But that doesn't mean you cannot get credit for it. We want everyone to know who you are. You're doing something for the forum and for the members.

And, I do agree with the live coverage. There are a lot of great ones out there. Heck, if possible, we would like to get a StatueForum Press Pass for the member covering the con. We did it a few years ago for the NYCC.

Last edited by d rod; 02-24-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #18
nearmint
Phoenix

Others have tried this, Collector-Verse for example. The reality is that YouTube works pretty darn well. It’s easy to sub to content providers that you enjoy, and skip those that you don’t. They alert you when when new videos are uploaded.

Collectors don’t want to wade through a library of videos, many of which they’ve already seen, many from providers that they don’t enjoy. And they don’t want to have to search for the new stuff when they can simply be notified of it by YouTube. Collectors create their own libraries on YouTube by subbing to their favorites. They don’t need a library here on Statue Forum. I think you’re trying to create something for which there is no demand.

Barring links to YouTube videos of fan-made, unlicensed statues makes perfect sense. Everything else about this policy just pushes people away from Statue Forum.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #19
Vas'rod
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I probably didn't understand this correctly, you want to put other peoples videos in your account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
The videos, they would have to be sent to us so we may load it to the forum's YouTube account (or post giving us permission to download it).
Old 02-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Yes. I would like to create an archive of videos on the forum's account. That way, say I made 10 videos last year and I am no longer into YouTube for whatever reason and decide to close the account, the forum will still have the library.
I am not saying we want them only on our account, we would just like a copy. So, even if it's something that there is no demand for, it may be accessible to everyone.

So, say nearmint makes a video of a Darth Vader statue. He sends us a copy for our archives. In return, we promote it, he can promote it as well and we can try to create incentives for members to watch them (like the giveaway I mentioned).
Closed Thread