Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #1191
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
Nope ominbus makes it easier than pulling out each issue from its bag ect. I do it all the time. Omnibus rules you get the whole story in one great big package
I'm actually getting the omnibus so I can sell the individual issues.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #1192
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
You speak my language.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #1193
Luminous
Cyclops

Hickman isn't for everyone but I am definitely a big fan. If you like sophisticated and thought provoking sci-fi then you're in good hands with Hickman.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #1194
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Hickman isn't for everyone but I am definitely a big fan. If you like sophisticated and thought provoking sci-fi then you're in good hands with Hickman.
Can't stand Hickman's writing. I've been reading sci-fi, sword & sorcery fantasy, horror, and superhero writing since the 70s (in the case of comic books, the 60s), and was an Englis Lit major in college (graduating with honors), and I find his writing dull, plodding, self-serving and largely incomprehensible.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #1195
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I don't see Hickman's appeal, but to each his own. Perhaps, I am getting old.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #1196
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Wow... Wktf, you really hate his writting, that's strong. These are the first two negative comments about Hickman, i have ever seen... I have seen nothing but praises before so i was so hyped. Actually, i'm still hyped ofcourse cause i have seen a mountain of praises about Hickman and only two negative comments so far. I want to see for myself and my hopes that i will like his writting are still very high.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #1197
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Can't stand Hickman's writing. I've been reading sci-fi, sword & sorcery fantasy, horror, and superhero writing since the 70s (in the case of comic books, the 60s), and was an Englis Lit major in college (graduating with honors), and I find his writing dull, plodding, self-serving and largely incomprehensible.
Considering you have repeatedly pointed out that opinions are subjective I am not sure why you felt the need to list your credentials. Why is your experience required to express an opposing view?

Like I said, Hickman isn't for everyone but I completely disagree with your assessment of his writing.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #1198
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Considering you have repeatedly pointed out that opinions are subjective I am not sure why you felt the need to list your credentials. Why is your experience required to express an opposing view?

Like I said, Hickman isn't for everyone but I completely disagree with your assessment of his writing.
Opinions are totally subjective and always to each his own. My comment was just a complement to your point about people who like sophisticated sci-fi. I think of myself as a sophisticated sci-fi reader but don't like Hickman. That's all. Sorry if I came off wrong and my comment annoyed you. It wasn't meant to do so.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #1199
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Opinions are totally subjective and always to each his own. My comment was just a complement to your point about people who like sophisticated sci-fi. I think of myself as a sophisticated sci-fi reader but don't like Hickman. That's all. Sorry if I came off wrong and my comment annoyed you. It wasn't meant to do so.

I may be wrong but I think he felt that listing your academic credentials came off as condescending. While I do not believe that was your intention, I would imagine that someone who does not know you may feel like you're saying that your opinion presents as more informed because of your academic background, otherwise why mention the credentials at all if not to appear as well-read? At least, that's what I think he meant to say.

I will add this - whenever my academic background comes up, it's hit or miss. Some take it in stride while others might think I'm trying to elevate myself above them. Typically, it's neither but I can't control how people think but I can control what I say so I don't bring it up at all unless it's part of the conversation, if that makes any sense.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #1200
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Well, I apologize if I was condescending. I see this point. I was merely offering a counterpoint that the "sophisticated" reader, of which I believe he was implying he was one, will like Hickman's writing as I think of myself as a sophisticated reader and, again, was making a counterpoint (as a fellow sophisticated reader) to his, as this is one of the purposes of a discussion forum.

In no way did I mean to invalidate someone else's opinion about art. Not even close to my intent.

Last edited by wktf; 06-27-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Correcting fat thumb typos.