Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-31-2023, 02:37 PM   #201
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
It was a very good time for collectors. The quality was great, prices were very reasonable and affordable, and there was great variety of figures available.

I had a good time collecting back then. It won't happen again. The same modern military figure today would cost so much more. It's just not worth it anymore. The fun is gone forever.

Forum like One Sixth Warriors was so much fun. It is nothing like its former self these days.
Oh man, I was a regular on there - back in the day.

Damn, but you're so right - those were the days. nowadays, modern military stuff runs about $250 for a box set - which is still very reasonable - all things considered. Kitbashing was never a cheap road to travel, and that hasn't improved.

Once I finish my last pre-order in statue land, 1/6 modern military is one of my planned retreats - that, WH40K and scale model figures (75mm and upwards) - I've already started building a nice historical Napoleonic Wars Army.....

There is a lot of life outside the growing misery of statue collecting
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:06 PM   #202
Hobbyist
Sailor Moon

I was a regular on there too. So many talented kitbashers, so many amazing kitbashes and ambitious dioramas. The experience there was so much more immersive. That community is very different from the statue community here.

I wouldn't spend $250 on a military figure now especially when it is essentially the same figure from before. It's just not worth the money to me. Good thing I still have a lot of parts and a few figures to play with. I might get back to them someday.

Statues have all my attention these days. Not sure how long it's going to last considering the expensive price tags. It may come to an abrupt end sooner than I think.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:34 AM   #203
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
I was a regular on there too. So many talented kitbashers, so many amazing kitbashes and ambitious dioramas. The experience there was so much more immersive. That community is very different from the statue community here.
In my opinion, that's the difference between a hobby which is 100% retail focused and a hobby which "demands" some level of creative input. In some ways it's unsurprising that the statue "community" devolves quickly into bickering and heated opinion, because between the pre-order and long wait times - what else is there to do.....idle hands make the devil's work

Quote:
I wouldn't spend $250 on a military figure now especially when it is essentially the same figure from before. It's just not worth the money to me. Good thing I still have a lot of parts and a few figures to play with. I might get back to them someday.
I agree, looking at shops lke Monkey Depot, the latest figures are mostly repeats of load outs we've already seen. Unfortunately when I got out of 1/6 I sold everything....so, the current 1/6 offerings are great for you, as there's no need to buy more, but also great for me as I can replace what I (stupidly) sold.....win win for everyone
Old 02-01-2023, 02:16 PM   #204
Hobbyist
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
In my opinion, that's the difference between a hobby which is 100% retail focused and a hobby which "demands" some level of creative input. In some ways it's unsurprising that the statue "community" devolves quickly into bickering and heated opinion, because between the pre-order and long wait times - what else is there to do.....idle hands make the devil's work
It is absolutely true. Members of the kitbashing community back then weren't just buying something pretty to look at. There was high degree of participation involved in the form of kitbashing. People were constantly upgrading and modifying out-of-the-box figures or building figures with parts or from scratch if they weren't available, and then there was time spent taking photos of the kitbashes and posting them to the website for sharing. The kitbashing community collectively was far more artistic and creative in comparison. It wasn't just buying and selling. Kitbashing was a proper hobby.

Hunting, chasing and acquiring the next new shiny statues may be fun, to some extent, but it can make people obsessive. The idle time in between new things can drive some people mad. Compounding with the fanboy mentality of some it is a small wonder that we have so much unnecessary bickering in this community criticizing each other's comments because they have nothing better to spend their time with here while waiting for the next new statues or updates on the released ones. It is really not healthy to the wellbeing of one's mind, but for better or worse it is the nature of this statue collecting hobby.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #205
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
It is absolutely true. Members of the kitbashing community back then weren't just buying something pretty to look at. There was high degree of participation involved in the form of kitbashing. People were constantly upgrading and modifying out-of-the-box figures or building figures with parts or from scratch if they weren't available. And then there was time spent taking photos of the kitbashes and posting them to the website for sharing. The kitbashing community collectively was far more artistic and creative in comparison. It wasn't just buying and selling. Kitbashing was a proper hobby.

Hunting, chasing and acquiring the next new shiny statues may be fun, to some extent, but it can make people obsessive. The idle time in between new things can drive some people mad. Compounding with the fanboy mentality of some it is a small wonder that we have so much unnecessary bickering in this community criticizing each other's comments because they have nothing better to spend their time with here while waiting for the next new statues or updates on the released ones. It is really not healthy to the wellbeing of one's mind, but for better or worse it is the nature of this statue collecting hobby.
As a result of that forum, I have more random uniforms, bodies, guns and bullets in storage all around the house. Was fun, but the eyes and hands not so steady these days.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:44 PM   #206
Hobbyist
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
As a result of that forum, I have more random uniforms, bodies, guns and bullets in storage all around the house.
Same here.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #207
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I don't want to get too policial, but another thing to consider is do you really want to have thousands in POs for items that are a year and a half + away with the possibility of tensions increasing in the east.

I don't watch the news, but I do listen to the financials, and some of the talk lately hasn't been too good.

Should things get ugly, getting our statues may be the least of our problems, but just thought I'd mention it.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:08 AM   #208
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69 View Post
I don't want to get too policial, but another thing to consider is do you really want to have thousands in POs for items that are a year and a half + away with the possibility of tensions increasing in the east.

I don't watch the news, but I do listen to the financials, and some of the talk lately hasn't been too good.

Should things get ugly, getting our statues may be the least of our problems, but just thought I'd mention it.
That's a great point - in my opinion.

It's certainly something I will consider in future plans.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:53 AM   #209
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69 View Post
China has initiated Balloonmageddon, get those POs in now!
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 01:46 AM   #210
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Actually I was talking about Taiwan, an increase in China/Russia co-operation and what we're doing in the Phillipines, but anyways...
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote