Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #71
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Have to say disappointing number of photographs from the GG booth. Or was there just a lack of stuff on show?
I don't understand why Honey Trap, Shanna, Padme, or other upcoming statues weren't at SDCC. I wanted to see Shanna again with the new color dino to decide. Sideshow and others seemed to get all the attention.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #72
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

I got a bad picture of the Daryl Dixon Lone Wolf statue.... it looks fantastic.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #73
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I found all the Gentle Giant pics at CoolToyReview and MWCToys.

http://cooltoyreview.com/2014-SDCC/s...-gentle-giant/

http://mwctoys.com/sdcc2014/sdcc2014_gg_misc_bottom.htm

Really striking that no Honey Trap statues or additional information came out at SDCC this year. Especially considering that Sideshow really launched the Court of the Dead properly and not only had a mini online comic and other stuff but now a confirmed graphic novel and artbooks for next year. And for some reason I don't doubt that they will release these since it's their own line. Unlike those other properties I was waiting years for...
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #74
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I found all the Gentle Giant pics at CoolToyReview and MWCToys.

http://cooltoyreview.com/2014-SDCC/s...-gentle-giant/

http://mwctoys.com/sdcc2014/sdcc2014_gg_misc_bottom.htm

Really striking that no Honey Trap statues or additional information came out at SDCC this year. Especially considering that Sideshow really launched the Court of the Dead properly and not only had a mini online comic and other stuff but now a confirmed graphic novel and artbooks for next year. And for some reason I don't doubt that they will release these since it's their own line. Unlike those other properties I was waiting years for...
Yeah, it's kinda frustrating, but on the other hand, you snooze you lose....I wonder if the Honey Trap line would even still draw the same wow factor two years on? Sure, your hard line fans will still support (nothing wrong in that), but now so much awesomeness is coming out from others, I can't help thinking that GG has simply missed the wave. Given the steep prices as well......who knows?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #75
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Yeah, it's kinda frustrating, but on the other hand, you snooze you lose....I wonder if the Honey Trap line would even still draw the same wow factor two years on? Sure, your hard line fans will still support (nothing wrong in that), but now so much awesomeness is coming out from others, I can't help thinking that GG has simply missed the wave. Given the steep prices as well......who knows?
I think it speaks more to the short attention span of collectors than anything. If they aren't constantly being stimulated with releases and new product announcements they tend to lose interest and move onto other areas of collecting.

That being said the HT line has moved at a snails pace. Even the most patient collector has to be wondering why the progress has been so painfully slow.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #76
built2shred
Phoenix

Even if it took another year or two for the full Honey Trap line to be released I would still be interested in them given their high quality and great sculpts. I can't always say the same for other companies who put out products that seem dated only a year or two after they come out.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #77
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I think it speaks more to the short attention span of collectors than anything. If they aren't constantly being stimulated with releases and new product announcements they tend to lose interest and move onto other areas of collecting.
Companies are always acquiring new licences, the quality of sculpting is constantly improving, and new and evocative characters are continuously being created through various media forms....if a company showcases a product, but then fails to capitalise on any initial success that showcasing brings, then they really have themselves to blame. Suggesting that collectors are fickle seems to ignore the fact that (especially in the case of Honey trap) people have been ready and willing to buy since day one, regardless of price!! Now, I would suggest for many, those funds have been deployed on other more promising / readily available products / product lines. I don't see any shame in that.....as a collector you really want to populate your shelves or cabinets with statues, not vaporware or empty promises!

Also, given the average wait time for a statue from initial view to door delivery (not including delays, etc), and the fact that so many collectors here tie up hundreds of £/$ in pre-orders, calling collectors fickle with a short attention span seems oddly harsh....in my humble opinion.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #78
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I don't think calling collectors fickle is harsh at all. History has proven when a company either slows production down, stops supporting a particular license or loses a license altogether many collectors (not saying all) tend to move on. Case in point... Attakus with their Star Wars line, Hard Hero with Marvel and you're even seeing collectors starting to panic and consider jumping ship with Bowen surrounding the uncertainty of their future with Marvel. I'm not saying anyone is to "blame" or that it is wrong its just that most collectors need that constant stimulation to maintain their interest. No question it is up to the company to support their lines if they want them to be successful.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #79
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't think calling collectors fickle is harsh at all. History has proven when a company either slows production down, stops supporting a particular license or loses a license altogether many collectors (not saying all) tend to move on. Case in point... Attakus with their Star Wars line, Hard Hero with Marvel and you're even seeing collectors starting to panic and consider jumping ship with Bowen surrounding the uncertainty of their future with Marvel. I'm not saying anyone is to "blame" or that it is wrong its just that most collectors need that constant stimulation to maintain their interest. No question it is up to the company to support their lines if they want them to be successful.
Hold on, are we discussing brand loyalty, or specific product support? The two are not the same thing. As a collector of Marvel statues, if Bowen either doesn't generate new Marvel products or is unsuccessful in retaining a licence to make further Marvel products it's not "fickle" to seek those products elsewhere....so imagine Bowen starts making Pokemon figures, do you stick with Bowen regardless that you have no interest in Pokemon, and a.n.other company is now cranking out the Marvel products you want?

I would suggest a "fickle" collector is someone who never actually buys a statue, because before the latest and "greatest" statue of all time is delivered, some other awesometastic product has been announced and the collector cancels the order on the previous one to chase this new target! I don't doubt this happens, hell, I've done this before.....but I wouldn't imagine it's standard practice for collectors for a number of practical reasons.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #80
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Madden View Post
I got a bad picture of the Daryl Dixon Lone Wolf statue.... it looks fantastic.
I think that statue has a better likeness than the 1/4 scale.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote