Statue Forum 





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

» Spotlight
Dechirico Diamond Select Gwenpool Statue BDL Diamond Select Black Panther Statue DGK Sideshow COTD Poxxil Exclusive PF Comic Soon:
Clay Moore - Inside Stories
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #991
xellos49698
A day without sunshine is like... night.
 
xellos49698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central IL
Posts: 226
It just boggled my mind to think that someone would start a kick starter to create these Dejah trading cards and then charge so much for it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-sketch-cards

I mean for 1200 dollars you could buy 300 packs of Magic the Gathering cards; at least that is an investment that could pay off down the road.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:18 AM   #992
gagaliya
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos49698 View Post
It just boggled my mind to think that someone would start a kick starter to create these Dejah trading cards and then charge so much for it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-sketch-cards

I mean for 1200 dollars you could buy 300 packs of Magic the Gathering cards; at least that is an investment that could pay off down the road.
They are not selling, if you see the Kickstarter ended in 2018 with only a handful of backers for the expensive sets. Sideshow is just getting the unsold inventory for pennies on the dollar and selling them for full retail price to the clueless fan base hoping for impulse buy. As many statue collectors aren’t savvy about collectible cards.

The real value for those cards are probably 1/10 of the retail price, probably still being way too generous.

Sideshow has been doing that a lot lately - bringing in completely unrelated stuff they got pennies on the dollar then try to sell them way overpriced leveraging their existing fan base. Be very careful when buying all those new product types, most are all significantly inflated in price.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:05 AM   #993
Jiggatron69
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
They are not selling, if you see the Kickstarter ended in 2018 with only a handful of backers for the expensive sets. Sideshow is just getting the unsold inventory for pennies on the dollar and selling them for full retail price to the clueless fan base hoping for impulse buy. As many statue collectors aren’t savvy about collectible cards.

The real value for those cards are probably 1/10 of the retail price, probably still being way too generous.

Sideshow has been doing that a lot lately - bringing in completely unrelated stuff they got pennies on the dollar then try to sell them way overpriced leveraging their existing fan base. Be very careful when buying all those new product types, most are all significantly inflated in price.
Are they owned by private equity because that sounds a lot like what private equity does with speculative assets.
Jiggatron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #994
gagaliya
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggatron69 View Post
Are they owned by private equity because that sounds a lot like what private equity does with speculative assets.
sideshow? not sure if they took on any private equity money but last i checked they are still a privately owned company with no outside investors. It's pretty obvious their core business is drying up so they finding new sources of revenue. Most of those "new" products are either unsold inventory they bought for pennies on dollar in volume from vendor liquidations, or they are just the distributor with no inventory risk.

this $1200 set for example sold on eBay for $500 with just 1 bid, probably some clueless buyer getting it as a xmas gift for someone, people tend to way overpay during holidays. Collectible cards market is insanely tough to get it right, even the pros lose money there often.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sideshow-Co...p2047675.l2557
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #995
chronos1919
Hydra
 
chronos1919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 962
I don't believe that a company expanding their offerings indicates that their core business is drying up. Companies don't generally settle into stagnation when there is additional money that could be generated.

SS is likely the distributor for a majority of the 3rd party items they are selling. Which means there really isn't any monetary risk to them if they don't sell.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #996
The General
Hercules
 
The General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brooklyn baby!
Posts: 14,779
I wish I had the extra money to pick this one up.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #997
gagaliya
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
I don't believe that a company expanding their offerings indicates that their core business is drying up. Companies don't generally settle into stagnation when there is additional money that could be generated.

SS is likely the distributor for a majority of the 3rd party items they are selling. Which means there really isn't any monetary risk to them if they don't sell.
you really can't tell the difference in sideshow's statue sales in the last 2 years vs say 5 years ago?
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #998
xellos49698
A day without sunshine is like... night.
 
xellos49698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central IL
Posts: 226
Regarding Sideshows inventory, I doubt many people could keep track of everything they sell.

Now for what Sideshow can't sell, that's a bit easier, just look at there listing for the 25 dollar promo codes.

Anyhow, there is plenty of free fan art of Dejah Thoris, and art prints, which are way more affordable.

https://www.etsy.com/in-en/listing/2...h-thoris-print
Attached Thumbnails
Dejah Thoris.jpg  
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #999
chronos1919
Hydra
 
chronos1919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
you really can't tell the difference in sideshow's statue sales in the last 2 years vs say 5 years ago?
Correct. I have no idea how much revenue they’re generating from statue sales. Neither do you. Enough to keep releasing more statues, apparently.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #1000
dechirico7
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer
 
dechirico7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 16,618
I remember them opening that card collection on a video.
Didnt look worth it to me.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com