Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-03-2022, 11:26 PM   #41
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Critic reviews have started on Rotten Tomatoes, it's sitting at 95%

Will be interesting to see what the audience score is Friday, but then again with how much shady ---- that site has been involved in the past few years it's hard to take seriously anymore.
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:23 AM   #42
Bottled_Water
Birdman

My cautious optimism is becoming more and more reckless.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:47 AM   #43
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Prey. 5/10

I liked the setting. As usual the Predator gets it. Loved the arsenal but the Southern hemisphere look not so much. Didn't seem a very skilled hunter/warrior, wounded and outsmarted often. Maybe this was proving ground to become blooded. Better than the last 2 entries tho. Whoever thinks this is the best since the first are fools.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:23 AM   #44
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Prey. 5/10

I liked the setting. As usual the Predator gets it. Loved the arsenal but the Southern hemisphere look not so much. Didn't seem a very skilled hunter/warrior, wounded and outsmarted often. Maybe this was proving ground to become blooded. Better than the last 2 entries tho. Whoever thinks this is the best since the first are fools.
It's possible he was an inexperienced hunter? His weapons were more primitive when compared to the others in the previous films.

I enjoyed the hell out of it and was leaps/bounds better than the last one and it's definitely up there with the first two and Predators.

I loved the connection to one of the previous films and I hope there's a sequel . I'm still hoping for a film where we can eventually see the Wolf before he was a complete badass in AVPR.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:56 AM   #45
damienjakk

Whoof, pretty awful. As expected "The Message" was smeared in your face from beginning to end. Not only that but they managed to remind us that all white men are evil, complete with a mustache twirling villain.

Writing was a complete mess, the Comanche dialogue was comprised with a lot of sarcasm and attempts at witty one liners. Not entirely sure, but did 1700 Comanche speak like this? Completely broke any sense of immersion for me.

CG was terrible, especially the animals, and a bit baffling. They will show a real bear, then quick cut to a CG one when it's just standing there. I understand the action scenes with it obviously, but cutting back and forth between the two when it wasn't necessary was jarring. Blood effects were CG most of the time as well, and the gore was edited down and either cut away too quick, or was done in the foreground with a blurry effect.

Some other ridiculous things of note, Naru gets her ankle caught in a bear trap with a large open wound. The next day she's running full speed and jumping from trees. Apparently Predator mandibles aren't too sturdy either as this 90 lb. girl is able to rip one out with her bare hands in one quick pull. When the Predator has his camouflage activated you can see straight through him, pretty sure it doesn't work like that. The Predator takes a point blank range musket shot to the back of the head which also blows his mask off but is completely fine.

I think my main gripe with the movie though is that doesn't add anything onto the Predator lore. I understand it's a prequel, but most of what is shown is rehashed material. The Predator cleans skulls, he tends to his wounds, he has a self destruct bomb, etc. I did like the way Naru camouflages herself using her knowledge of plants and medicine, but small things like that get buried by nonsense like the "if it bleeds we can kill it" line and the friggin musket tie in from 2 that I predicted.

It's WAY better than The Predator, but not even close to the original by any stretch of the imagination the way reviews are claiming.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:50 AM   #46
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Man... Prey is no where to be seen in Turkish Cinema sites. It seems it didn't make it to the theathers in Turkiye. This means it has a pretty crapy box office opening in America. Only films like Jackass series or Kevin Smith films etc, indipent films that get bad box office get diseppeared like this when they are supposed to be on screen on that week.

I was really looking forward to Prey as a big fan of Predator 1 and 2 films. :/ when so many crapy films make it to the big screen around here, Prey to get such a prejudice is such a shame... :/
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:55 AM   #47
Dundee
Hydra

The battle scenes were pretty cool (esp pred vs brother, though when the pred goes invisi, everyone automatically goes into stupid mode, very jarring).

Everything else is inconsistent and a mess, last battle scene seems rushed and all over the shot. Overall, 5/10. Nowhere near as good as pred 1 and 2.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #48
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienjakk View Post
Whoof, pretty awful. As expected "The Message" was smeared in your face from beginning to end. Not only that but they managed to remind us that all white men are evil, complete with a mustache twirling villain.
I mean the film was from the Comanche's perspective. What did you expect?

Quote:
Writing was a complete mess, the Comanche dialogue was comprised with a lot of sarcasm and attempts at witty one liners. Not entirely sure, but did 1700 Comanche speak like this? Completely broke any sense of immersion for me.
I would've been down for something like Apocolypto, but given that they needed to get asses to tune into this thanks to that POS "The Predator" film, I'm guessing that's why they didn't go that route.

Quote:
CG was terrible, especially the animals, and a bit baffling. They will show a real bear, then quick cut to a CG one when it's just standing there. I understand the action scenes with it obviously, but cutting back and forth between the two when it wasn't necessary was jarring. Blood effects were CG most of the time as well, and the gore was edited down and either cut away too quick, or was done in the foreground with a blurry effect.
Yeah... I blame the limited budget due to my point above about "The Predator"

Quote:
Some other ridiculous things of note, Naru gets her ankle caught in a bear trap with a large open wound. The next day she's running full speed and jumping from trees. Apparently Predator mandibles aren't too sturdy either as this 90 lb. girl is able to rip one out with her bare hands in one quick pull.
She's Comanche. So she was already a badass would be my explanation.

Quote:
When the Predator has his camouflage activated you can see straight through him, pretty sure it doesn't work like that. The Predator takes a point blank range musket shot to the back of the head which also blows his mask off but is completely fine.
Plot Armor

Quote:
I think my main gripe with the movie though is that doesn't add anything onto the Predator lore. I understand it's a prequel, but most of what is shown is rehashed material. The Predator cleans skulls, he tends to his wounds, he has a self destruct bomb, etc. I did like the way Naru camouflages herself using her knowledge of plants and medicine, but small things like that get buried by nonsense like the "if it bleeds we can kill it" line and the friggin musket tie in from 2 that I predicted.

It's WAY better than The Predator, but not even close to the original by any stretch of the imagination the way reviews are claiming.
I thought it added quite a bit.

The pred does look like it's a different class of Hunter than the previous ones we've seen. Then you have the primitive style weapons it used compared to the previous one we've seen. It also made lead to a sequel where we learn how the pistol ends up in the hands of the Elder from P2.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #49
damienjakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I mean the film was from the Comanche's perspective. What did you expect?
There's a way to add aspects like that without it being aggressively shoved in your face. I get it, she's a woman who will show up her male counterparts, but Jesus Christ how many lines and scenes do I need to be reminded of this?

Quote:
She's Comanche. So she was already a badass would be my explanation.
So being Comanche ignores all aspects of the human anatomy? I can see maybe limping but running and jumping.....come on now

Quote:
I thought it added quite a bit.

The pred does look like it's a different class of Hunter than the previous ones we've seen. Then you have the primitive style weapons it used compared to the previous one we've seen. It also made lead to a sequel where we learn how the pistol ends up in the hands of the Elder from P2.
I think they wanted the predator to be more primitive but were afraid to commit to it. Aside from missing the actual plasma cannon it had every other form of weaponry from the other films. As for the musket tie in, I just find stuff like that to be complete cringe when the rest of the movie can't stand on it's own legs. Just comes off as desperate. The "if it bleeds" line also had me face palming.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #50
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I let the " bleeds" line slide considering it worked at that moment and it was just one of the few call backs to the previous film (the other being the pistol and Naru's fight with the one-armed Predator).

I did enjoy the score which reminded me a bit of " Last of the Mohicans" and was glad they didn't reuse pieces from the original film.