Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
Lego dimensions has knocked it out of the atmosphere
In what way exactly? All of the gameplay I have seen reminds me of every other Lego game ever released.... just with all of their franchises rolled into one.

While I am a big fan of the Lego toys themselves, their video games have always simply been amusing with some funny dialogue. Combat mechanics and platforming haven't exactly been their strong suit.

Last edited by Luminous; 09-30-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar error
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I have played some of the LEGO games as well, but from what I've seen of LEGO Dimensions it seems more like Skylanders or Disney Infinity than a traditional LEGO game. That's also obviously the market they're going after with this game.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I have played some of the LEGO games as well, but from what I've seen of LEGO Dimensions it seems more like Skylanders or Disney Infinity than a traditional LEGO game. That's also obviously the market they're going after with this game.
No right, I get that. It's definitely made to compete against those games. You buy the figures, they port in, each has different abilities, you play around and build your world. My comparison to previous Lego games is in reference to the core mechanics of combat, platforming and puzzle solving. That all looks the same as any other Lego game.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
In what way exactly? All of the gameplay I have seen reminds me of every other Lego game ever released.... just with all of their franchises rolled into one.

While I am a big fan of the Lego toys themselves, their video games have always simply been amusing with some funny dialogue. Combat mechanics and platforming haven't exactly been there strong suit.
first of all, the fact that you are not limited to just one character whilst playing is a big bonus IMO. Second, the interaction between all the different franchises - Simpsons, DC, Doctor Who, Lego Movie, LOTR, Scooby Doo, Ghostbusters - This is not just LEGO Batman or LOTR, it's all of them and they play TOGETHER

Third they are action figure that move, and you can play with them , not just static figures. And the vehicles have 3-1 modes.

LEGO has always been about fun so ofcourse don't expect X X X Y moves. Plus having most of the stars reprise their roles is fantastic. Michael J Fox & Christopher Lloyd? This is Heavy man! Peter capaldi as the Doctor?

https://youtu.be/jPeaYRVCgUc
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
first of all, the fact that you are not limited to just one character whilst playing is a big bonus IMO.
Each one without the ability to perform unique combos. The inclusion of more than one character just seems like an attempt to make a very basic combat system seem more appealing.

Quote:
Second, the interaction between all the different franchises - Simpsons, DC, Doctor Who, Lego Movie, LOTR, Scooby Doo, Ghostbusters - This is not just LEGO Batman or LOTR, it's all of them and they play TOGETHER
While there is certainly an impressive amount of licenses involved I could take or leave more than half of them.

Quote:
Third they are action figure that move, and you can play with them , not just static figures. And the vehicles have 3-1 modes.
Calling a Lego mini-fig an "action figure" seems like a stretch IMO. Not to mention that's all these things are, Lego mini-figs. I can still get these with standard Lego sets in a more cost effective manner. I'll take unique and interesting sculpts from my favorite franchises any day of the week.

Quote:
LEGO has always been about fun so ofcourse don't expect X X X Y moves. Plus having most of the stars reprise their roles is fantastic. Michael J Fox & Christopher Lloyd? This is Heavy man! Peter capaldi as the Doctor?

https://youtu.be/jPeaYRVCgUc
So more simplistic and less versatility always equals more fun? Not following that logic.

Certainly cool they have some celebs reprising their roles.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I like the idea of Lego Dimensions but it comes with Lego prices which, IMO are rather inflated for what you get!
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
MrYac
Hercules

i'm still sticking with Skylanders as my go to toys-to-life franchise.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

My son is a Skylander guy, and a LEGO guy so I'm going to be taking it pretty hard in the wallet this December, between his birthday and Christmas!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #19
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

My kids got Lego Dimensions on Sunday and I cannot state enough how much fin they are having with it. Disney Infinity was poorly received in my house and got little play in its first month and collected dust until I traded it in. That is despite having kids that LOVE many of the Disney franchises in it and being huge Minecraft heads.

On the flip side my wife and I rush to watch them play Dimensions to see the sheer joy and laughing it brings. The story mode is really, really fun and has goals and a story, something that Infinity is PAINFULLY missing. The characters and voice acting in Dimensions is also fabulous. Honestly if I cannot sell you on Batman going after the Scarecrow in Oz because he momentarily believes the world hopping is a hallucination nothing will sell you on it.

Additionally I cannot tell you how boring Disney Infinity is having bought them the first one and been given the second by a co-worker whose kids hated it as well.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
My kids got Lego Dimensions on Sunday and I cannot state enough how much fin they are having with it. Disney Infinity was poorly received in my house and got little play in its first month and collected dust until I traded it in. That is despite having kids that LOVE many of the Disney franchises in it and being huge Minecraft heads.

On the flip side my wife and I rush to watch them play Dimensions to see the sheer joy and laughing it brings. The story mode is really, really fun and has goals and a story, something that Infinity is PAINFULLY missing. The characters and voice acting in Dimensions is also fabulous. Honestly if I cannot sell you on Batman going after the Scarecrow in Oz because he momentarily believes the world hopping is a hallucination nothing will sell you on it.

Additionally I cannot tell you how boring Disney Infinity is having bought them the first one and been given the second by a co-worker whose kids hated it as well.
If your comparisons to Disney are only on the 1.0 and maybe even some of 2.0 then yeah, you're completely right about the boring and lacking story mode. However, in 3.0 (the introduction of Star Wars) they really went all out in making sure each Play Set had a great campaign mode. I can't speak to much else since I have no experience with Dimensions, but I think the comparisons that are going to be made out there from reviewers will be on Dimensions and Infinity 3.0.