Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

View Poll Results: IS the re-release of Batman VS Killer Croc by DC Collectibles a good or bad idea?
It's good! Everyone can get this stunning piece now! 74 66.67%
It's bad! This is a simple cash grab by the corporates! 28 25.23%
WHAT!?! My original piece will to be worth nothing now! > 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #371
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Most of the 52 changes are small, but that just makes them redundant IMO. I love Jim Lee's work, but making a bunch of lines running around the suits isn't a very compelling change. It stinks of change for change sake.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #372
Luminous
Cyclops

Agreed about the lines. While they don't bother me, they definitely feel uninspired. I just appreciate the removal of the undies/shorts.

Superman's redesign is my favorite. The lines aside, I like the removal of the shorts, the red belt, and the high collar. It all feels like a uniform instead of a costume.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #373
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

if they stop numbering statues, then DCD will really be out of the collecting business
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #374
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomatrix99 View Post
if they stop numbering statues, then DCD will really be out of the collecting business
I think they already have. I know the B/W Batmans aren't numbered anymore.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #375
built2shred
Phoenix

They're starting to number them again, Covergirls Batgirl is numbered and Bombshell series of statues are also numbered.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #376
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Damn, these guys really are all over the place these days.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #377
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Making minor changes to an outfit does not make it non iconic...
Yeah, right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I am pretty sure most people on this planet will still recognize Superman in his new duds. So I think iconic status might not be the best way to describe the difference of opinion here.
Oh, I'm not just "pretty sure" about that - I'm positive. The symbol is there, the colors are there. You could draw him in a bomber jacket and people would still recognize him, but that's not the point. Being a longlife fan, if I ever decide to get a Superman statue why should I buy Solid Snake Kent over the outfit we've seen for over 70 years? That's what "iconic" means.

It's not a difference of opinion like you say. While recognizable, the New 52 outfit does not have that iconic status. The only opinion here is you saying you like the removal of the shorts, which is fine, but show anyone in the street these two pictures and ask them which is closer to their idea of Superman. There are many people out there who are not aware of this newfangled New 52 thing. Again, iconic versus latest modern variation.

Heck, he'd still be recognizable like this.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #378
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
There are many people out there who are not aware of this newfangled New 52 thing. Again, iconic versus latest modern variation.

Oh I'm sure after Man of Steel comes out this summer everyone will be familiar with the "newfangled new 52 thing"
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #379
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

DC can create many versions of Superman's outfit, though in the past, it was minor. People will always recognize him because of the "S" on his chest. Even when he was all blue and white, many people still knew that it was Superman because of the "S".

At first I didn't like the armor but I got over it and eventually accepted it. I'm actually glad that he's not wearing the trunks anymore because its a thing of the past. In my opinion, it would be silly if Superman still wore the trunks outside while the rest of the superheroes, whether its DC or Marvel, are not.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #380
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Oh, I'm not just "pretty sure" about that - I'm positive. The symbol is there, the colors are there. You could draw him in a bomber jacket and people would still recognize him, but that's not the point. Being a longlife fan, if I ever decide to get a Superman statue why should I buy Solid Snake Kent over the outfit we've seen for over 70 years? That's what "iconic" means.

It's not a difference of opinion like you say. While recognizable, the New 52 outfit does not have that iconic status. The only opinion here is you saying you like the removal of the shorts, which is fine, but show anyone in the street these two pictures and ask them which is closer to their idea of Superman. There are many people out there who are not aware of this newfangled New 52 thing. Again, iconic versus latest modern variation.

Heck, he'd still be recognizable like this.
I don't agree at all with your assessment of the term iconic. The New 52 Superman still very much resembles the Superman we have all grown up with, and that in itself is "iconic". That said, the previous costume is most certainly the classic version of of the character. So if you prefer the classic look, then that makes sense.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote