Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #1501
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Don’t understand why some insist that the “ONLY” reason to buy this great sculpt is for the unmasked portrait. Really? Though the unmasked portrait is great, (and possibly the best ever), the masked portrait I would also consider as one of the best ever, if not the best, ...............so far. So? Unmasked or not, this is possibly the best rendition of a blue/yellow Wolverine ever, regardless of the costume tweaks SS added. Every time I see this sculpt, I see Wolverine in all his glory. The pose, the base, the details, the portraits, and the vibe, all scream WOLVERINE.

P.S. I do have the ex on order, but if I didn’t, the reg would definitely not be a deal breaker, and pushing that argument is silly at best.
It's a great sculpt all around. I certainly agree with you on that. My point is simple though. I have the yellow and blue COM and it's my favorite version of him in his classic duds. I didn't need another yellow and blue Wolvie. Since this costume is close to his Astonishing costume and I'm basically a Wolverine nut, I did consider it, but wasn't completely sold on it. Then came the reveal of the unmasked head. I'm so blown away with how good it looks that it was enough to get me to pull the trigger and PO this. However, if the unmasked head looked bad, I probably would've passed on this PF as I didn't really need another masked yellow and blue Wolvie in my collection. If I didn't already have a yellow and blue Wolvie I already liked in my collection, I'd definitely pick this up (even a REG). This is just my personal view on the subject based on what I have in my collection. I'm buying this mainly because I want to display him unmasked all the time. I don't have a single Wolverine statue that I display without his mask on. That's why I had to have the EX on this PF. It'll be the first unmasked Wolvie in my collection.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #1502
slickrick
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
It's a great sculpt all around. I certainly agree with you on that. My point is simple though. I have the yellow and blue COM and it's my favorite version of him in his classic duds. I didn't need another yellow and blue Wolvie. Since this costume is close to his Astonishing costume and I'm basically a Wolverine nut, I did consider it, but wasn't completely sold on it. Then came the reveal of the unmasked head. I'm so blown away with how good it looks that it was enough to get me to pull the trigger and PO this. However, if the unmasked head looked bad, I probably would've passed on this PF as I didn't really need another masked yellow and blue Wolvie in my collection. If I didn't already have a yellow and blue Wolvie I already liked in my collection, I'd definitely pick this up (even a REG). This is just my personal view on the subject based on what I have in my collection. I'm buying this mainly because I want to display him unmasked all the time. I don't have a single Wolverine statue that I display without his mask on. That's why I had to have the EX on this PF. It'll be the first unmasked Wolvie in my collection.
Yeah makes sense to me..we all have our particular reasons as to why we want a statue. The only reason I'm buying the upcoming Black Widow PF is because of the Exclusive head, I always wanted a long red haired Natasha, and now I get to!
slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 AM   #1503
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
As someone who likes this, plans to purchase it (at some point), and would have no interest in displaying it without the mask on my answer is...two heads simply doesn't matter if I would never use one of them.

So why would anyone choose the lesser version since it wouldn't be that much more?

For me it's about not being tied into a retail price point or a fixed time to pay it off that might not be convenient (as well as dropping money on an NRD today when I would rather not).

Also, right now the difference in price might not be much or anything at all. But as has been pointed out, the ES on this is quite large. They will be around for a while and the longer they linger, the better the deals will get. Since the EX here is something I personally don't need or attach any value to, it behooves me to not drop any money on this whatsoever until the regs are almost gone- which is fortunately a good ways away.

The important value here is not what other people say it is- it is what I, the only purchaser I care about, says it is. And part of that value I see is letting me keep my my money a lot longer, until I find a deal I just can't pass up.
Huh? Whatever you say there buddy. The EX unmasked is the best to date unmasked production/custom plain and simple. If you penny Pinchers want to save 50-100$ and deal with possible secondary market issues, power to you. The regular version looks fantastic no doubt. Mark my words, down the road not getting the EX portrait, you will regret it.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #1504
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Huh? Whatever you say there buddy. The EX unmasked is the best to date unmasked production/custom plain and simple. If you penny Pinchers want to save 50-100$ and deal with possible secondary market issues, power to you. The regular version looks fantastic no doubt. Mark my words, down the road not getting the EX portrait, you will regret it.
With an EX edition size of 2500, you`re not going to see any significant increase in after market value. If this follows the same pattern as other high ES characters like the Batman PF, Spider-man PF, Darth Vader PF, Wonder Woman PF you`ll probably still be able to get this easily around retail in years to come.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:34 AM   #1505
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
With an EX edition size of 2500, you`re not going to see any significant increase in after market value. If this follows the same pattern as other high ES characters like the Batman PF, Spider-man PF, Darth Vader PF, Wonder Woman PF you`ll probably still be able to get this easily around retail in years to come.
Very true Gary, the game has changed. Most of your mentioned pieces have stayed around release value. But with time, the good ones will increase. All I'm against is going for the Reg vs the EX when the opportunity is ripe. EX in the aftermarket can still turn a profit, regulars you most likely will lose out imo. Big picture, I don't see ever selling this piece. Why have the regret of it not being complete.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #1506
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Never saw it mentioned, but this Wolverine sculpt finally depicts the character as short, stocky, and muscular, as he should be. Too often, the character gets a leaner, taller treatment (anatomy wise), and yes I know that he has had many variations over the years, but this one looks just right. Again, this sculpt screams Wolverine. Great job Sideshow.

P.S. If there are other representations of Wolverine as stocky, in sculpt form, I sure would like to see some pics.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #1507
pdenham
Teen Titans

^ I always felt the LSF was true to his comic book stature.

Loved this statue. I had it briefly, but had to send it back due to some issues with the stitching that I thought were only going to get worse over time.

This was probably my all time favorite statue of any I've ever "owned" (however briefly). The scale was just flat out perfect for a sole cabinet top display, and he really commanded attention when you walked into the room. Such presence. I'm not a Wolverine fanatic, but this just floored me every time I looked at it.

And as much as a fan I am of classic costumes over newer and noisier incarnations, I gotta say the new PF here excels over it as a whole in several areas from what I can see.

For one thing, anatomically, this new one is a much stronger sculpt IMO.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #1508
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
^ I always felt the LSF was true to his comic book stature.

Loved this statue. I had it briefly, but had to send it back due to some issues with the stitching that I thought were only going to get worse over time.

This was probably my all time favorite statue of any I've ever "owned" (however briefly). The scale was just flat out perfect for a sole cabinet top display, and he really commanded attention when you walked into the room. Such presence. I'm not a Wolverine fanatic, but this just floored me every time I looked at it.

And as much as a fan I am of classic costumes over newer and noisier incarnations, I gotta say the new PF here excels over it as a whole in several areas from what I can see.

For one thing, anatomically, this new one is a much stronger sculpt IMO.
that's because it's full sculpt. The mixed media suit detracts from the overall anatomy IMO
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #1509
pdenham
Teen Titans

My problem with the LSF had to do with the exposed musculature. Specifically the orientation of the biceps in relationship to the forearm/palms. They drooped down like nut sacks.

I still like the simplicity of the original costume, and that's where any nostalgic affection I have lies, but at the same time I have to admit that the texture sculpted into this new PF is...exhilarating to look at.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #1510
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
My problem with the LSF had to do with the exposed musculature. Specifically the orientation of the biceps in relationship to the forearm/palms. They drooped down like nut sacks.
lol while i never described it that way that was my issue as well, it looked like his biceps were torn

there is a custom that has him stocky AF thats pretty sweet but maybe too stylistic for some
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote