Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-18-2023, 12:37 AM   #1
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

The Last Of Us (Spoiler Discussion)

I've been looking forward to this, especially when I heard the creator of Chernobyl was attached. The opening couple minutes with that expert laying out the sobering potential threat of a fungal pandemic was really effective. I'm glad they took the time to show a significant portion of how the outbreak came about, and the entire sequence had me riveted. I was pleasantly surprised to see Anna Torv later on, loved her in Fringe, and haven't seen her in much since.

As a PC gamer, I've never played the games, though I did watch a playthrough of the first game a few years ago. One difference seems to be that the fungal infection isn't spread via spores, but rather via direct contact/bites with the infected's mouth tendrils. However I can understand how you wouldn't want your characters faces covered in masks a lot of the time. Looks like we'll get 9 episodes, and this first one clocked in at 80 minutes, me like
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:50 AM   #2
Bottled_Water
Birdman

I was disappointed to see spores go, thought the concept was unique and anxiety inducing. They mentioned it was problematic due to how easily someone could become infected, and thus wouldn't be realistic unless they wore gasmasks at all times. Personally, I was willing to suspend my disbelief if people chose to not wear masks (real world examples of that recently), but oh well.

The show is up to a great start and I can't wait for the next episode; if it follows the game then the next episode should be fantastic.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:05 AM   #3
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

How long until Abby and Joel go golfing?
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:10 AM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
How long until Abby and Joel go golfing?
depends on the ratings...
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:03 AM   #5
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

So what happened to this stalker/clicker thing? Interesting how it's stuck to the wall like that. Pretty wicked practical effects

Old 01-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #6
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

I love that they did another flashback to the beginning of the outbreak. The mycologist inspecting the corpse was chilling, and the juxtaposition of a scientist telling a military man that the best course of action is to bomb the city and everyone in it, that was fascinating.

The flow of the episode had a very video-game feel to it, and I'm seeing people mention how closely some of the sets and locations resemble their counterparts from the game...in addition to the clickers, wow. The ability of cordyceps to sense something in one location and then awaken a group of infected elsewhere to attack is a nice additional element to the zombie convention...an extra bit of peril to be constantly aware of.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:01 AM   #7
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I never played the game but had watched videos on Twitch here and there. I am thoroughly enjoying the show. So far not a bad thing to say about it. Even my girlfriend who hates zombie shows likes it....that is saying a lot. LOL
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:31 AM   #8
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
So what happened to this stalker/clicker thing? Interesting how it's stuck to the wall like that. Pretty wicked practical effects

After a long time the host breaks down and becomes all fungi. Sort of lay down or against something and stops.

I love the sets and make up in this show, really impressed the attention and budget behind it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #9
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I will say this. Played and beat both games multiple times. I know the they had to have a strong showing for the first appearance of the stage 3 clickers. Joel sure struggles to kill them when he claims to have killed a bunch. Aside from that, pretty great game to tv show.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
Wizard
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottled_Water View Post
I was disappointed to see spores go, thought the concept was unique and anxiety inducing. They mentioned it was problematic due to how easily someone could become infected, and thus wouldn't be realistic unless they wore gasmasks at all times. Personally, I was willing to suspend my disbelief if people chose to not wear masks (real world examples of that recently), but oh well.

The show is up to a great start and I can't wait for the next episode; if it follows the game then the next episode should be fantastic.
I accept the reasoning for the spores not translating exactly into the tv context, but I will miss Ellie foregoing a mask when Joel had to wear one in infected, closed areas. It made for further distinction between Ellie and everyone one else - she was different, maybe the only one to save humanity.

The show?s production values are top notch. The game?s imprint on the show is very good, most notably Ellie and Joel?s dialogue and mannerisms.

Is it too early for casting suggestions of Abby, Dina and Owen? Will Bella Ramsey (Ellie) look appropriately older? The actress is currently 19, so maybe.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote