Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

I just re-read the "Chior Boys" by Joseph Wambaugh, for the 50th time at least. It might be a little dated but it's hysterical. Another book I re-read is Cachalot by Allen Dean Foster, Giant Whales on a water-world. This is also over 25 years old, but sci-fi never gets old. Nothing at there other than WWII books intrest me anymore.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Nice! I haven't thought about Wambaugh's stuff in many years. That was a great book!
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

A very good fantasy book written by a kid is Eragon.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
A very good fantasy book written by a kid is Eragon.
You're nor kidding (pun intended). Wasn't he 15 at the time. My daughter has this one and I picked it up but didn't get much past the first chapter before some other stuff distracted me. Aren't they turning this into a movie?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
Ghost

Yeah they are and I believe he actually had more books in the works, a trilogy maybe?
So yeah if Eragon turns out great they'll be waiting on the rest just like Rowlings and the HP books. I'm sure alot of us could write something great if we had the time
Old 09-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #16
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Yeah they are and I believe he actually had more books in the works, a trilogy maybe?
So yeah if Eragon turns out great they'll be waiting on the rest just like Rowlings and the HP books. I'm sure alot of us could write something great if we had the time
Yes, it is going to be a trilogy, the Inheritance Trilogy. The second book was published last summer and is titled Eldest. I'm surprised you haven't read it, have you?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #17
Ghost

Actually no, I picked up Eragon just when it came out and only knew about there being more never about when they'd be out. I'll have to get that. I've just been reading Freud books lately. I love me some good psychology texts
And prior to moving out here I had read the Da Vinci Code cause I wanted to read it right before the movie was released which I did but never actually went to see it.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 AM   #18
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I like the Spanish author Arturo Perez-Reverte...The Flanders Panel, The Dumas Club, The Seville Communion, The Fencing Master (look em up on Amazon). He has also written Captain Alatriste, about a dashing swordsman, set in Madrid in the 1620's. I believe its been made into a film starring Vigo Mortensen.

Also like Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #19
tuv1305
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I don't do nearly as much reading as I used to these days, but a series I've read and re-read is The Necroscope, by Brian Lumley. I initially started on the third book, read through all of them that were out at that time, and then went back for the first two. I've gotten pretty much all of my friends hooked on them since then and they love it almost as much as I do. It follows a man named Harry Keogh, who is unique in the fact that he can talk to, and is loved by, the dead. They love him so much that when he's in danger, the dead will rise up and fight to protect him, which is handy, as Harry spends most of his time fighting vampires. Along the way he picks up other skills, such as teleportation along the Moebius continuim. He goes on to fight vampires on their source world and the later books follow the adventures of his son as he carries on his dad's work without ever having known him. The only books in the series I would advise you to stay away from is the Lost Years, which completely crapped all over poor Harry, who had it rough enough to begin with.

The Dragonlance books are probably amonst my favorite as far as fantasy novels go. Another good series is The Runelords, by David Farland. Although much like Keogh in the Necroscope books, the main character of the series really gets put through the ringer.
tuv1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #20
rric528
Sinister Six

I'm reading a pretty poor book titled "Devil's Night" from 2001 when they were doing a Universal Monsters revival.

Once I "push" through I'm on the 5th instalment of Area - 51 series.

Keeping it mindless on reading right now.
rric528 is offline   Reply With Quote