Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Those look great. Well done.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #22
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskye23 View Post
I posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago. I used the original idea from The Batman Statue Collector and I expanded upon it by adding wood paneling on the back and I also added plexiglass on the sides and the front for the door. It's air tight and no dusts gets inside. I started off using 72x48x24 metal garage shelves from Home Depot. The rest was just imagination and elbow grease. Added light strips to the top of each section so they get independent lighting. Total cost for each cabinet came out to $180 (give or take a few dollars)
Yeah the way you did your cases definitely look a lot better than some of the other attempts I've seen. If you are proficient at stuff like woodworking, DIY, etc., this would probably be the route I would take. It just takes time, effort, and a plan of what you want to get it the way you want it.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
Just have Moducase customize it for you. I was having them do cases for me that were 45" in height to house all my Arkham statues as well as stuff like Superman Hush.
i didnt realize you could order custom sizes, does it cost an a ton to do that?

im of the opinion the display case is just as important as what you put in them so im not hell bent on picking up some cheap shelves but i also dont want to spend $12,000+ on six cases

im planning on making my own currently and am hoping with materials they clock in around $800-1000 per unit with acrylic panels
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
rcaido
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
I posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago. I used the original idea from The Batman Statue Collector and I expanded upon it by adding wood paneling on the back and I also added plexiglass on the sides and the front for the door. It's air tight and no dusts gets inside. I started off using 72x48x24 metal garage shelves from Home Depot. The rest was just imagination and elbow grease. Added light strips to the top of each section so they get independent lighting. Total cost for each cabinet came out to $180 (give or take a few dollars). I'm planning on putting 4 1/3 Scales from Prime 1 in each one. I'm going to build another one after the holidays.
Looks awesome, got a tutorial.
rcaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
DPmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i didnt realize you could order custom sizes, does it cost an a ton to do that?

im of the opinion the display case is just as important as what you put in them so im not hell bent on picking up some cheap shelves but i also dont want to spend $12,000+ on six cases

im planning on making my own currently and am hoping with materials they clock in around $800-1000 per unit with acrylic panels
Proportionate wise to the cases they have pre-built on their website, it wasn't that much of a drastic increase in price. When I thought of what I wanted, I envisioned an array of 10 display cases (5 on the bottom and 5 on top) for the time being and I would eventually expand out more once I got more Arkham pieces in. Each bottom case had dimensions of 45" height, 31" width, and 35" depth while the top case was 39" in height (width and depth stayed the same). I wanted those dimensions because I like having a little room up top to swap out portraits easily instead of having to take out the entire statue to swap out the head. I did the width at 31" so that I could pose the capes for my Arkham pieces any way I wanted and not be constricted, and I finally did the depth at 35" because Mr. Freeze is supposed to be pretty deep (and maybe Catwoman too). Otherwise, I could have had a smaller depth I'm sure.

Bryan from Moducase quoted me $330 for each of the bottom cases on the ends (one side acrylic for the ends) and $285 for each of the 3 bottom middle cases (with no acrylic sides). The top cases were $295 (one side acrylic for the ends) and $260 for each of the 3 top middle cases (with no acrylic sides). Each case comes with 2 LED spotlights unless you want to upgrade to 4 or 6 LED spotlights which was what I was planning to do. Of course each display case has a magnetic acrylic cover to keep the dust out too. Only reason I didn't go through with buying the cases was because I have a good amount of statues on PO over the next 6 months (ok maybe like 12 months lol) and I couldn't quite fit the cases into my budget just yet.

Bryan Wong from Moducase is a collector like many of us and he's in the Radd Titan and Statue Collectors FB groups if you want to talk to him. He's a pretty understanding guy. I told him I couldn't fit his cases into my budget right now because of the amount of statues I have coming and he totally understood it was the life of a collector lol.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #26
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaido View Post
Looks awesome, got a tutorial.
When I build my next cabinet, I'll take detailed photos of the process and I can PM you the steps if you like . The hardest part is already taken care of and that's the Garage shelves. The rest is just cutting, gluing, and securing. I have schematics and sizes that I drew up as well and you can go to Home Depot and have them cut the wood down for you. Ace Hardware has the plexiglass and you can have them cut it for you because cutting them yourself is a little tricky.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
Yeah the way you did your cases definitely look a lot better than some of the other attempts I've seen. If you are proficient at stuff like woodworking, DIY, etc., this would probably be the route I would take. It just takes time, effort, and a plan of what you want to get it the way you want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Those look great. Well done.
THANK YOU - I appreciate the kind words.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #28
DPmaster

Quote:
When I build my next cabinet, I'll take detailed photos of the process and I can PM you the steps if you like . The hardest part is already taken care of and that's the Garage shelves. The rest is just cutting, gluing, and securing. I have schematics and sizes that I drew up as well and you can go to Home Depot and have them cut the wood down for you. Ace Hardware has the plexiglass and you can have them cut it for you because cutting them yourself is a little tricky.
What did you use as your base for your garage shelves? I was actually looking at this: https://www.uline.com/BL_3867/Wide-S...Particle-Board and thought about how I would modify them to look nicer like yours somehow before I saw the moducases.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #29
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
What did you use as your base for your garage shelves? I was actually looking at this: https://www.uline.com/BL_3867/Wide-S...Particle-Board and thought about how I would modify them to look nicer like yours somehow before I saw the moducases.
DP, I started off with these 3 main components. I got the shelves on sale last year during Black Friday for $47 each. You can use the 3/4" Smooth Plywood if you like or a 1/2" (the smooth plywood takes the stain better without having to sand it so much). The Plexiglass is 1/8" thick because I didn't want to spend so much money on a thicker sheet due to the fact that the plexiglass gets inserted into the plywood (you will have to cut a groove into the wood for the plexiglass to slide into). There's a trick to doing the groove and I'll upload the procedure with pictures as soon as I start on the next one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal Shelving.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	119093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plexiglass.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	119094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plywood.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	119095  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #30
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
Bryan Wong from Moducase is a collector like many of us and he's in the Radd Titan and Statue Collectors FB groups if you want to talk to him. He's a pretty understanding guy. I told him I couldn't fit his cases into my budget right now because of the amount of statues I have coming and he totally understood it was the life of a collector lol.
VERY interesting...

im going to have to hit him up to get some quotes at the very least. i was looking for some wider cabinets but even if i doubled that price its still pretty reasonable imo - thanks bro!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote