Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > First4Figures / Gaming Heads

Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #171
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Truthfully no matter how experienced we claim to be it's those details that get us to spend this kind of money. How many of us would have PO'd based on the in hand pictures we have seen so far?

Which is what sucks about this and buying statues in general.
Excitement for the fantasy of the prototype and disappointment from the reality of the mass production.

Hope always springs eternal.

I'm still waiting for more pictures or getting this myself but I will hold it to some strict standards set by the prototype. If it doesn't meet expectations then it has to go.
Me...because it's Kratos and the essence of the character is still there!

Also, I never looked at upclose photos of the face to decide if I wanted the statue or not. As soon as I saw it I was sold.

Now granted...i had a PO for the lunging Kratos...but after seeing that I wasn't as impressed and cancelled. However, the armored version is what I chose...and I chose that because there is only a small portion of skin that is exposed....so I much preferred that to the unarmored one. That...and the concept / pose was awesome!

The overall paint app appears to be pretty righteous IMO...from the poor pics posted so far. And although its cliche...it's true that pics (poor pics especially) simply don't do the statue justice. This is a pretty exceptional piece IMO.

I just don't know what most of you expect from a $500 statue. If you want that level of paint job you see on prototypes...it would cost you $1000 or more. I understand that you want the best for you buck...but there is also some level of realism and expectation expected when buying a mass market item.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #172
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I just don't know what most of you expect from a $500 statue. If you want that level of paint job you see on prototypes...it would cost you $1000 or more. I understand that you want the best for you buck...but there is also some level of realism and expectation expected when buying a mass market item.
Prime 1 seems to be capable of producing a product that matches the proto. I don't think it's out of the question.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #173
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I'll preface this post with that yes, we don't know yet, these early pictures look to be poor quality, and I have the armored on order.

I did get the lunging Kratos and was let down. I still have it. So far for me I see the same degraded final result. Definitely don't understand how lunging Kratos wasn't acceptable to you but this is?

I've got a LOT of statues at least by my own judging. Everything form Sideshow to XM, Kotobukiya to PCS, Goodsmile to Gamingheads, Bowen to Tsume, Mcfarlane to F4F, Anders Ehrenborg, C.S. Moore, Chronicle blah blah blah, with Cinemaquette and Prime1 on the way. I think you get the point.
I get it everything isn't going to look exactly like the promotional photos.

Taking the two pictures above of this Kratos at face value that they are accurate representations of what will be delivered ...If I regularly received such differing products then I wouldn't be buying this stuff anymore.

I've never been let down by McFarlane, Bowen, Moore, PCS, F4F, Tsume and others at least as far as accuracy to what was promoted. I've never even been unsatisfied with the quality of $40 bishoujos from Kotobukiya. I've even received Sideshow stuff that nails the look. On the other hand I paid $1,300 for the latest Berserk's Guts statue and received a paint job no better than Bowens or Kotobukiya's Fine Arts.

But I do purchase based on pictures. Those pictures create emotions and expectations from which people make purchase decisions. Whether those expectations are realistic or not is up to each individual but what is shown as advertised is not as subjective. This was $175 more than their lunging 1/4 Kratos and last year $500 wasn't the going rate for most statues. I get the throne is large but it's just a chair with a drape and they also don't have to detail nearly the entire back of the figure unlike lunging Kratos. I love the pose and throne but something like this where the point is something as inactive as sitting and not the usual more dynamic raison d etre or the magnificence of the body of a figure the level of detail becomes even more important at least to my eyes as a casual observer. I even have Gamingheads Kratos bust and it's exactly as I expected based on what was shown.

If these are $1,000+ statues then fine but don't sell me a $1,000 statue for $500 if you aren't going to deliver a $1,000 statue for $500.
If the product is going to be that far from what is advertised then the advertisement needs to change even if so do my expectations.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #174
White Wolf
Fantastic Four

I personally would still order it based on the in-hand version. I'm new to the statue game...and I expected it to slip slightly from the proto. It also helps my acceptance if it that he is based on a video game cg character and not a live action source. To me he looks straight out of the game still minus a few minor slips. I think the armor looks excellent.I think it still looks better than lunging kratos. The face has the better angles and the scene it creates as much better presence. Even the color of the tattoos being more vibrant makes a big difference to me. And the face still looks very good to me in some pics.

I guess all will be revealed shortly. But for $500 for this size and the amount of detail I still think it's a great statue. XM Studios or PCS would have done better but would have cost more as well. Maybe one day they will go about it...but I think in person I'll be thrilled with him.
White Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #175
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Guys - let's wait til we get high res images and in hand shots before passing judgement!
Gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #176
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
Guys - let's wait til we get high res images and in hand shots before passing judgement!
Of course we are but we're still gonna judge what we have available.

If a cover's all you got that's how you judge a book!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #177
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Of course we are but we're still gonna judge what we have available.

If a cover's all you got that's how you judge a book!
I appreciate the logic!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 AM   #178
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Found more pics guys! Looks great to me! Go their taobao store and click on the "8" tab where you can see pictures by people who have received theirs.

https://world.taobao.com/item/531461...89823.2.Qnk8Xb
Old 05-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #179
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Thanks for the link Gannon

Overall he looks good but the paintjob comparisson still stands...
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #180
SDguy

Maybe some paint experts can chime in, but is a paint job like this even possible on a production piece? This looks like it has a ton of hand painted work involved.... I can't think of a piece I've seen that looks like this, outside of a custom paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB2UplBoFXXXXXJXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!2874358888.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	96280  
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote