Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: Would you rather have fully sculpted or mixed media Premium Format statues?
Fully Sculpted 133 58.85%
Mixed Media 93 41.15%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
GUILTY GEAR
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
mixed media helps minimize the amount of paint app issues and adds more realism to a piece. A lot of Marvel pieces look bad in the format though.
did u already sold all ur life size stuff?
GUILTY GEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
coolandwarm
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

mixed media makes it harder on recasters.
coolandwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
DRAGONTHEBOMB
I am da law!

Mixed Media...gives it that Museum quality to my collection
DRAGONTHEBOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #24
elijah_snow
I'm the Fourth Man

No need to pick as they will both continue to be produced, its just that "premiuim format" can mean either....1/4 scale is the only requirement

There are great examples of both, but if I absolutely had to choose it would be fully sculpted...the primary reason being that some statues (and this is just my opinion folks, so go easy) can be "hurt" (for lack of a better word) by having the mixed media/fabric applied where it doesn't really make sense, or where the fabric doesn't really add to the piece (Sabretooth and Wolvie's "pajamas" spring to mind) or, because the fabric is of a lesser quality (a lot of Thor PFs have that unforunate "see through" effect because the fabric was so thin and as much as I love the Cap PF, you can't help but wonder how long it will be before those pants start to deteriorate)

I know a lot of folks are clamoring for a Daredevil PF with a fabric/material costume, and I gotta tell you--that would be outrageously hard to do without looking foolish...my point is sometimes the mixed media looks forced---just so SSC could call it a PF. Look at the recent Cyclops--was there really a good reason to put the jacket on that character other than it being a "requirement"? The jacket doesn't look bad, but contextually speaking--it made no sense. I'm the biggest Cyke fan alive and I can recall less than a handful of times he wore a bomber jacket in the comics.

The two most recent examples (again---in my opinion) would be the Psylocke PF where the fabric just looks like cheap spandex or the Colossus PF where the tunic just doesn't fit right (at least that's the impression I got from early pics and why I passed on the piece)

That being said, there are also some GREAT mixed media examples---my favorite probably being the leatherette material on the Bucky Cap---that was just INCREDIBLY well done. Other obvious examples would be Doom, Red Skull and Gambit

Just my take.
elijah_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #25
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
mixed media helps minimize the amount of paint app issues and adds more realism to a piece. A lot of Marvel pieces look bad in the format though.
That is probably it's biggest advantage.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #26
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Mixed media for characters that wear clothes and other types of garments. Fully sculpted for those characters that do not (i.e. Aliens, Silver Surfer, Iron Man, Rhino, etc.).

As long as its 1/4 I will take either.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #27
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUILTY GEAR View Post
did u already sold all ur life size stuff?
nope
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #28
bearmdel
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Hi!

I haven't read all the replies but if you say "Premium Format", by definition it is Mixed Media. A fully sculpted piece is not a PF so I don't think the question makes sense...

But if you are asking if one prefers Mixed Media(PF) or a fully sculpted piece, I prefer premium formats for movie related characters because it gives the representation of a character a more realistic look, in my opinion, although some fully sculpted piece like maquettes can represent a character as well such as Iron Man Mark I or the new Darth Maul - Mythos statue because although the real characters have fabric Sideshow chose to sculpt that rather than add a mixed media to it.

When it comes to comic book characters such as Juggernaut or Spiderman statues, I think the fully sculpted pieces are better....

Just my humble opinion, of course...

Cheers

Bear
bearmdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #29
OdinsBeard
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

As many of the others have said... It's all subjective. but I chose Mixed Media as My Gambit Premium format is work of art, and Think the Coat is simply Amazing.
OdinsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
elijah_snow
I'm the Fourth Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmdel View Post
"Premium Format", by definition it is Mixed Media. A fully sculpted piece is not a PF so I don't think the question makes sense...
Not true anymore.....SSC has said that their stance going forward is that the only requirement going forward is that the piece be 1/4 scale...so ALL 1/4 scale pieces, regardless of mixed media or fully sculpted, are considered premium format.
elijah_snow is offline   Reply With Quote