Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
sheople
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Question Your gaming system

I am building a game machine because I am trying to get ready for Crysis. I started off with a nForce 680i SLI 775 A1 Version(My buddy works for EVGA ). I was wondering if any of you guys are running this board? Next I was thinking of going with the Duo Core 2 6300 because I heard you can overclock this cpu like a mofo (excuse my lang.). After that maybe 2 gigs of Corsair mem? Everything is still up in the air, but I wanted to know what you guys are running.
sheople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

an xbox 360
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Atari 2600.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Dont know much about PCs, cause i only use Macs. But do yourself a favor and only use Seagate HDs and Crucial Memory. Never had a problem with them.

Doubtfull you will need to overclock a core duo 2 with any of the games out there (unless playing vanguard). I used my Mackbook Pro with WoW last year and it had a Core Duo in it, 2gig ram, with a 256 vid card. I had every setting on max and still no lag or vid chopping. Ran way smoother then the PC i built into a macintosh Quicksilver case, but thats a coffee table now...
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
sketch515
Artist
ArtistProducer

x-box 360, nintendo wii and the classic 8 bit nintendo
sketch515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
sheople
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Dont know much about PCs, cause i only use Macs. But do yourself a favor and only use Seagate HDs and Crucial Memory. Never had a problem with them.

Doubtfull you will need to overclock a core duo 2 with any of the games out there (unless playing vanguard). I used my Mackbook Pro with WoW last year and it had a Core Duo in it, 2gig ram, with a 256 vid card. I had every setting on max and still no lag or vid chopping. Ran way smoother then the PC i built into a macintosh Quicksilver case, but thats a coffee table now...
I will check out the parts you suggested
sheople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Don't have the skill to battle other players or AI. So i'm in the process of building myself a mini-arcade mame machine.
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
J Storm
Birdman

xbox 360
J Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
htwhlr
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Xbox 360, Xbox, & PS2
htwhlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

How much you intend to spend? The nForce board you're using has dual PCI-E slots, so you could run two GPUs. If you go that route, especially with the Core Duo and possible over-clocking, you'll want to give quite a bit of thought to heat dissipation. Good call on going with the 6300 as opposed to the 6400, not much difference to justify the price gap (especially if you're going to over-clock). Definitely go with after-market heat-sinks, or possibly consider a water-cooling solution. You can over-clock the 6300, I've heard of some people getting it up to 3.5 Ghz, but I wouldn't push it that hard. It wouldn't be very stable and you'd need a major cooling solution... I think I'd take it to 2.8 Ghz or so. Should be more than enough.

Something that often gets overlooked in assembling a gaming rig is one of the most important things... keyboard and mouse. They're the tactical input for the games, the mouse is especially important in a FPS. I've always been a huge fan of the mouses offered by Razor. My personal favorite is the Razor Copperhead. They also make a mean gaming keyboard in the Tarantula, but it comes with a fairly steep price at $100 or so.

Something else to consider is the Belkin Nostromo Speedpad N52 for FPS instead of the keyboard. Some people swear by it and it's added functionality, others stick with the keyboard. I've never tried it, but from all appearances it would be more ergonomic and could give you a slight edge.

All this reminds me, I need to build a new computer...
Spatial.Archite is offline   Reply With Quote