Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #251
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I thought the film was pretty great, but I do agree with a lot of the feelings here. I thought as it’s own movie it wouldn’t stand up, but that’s kind of the point, right? It’s a swan song, an ending.

Infinity War and Winter Soldier William always be much better in my eyes, and while there were bits that made be cringe a bit and felt almost jarring, I still loved it as a curtain call.

One of the bits that really made me choke up, was when cap knew he was beat and he struggled to his feet and pulled the strap on his shield and got ready. That bit summed up Cap as a character to me.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #252
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I thought the film was pretty great, but I do agree with a lot of the feelings here. I thought as it’s own movie it wouldn’t stand up, but that’s kind of the point, right? It’s a swan song, an ending.

Infinity War and Winter Soldier William always be much better in my eyes, and while there were bits that made be cringe a bit and felt almost jarring, I still loved it as a curtain call.

One of the bits that really made me choke up, was when cap knew he was beat and he struggled to his feet and pulled the strap on his shield and got ready. That bit summed up Cap as a character to me.

For whatever reason, we just weren't as scared of Thanos this time around which made the stakes feel less high. I think most (we) went in knowing this was the last one so we soaked it all in while we still could and allowed some allowances for the lack of more compelling drama and action vs Thanos. All this to say, I will miss this group. I'm not sure how trading Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson for Brie Larson will play out at this stage without some major help. I also wonder if the Avengers will be more kiddified next time around as Hawkeye's daughter, Ant Man's daughter, who are both in the comics, will become prominent characters.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #253
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
The estrogen scene didn’t bother me. Fat Thor and weeny Hulk did bother me. Out of the four main Avengers, Cap and IM were done right. The other two almost ruined the movie entirely for me. I know that there were going to be deaths but Widow? Seemed unnecessary. Looks like Loki is back now that he has the ( or “a” ) tesseract. My final thoughts about the MCU is that I’m probably done with any possible Avengers stuff. Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer stuff I’ll watch but that may be it. No interest in the Eternals or Captain Marvel, GOTG, or whatever else they have left. Too bad. At least I have two great and one good Captain America movies to re-watch, can’t complain too much.
Agreed about Hulk and Thor. HATED what they did to them. They did not act or look like the heroes they are...couldn’t stand it. The time travel to 2012 Avengers really made me miss that Hulk....and that movie!

Also not a fan of Cap choosing Falcon over Bucky to be the next Captain America. I easily prefer Thor 2 over this one.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #254
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
For whatever reason, we just weren't as scared of Thanos this time around which made the stakes feel less high. I think most (we) went in knowing this was the last one so we soaked it all in while we still could and allowed some allowances for the lack of more compelling drama and action vs Thanos. All this to say, I will miss this group. I'm not sure how trading Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson for Brie Larson will play out at this stage without some major help. I also wonder if the Avengers will be more kiddified next time around as Hawkeye's daughter, Ant Man's daughter, who are both in the comics, will become prominent characters.
This is what I said to my wife after seeing the movie the first time. But let's face it, we knew he had to lose in some fashion, so he was never going to feel as terrifying as he was in IW. Thanos was just a plot device in this film unfortunately.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #255
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Agreed about Hulk and Thor. HATED what they did to them. They did not act or look like the heroes they are...couldn’t stand it. The time travel to 2012 Avengers really made me miss that Hulk....and that movie!

Also not a fan of Cap choosing Falcon over Bucky to be the next Captain America. I easily prefer Thor 2 over this one.
It seems they needed to depower both of them to make it look like Captain Marvel was needed to save the day. Thor at the end of IW or Avengers "savage" Hulk could both have accomplished anything she did.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #256
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
It seems they needed to depower both of them to make it look like Captain Marvel was needed to save the day. Thor at the end of IW or Avengers "savage" Hulk could both have accomplished anything she did.
And yet she didn't. One hit from the power stone and you didn't see her again.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #257
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
This is what I said to my wife after seeing the movie the first time. But let's face it, we knew he had to lose in some fashion, so he was never going to feel as terrifying as he was in IW. Thanos was just a plot device in this film unfortunately.

Just a thought -- had Thanos killed off or seriously injured an Avenger or two with his bare hands, it may have elevated his danger status. At the very least, the fans would have hated him even more. Killing Hawkeye and seriously injuring Shuri, for example, may have added an element of drama that might have been missing overall. Anyway, too late now, lol. All this to say, we left the theatre quite content with what we got, even with the few "ifs" and "ands" we had lingering.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #258
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Thanos didn't have the Infinity Gauntlet this time around. That alone makes him less of a threat.

As for Thor and the Hulk, I do agree that the choice of characterization for both was made to set up some of the comedic elements in the film rather than serve their characters.

Personally, would have preferred to have seen Prof. Hulk portrayed as more of a blend of Banner and the Hulk rather than a large, green Mark Ruffalo.

Similarly, had they taken inspiration from the "King Thor" story line and given us an Odinforce empowered, somewhat deranged Thor, it may have been more interesting than "Big Lebowski" Thor.

While the Hulk and Thor that we got in Endgame wasn't a deal breaker for me, I do understand the reaction from fans of the characters (*cough* the Mandarin *cough*).
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #259
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

So they've still got the time travel tech. Can't someone just go back in time and grab a Tony Stark and Young Captain America? It's how we have Gamora alive, and apparently that doesn't affect the timeline (for some reason)?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #260
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

It does take those characters out of their original timeline.

I wonder if all this time travel stuff is setting up Kang the Conqueror?
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote