Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #21
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

You are right about that Shoo with the 70's title showing a lack or representation in Omnibus format. However, I do want to say that the Champions Omnibus (for those interested) is about 450 pages and has all of the appearances of the short lived group in their own comic and other comics that they appeared in. I got it for about $35 on Ebay (it retailed for $100).
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #22
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
You are right about that Shoo with the 70's title showing a lack or representation in Omnibus format. However, I do want to say that the Champions Omnibus (for those interested) is about 450 pages and has all of the appearances of the short lived group in their own comic and other comics that they appeared in. I got it for about $35 on Ebay (it retailed for $100).
There is no Champions Omnibus, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. As far as I know it has only been reprinted as a Masterwork and in soft cover, first as two TPBs and then in a Complete Collection volume.

Could you please take a picture of it?

Edit: I take it you meant you have the Champions Masterworks?
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #23
mmk123

sorry, I meant Champions Masterworks, not Omnibus. I mistyped.

I have to say I would recommend this for anyone who does enjoy reading older comics. It is a little dated but it does contain a rather unique membership and the stories were very typical of the stories that Marvel produced in the late 70's (sometimes still wish they were like that). Also, the final story of the book is from The Incredible Hulk Annual #7 where the Angel and Iceman team up with the Hulk (a great single issue story).
Old 04-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
Shoo
Hercules

Yeah, that was a one-and-done. A hypothetical Omni should include that initial run and newer iterations.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
They only had a limited window to the Fu Manchu rights, which belong to the Sax Rohmer estate, so it's only logical they rushed the MoKF Omnis. Should they ever get permission from Parker to reprint ROM, we're guaranteed to see those Omnis coming fast as well.

They are taking their time with ASM omnis (and other Silver Age characters) because Masterworks take priority. That is the line where there's a conscious effort to reprint it all in hardcover form. Omnis are just "gravy". Granted, there are enough ASM MWs for them to release a fifth Omni now, but there's another factor - they usually tie the 'chronological' Omnis to movie releases. Since the new Spidey film will be released in 2021 (COVID-19 permitting), it's a given that's when we'll get the fifth volume.

As for ToD, those were originally released a long time ago (2008-2010) and it's one of the few classic Marvel titles that haven't been masterworked to date, so they didn't have to wait, so to speak.

It's probably a matter of time, but there is no shortage of 70's titles that haven't been omnibused so far: Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), Iron Fist, Power Man, Champions, Nova, Inhumans, Sub-mariner, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk... (The last two have only recently been masterworked).

Heck, even core titles like Hulk and Daredevil have just one numbered Omni under their belt.
Good point on the Sax Rohmer estate. I forgot about that. No matter the reason, I was delighted when Tomb of Dracula got the omnibus treatment. One of my favorite series of all time!

I’ve got the Nova series collected in trade paperbacks and am happy with all my Masterworks books. I’ve got a lot of these, including the ones you mentioned. It’s always a tough choice to pick up the omnibuses when I’ve got the Masterworks.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
It’s always a tough choice to pick up the omnibuses when I’ve got the Masterworks.
Yeah, I know what you mean. :/
Old 04-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #27
mmk123

The nice thing about the Omnibuses if you are looking to make more room on your shelves the Omnibuses take up less room horizontally however your shelves would have to be high enough in order to accommodate the size of one
Now it is true there are some on the buses that are 1500 pages which still would take up a good amount of room but if all of those stories were all divided amongst various hardbacks, trade paperbacks or masterworks I think the Omnibus would still take up less room

I just like the fact that marvel is starting to reprint some of these Omnibuses that go on eBay for quite a high price like the Silver Surfer one and the Annihilation one
Old 04-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #28
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I am currently savoring Absolute Watchmen. It may be my first reread since I bought the original issues decades ago.

ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #29
protector2814
Phoenix

Have the 1st 2 issues of the original comic, but went & purchased the Masterworks of The Champions which I plan on reading while still sheltering in place. It came today, can't wait to get started -

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #30
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I am currently savoring Absolute Watchmen. It may be my first reread since I bought the original issues decades ago.

I remember buying this series as it rolled out. A comic shop near my college campus was carrying Watchmen. Same year as Miller's The Dark Knight was hitting.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote