Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-10-2022, 02:23 AM   #1
pdenham
Teen Titans

Kotobukiya touch up - water based acrylic or enamel?

I got paint flaw on my Koto Iron Man that was recently released.

There's a line of yellow underpaint in the red part of the costume that the painter (and the QC checker) somehow missed and didn't cover with the red.
Color matching doesn't seem like it will be super critical as they used a lot of dark shading for this fig. Any dark red, verging to black, would probably suffice.

My big problem is- this figure has a heavy, thick gloss coat. I'm going to need to sand that off first to get any paint adhesion, especially if I use the acrylics.

Enamel, like a straight up nail polish, would probably adhere as is- but is that enamel going to negatively react with whatever it is that Koto is using here ( which I'm assuming is a heavy acrylic gloss )?

If I do go with acrylics though, how difficult is it going to be to re-gloss that spot after- and have the new gloss be seamless with the surrounding existing coat?

I was thinking I'd use this opportunity to advance my meager skill set. But after a bunch of other recent frustrations, I'm not digging the idea of potentially messing up a $300 figure when I should just ask for a replacement, since it wasn't me that screwed it up to begin with.

Any experts here have any thoughts?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:30 AM   #2
pdenham
Teen Titans

It's that thin strip of yellow on the top rim of his belt.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #3
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I only use acrylics, but you could use duplicolor adhesion promoter instead of sanding (basically a clear primer of sorts), and you could then use acrylics over that, and do a thick car clear coat finish as the end to match the stock glossiness. Matching the metallic will be the most difficult. Not sure if enamels are the only way to achieve that, but I think you could get close with some Createx colors, since its such a small area.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:30 AM   #4
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks for the reply UP!

I have it boxed up now so I can't check the color atm, but the red that i need to match didn't seem all that metallic. The thing that stuck out was how thick that gloss coat was.

I was steeling myself up to do the sanding soon- but I'll look into the duplicolor. That seems like it might be the way to go.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Thanks for the reply UP!

I have it boxed up now so I can't check the color atm, but the red that i need to match didn't seem all that metallic. The thing that stuck out was how thick that gloss coat was.

I was steeling myself up to do the sanding soon- but I'll look into the duplicolor. That seems like it might be the way to go.

Thanks!
No problem! I've used the Adhesion Promoter for clear resin, as the "primer" before, and over factory clear coats too, and it's been great. Here's some links if you need'em:

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/adhesion-promoter/

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-C.../dp/B0007UAXJQ This is a decent price for it.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...572/10097735-p
Old 07-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #6
pdenham
Teen Titans

Funny enough, turns out I already own a can of Duplicolor.

I bought a bunch of modeling supplies several years back and then, as these things happen, put it all aside and moved on to other interests.

I'll probably need to pick up some more paint though as I don't think I have any reds that aren't clear.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Even owning it, I'm sure I never would have thought to use that stuff for this on my own.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:48 PM   #7
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Funny enough, turns out I already own a can of Duplicolor.

I bought a bunch of modeling supplies several years back and then, as these things happen, put it all aside and moved on to other interests.

I'll probably need to pick up some more paint though as I don't think I have any reds that aren't clear.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Even owning it, I'm sure I never would have thought to use that stuff for this on my own.
No problem. I hope it works well for you!