Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 02-02-2023, 04:30 AM   #161
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Very true. My point is that, as the scale drops, you can hide those shortcuts a bit easier. Also, while I don't subscribe to this way of thinking, I can understand it - to an extent....and that is, as a person's money investment drops (commensurate to scale), a person might be more tolerant of inaccuracies, reduced detail, or even slightly lower quality overall....again, not saying this is "right" - but as the cost goes up, so do the expectations
I’m confused, are we talking about the same thing lol? I feel like you went in a different direction lol. I think what you said there was solid, but has nothing to do with what we were debating lol.

Ah it’s an endless debate. This is all personal preferences anyways. It’s all too subjective to get to one definitive conclusion or the “right” answer.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:37 AM   #162
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

I personally think the bodies for the Prime 1 Trinity were near perfect. The Bats and Supes had very detailed fabric outfits, which were formfitting and truly showed off its musculature and were quite accurate to the film used suits. And to this day, I'm not sure I've ever seen a sculpted movie piece that could match the look of the skin of their 1/2 scale Wonder Woman. But unfortunately these pieces don't quite measure up to what is expected for face sculpts that need to match an actor. Their 1/3's that were released later, which I also have, other than maybe the face sculpts, were a significant downgrade from these 1/2 scales.

With regards to Queens 1/2 scales, they are some of my favourite pieces in my collection.

Though I wish Queen had utilised some fabrics, like Prime 1 did. Like for their Aquaman; in particular around the leggings, to increase the details.

For Queens Cap, it really does looks great on display. But it does suffer from some deficiencies when you look up close. The minor ones which I can forgive, were the slightly lopsided hammer, the ill-defined belt, and the soft edges on the broken shield. The not so minor one and imo a huge mistake was how they chose to do the sculpted hands.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:55 AM   #163
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
I?m confused, are we talking about the same thing lol? I feel like you went in a different direction lol. I think what you said there was solid, but has nothing to do with what we were debating lol.

Ah it?s an endless debate. This is all personal preferences anyways. It?s all too subjective to get to one definitive conclusion or the ?right? answer.
Oh, I totally went off on a tangent, it's definately me, not you

I started with stating that I'm on the fence, because I don't plan to buy any other currently released Infinity 1/2 pieces, AND I'm not planning on going into the LotR line - then I added my personal concerns about the general quality of 1/2 scale pieces citing money and space - and here we are

As some have quite rightly pointed out, all my opinions are based on sofa surfing.....so who knows what the right thing to do is. I guess, when that final payment request comes through, it'll be decision time....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:07 AM   #164
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I personally think the bodies for the Prime 1 Trinity were near perfect. The Bats and Supes had very detailed fabric outfits, which were formfitting and truly showed off its musculature and were quite accurate to the film used suits. And to this day, I'm not sure I've ever seen a sculpted movie piece that could match the look of the skin of their 1/2 scale Wonder Woman. But unfortunately these pieces don't quite measure up to what is expected for face sculpts that need to match an actor. Their 1/3's that were released later, which I also have, other than maybe the face sculpts, were a significant downgrade from these 1/2 scales.

With regards to Queens 1/2 scales, they are some of my favourite pieces in my collection.

Though I wish Queen had utilised some fabrics, like Prime 1 did. Like for their Aquaman; in particular around the leggings, to increase the details.

For Queens Cap, it really does looks great on display. But it does suffer from some deficiencies when you look up close. The minor ones which I can forgive, were the slightly lopsided hammer, the ill-defined belt, and the soft edges on the broken shield. The not so minor one and imo a huge mistake was how they chose to do the sculpted hands.
That's a better, first hand, summary then I could cook up, thanks

But essentially, from my couch bound research, you've hit the major points. I can't (honestly) speak to the body quality of the Prime1 pieces, but (IMHO) the actor likenesses were off, and the definition of the portrait on the Superman seemed really "soft" - taking away any chance of it looking "hyper real".

I just expect a 1/2 scale movie piece to target hyper realism, or...in my eyes, what's the point? If it misses that target, it's just a big statue....

On the Queen pieces, your report of the Cpt. America hits the negatives which put me off - but you didn't mention the base....which, while not being the be all, end all of the statue - is still a bloody eyesore.

I don't challenge your overall satisfaction with your pieces - in fact I fully respect it.....after all, that's why we're doing this - but those "minor" issues for you, would be "major" issues for me....especially as I would need to cancel other statues I have more faith in, if I wanted to try these pieces out.....the risk is too big.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #165
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
That's a better, first hand, summary then I could cook up, thanks

But essentially, from my couch bound research, you've hit the major points. I can't (honestly) speak to the body quality of the Prime1 pieces, but (IMHO) the actor likenesses were off, and the definition of the portrait on the Superman seemed really "soft" - taking away any chance of it looking "hyper real".

I just expect a 1/2 scale movie piece to target hyper realism, or...in my eyes, what's the point? If it misses that target, it's just a big statue....

On the Queen pieces, your report of the Cpt. America hits the negatives which put me off - but you didn't mention the base....which, while not being the be all, end all of the statue - is still a bloody eyesore.

I don't challenge your overall satisfaction with your pieces - in fact I fully respect it.....after all, that's why we're doing this - but those "minor" issues for you, would be "major" issues for me....especially as I would need to cancel other statues I have more faith in, if I wanted to try these pieces out.....the risk is too big.
Honestly, I've always gone over every inch of my statues with a fine tooth comb, and because of that I've learned that nearly every piece from every manufacturer has something I can nitpick. Almost nothing is absolutely perfect, even from our favourite manufacturers.

And the concept of hyper real didn't even exist a few years ago, so applying it to pieces that are 7-8 years old is a bit unfair.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #166
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Honestly, I've always gone over every inch of my statues with a fine tooth comb, and because of that I've learned that nearly every piece from every manufacturer has something I can nitpick. Almost nothing is absolutely perfect, even from our favourite manufacturers.

And the concept of hyper real didn't even exist a few years ago, so applying it to pieces that are 7-8 years old is a bit unfair.
I'm not saying my standards are higher than yours, absolutely not - at "best" we might have different standards. It's that simple. I also understand that back when those P1 pieces were first shown off, the expectations on statues were different.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:56 PM   #167
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Looks like some people are starting to get this in hand. I haven’t received any shipping notice yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77AE247D-AE23-4891-AEE4-284B2143F80B.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	159727   Click image for larger version

Name:	FCB5F999-43CC-415E-9D42-60EB90368E98.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	159728   Click image for larger version

Name:	32C3DD99-AABA-4459-B68F-B64E69986D7F.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	159729  
Old 03-01-2023, 02:45 AM   #168
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
Looks like some people are starting to get this in hand. I haven?t received any shipping notice yet.
Oh....interesting photos. In these pictures, the overall look of the portrait, seems more "toy like". Clearly the lighting has A LOT to do with it, but that gritty realism we expect from silicone seems to be quite muted under those "normal" lighting conditions.

For all of that, the likeness is great - what a piece.

I'm wondering though, if the price premium for the silicone is worth it, over the equally realistic PVC portrait (of course, minus the sculpted hair)....maybe, due to the hair style, rooted hair has less of an overall impact......decisions.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #169
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Oh....interesting photos. In these pictures, the overall look of the portrait, seems more "toy like". Clearly the lighting has A LOT to do with it, but that gritty realism we expect from silicone seems to be quite muted under those "normal" lighting conditions.

For all of that, the likeness is great - what a piece.

I'm wondering though, if the price premium for the silicone is worth it, over the equally realistic PVC portrait (of course, minus the sculpted hair)....maybe, due to the hair style, rooted hair has less of an overall impact......decisions.
I think the lighting is a little harsh. But even in the harsh lighting the likeness is great and you can see the details. Hopefully the tone of the skin is just because of the lighting though. I feel like the hair needs to be pulled back more if possible or slicked back more. Im going to trust those nice photos that were taken of this. Hopefully the American batch will have no bad surprises.

All of the IS, Queen and JND silicones are on another level for realism. I think silicone is far superior to the other materials, in terms of looking more lifelike.

Personally, I would go silicone versions for these LOTR 1/2 scales. The likeness is greater and has more of a “wow factor” with both of them. I think they’re a lot more impressive. The “regular” versions are well done as well though. They redid and improved Legolas’ portrait. If you’re already spending 2G’s, just spend 3G’s and don’t “cheap out” lol.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #170
Aidmit One
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Silicone is notoriously difficult to photograph. The lighting in photos always makes it end up looking either flat or like it's covered in grease/slime. The issue with these pics looks to be the lighting 100%; regardless, you can still see the realism and texture of the skin.
Aidmit One is offline   Reply With Quote