Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #271
Level.2
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMatrix View Post
it could be 1:2 Maquettes... who knows
Thats what I think too.

I bet the Joker PF gets released on one of the highlighted days. I hope batman goes with him.
Level.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #272
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Looks good I might get it.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #273
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

predator half scale maybe
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #274
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
I hope SideShow doesn't continue with its trend of having 2 different heads that are completely different artstyles for its PFs and Comiquettes.

It is hard or impossible for me to get the exclusives.
I depend on my retailer to get my SideShow statues.

I feel bummed when the regular versions come with heads that are not my liking.

I prefer it they leave the head alone, an exclusive with switch out hands/ different accessories is fine. Even different expression is fine. But a different style altogether.

The X-Women PFs like Rogue, and Psylocke. Granted, I see many here like the regular heads. But to me, they are more cartoony-styled looking. Same with the Madame Hydra. I like the look with fangs, not the cartoony-styled sweet look with wavy long hair.

I hope they don't do the same to the DC figures.
I wouldn't want the Joker PF to have a more realistic face sculpt for the EXCLUSIVE version and cartoony-exaggerated-deformed style for the regular version.
I PRAY we get two takes on the joker head sculpt

I also would hate that one is only on the exclusive but I say hell with it Ill fork all sorts of dough for a more realistic and less goblin-esque joker
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #275
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
I agree 100%

A Joker PF is a great selection for Sideshow to kick off their DC line and I think it looks great based on the banner pic. That pic just screams Joker to me and I could care less what artist's work it is based on or if DCD did a similar look and pose. This is Sideshow and there is no comparison to anything DCD can do imo. It's like comparing a BMW to a Ford. Just not in the same league. I just hope Sideshow puts this piece up for preorder during the con.
I could also care less what type of art its based on
I just strongly feel that the look of a joker sculpt should not be based on art that doesnt look at all human
theres a middle ground and clearly a ton of renditions of the joker have illustrated it
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #276
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
As to the first statement, Joker is probably the #1 or #2 villain in DC Comics and will sell well. The reason DC Directs Joker hasn't been as successful from a profitable standpoint is because DC Direct didn't market their 1/4 statues like they do their action figures and black and white statues. Everyone who buys SS products and likes 1/4 statues (that would be the majority of people I see on these forums) will no doubt buy Joker. That is a no brainer and a no doubter (barring some unforseen natural calamity to the planet of something of that nature).

Keep in mind, SS has not done a Joker yet. So you have to throw DC Direct out the window. DC Direct is not in the same league (production, art design, distribution) as Sideshow. This is a whole new ball of wax so to speak.

In regards to the second statement, Joker has always had an unusually oblong skull and jaw structure. If you look at every Joker incarnation, most depictions of him have the same or similar look as what is shown on Sideshows banner. In fact, the only non exaggerated skull and jaw structure of Joker I know of is the Heath Ledger portrayal of Joker in Batman: The Dark Night. And to be truthfully honest with you, as much as I love the performance and mannerisms of Heath's Joker, I would never buy a statue of his incarnation as it simply does not look good in collectible form. Keep in mind, this hobby of ours is based on fictional (for the most part) and creative looking characters in fictional universes. I have no problem with the look of this Joker at all. The look is very sinister and consistent with the look I have been accustomed to since Batman: The Killing Joke! That to this day is one of the best Batman books ever done and as I remember, that Joker looks very similar to what looks to be coming from SS!
I agree with your first two points and can see that people love this look but I can guarantee if his head sculpt was in the middle ground between abnormal and unrealistic. It would be a lot better looking, saying they made the same mistakes is just me ranting off on a tangent but I am very surprised and disappointed they didn't go for something new.

On your third point, I think your missing what Im trying to say, I don't want 100% human looking face, I want something that doesn't look completely unrealistic, and that is exactly what this style is, especially if he has that long Pinocchio nose.

And artists do often draw in the mid ground, exaggerating things that far works well in 2d but not in a 3d sculpture. If the arkham asylum joker looked like that he would stick out like a sore thumb that is a perfect middle ground.

If you look at the difference between the way jim lee drew Joker in Hush and All star you can clearly see my point. Also if you look at my earlier pics you can clearly see that Bolland and Kubert pretty much every artist sketch him really out there sometimes and take it down a notch in others. Its usually in the interiors where he looks more real and covers pinups where they get artistic with it. And if SS was smart they would have captured that middle ground.

To me It would make this B statue an A
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #277
DSET
The Secret Six

that being said theres very little chance I wont buy this

especially if A: theres a hatted version or

HOPEFULLY B: theres an alternate head,
I will proceed to eat my entire arm if theres a more toned down sculpt that looks much better

if neither of those things happen I would prolly still buy it as I have only dreamed that this would one day be available for a non custom price

BUT if none of those things happen and we get a Pinocchio nosed joker I will die a little inside and probably pass, depending on the length of his honker
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #278
endless1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

i guess now I can sell my Marvel PF's
endless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #279
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless1 View Post
i guess now I can sell my Marvel PF's
guess now i can sell my tonner dolls

Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #280
Fuzzylojiks
Kindly Asked To Leave

So glad I passed on the DCD museum statue, especially after all the negative reviews about the quality.
Fuzzylojiks is offline   Reply With Quote