Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 AM   #51
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Either way, Sideshow has built their company on mixed media statues. No matter how many of us prefer fully sculpted pieces (I do), I can't see Sideshow eliminating cloth from their statues.
BOTTOM LINE.
They do plenty of fully sculpted pieces. But nobody can expect them to abandon cloth when it’s what made them successful.

When I’m at conventions and see people react to statues the sideshow stuff with cloth always reels people in. My first ss statue was Black Panther. I thought it was cool he had a cloth cape.

At this point I have no personal preference. Just make a good looking statue that lasts without cracking, leaning, unfurling, melting, dying or exploding.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:09 AM   #52
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

I think it all depends on the piece. I really enjoy my MM pieces despite me originally setting out to be a polystone purist. I felt the MM element meant they weren’t statues and it made my collection seem juvenile. I was wrong.

Where I would like to see a change is for MM heavy pieces to be more affordable. My Kylo Ren PF is entirely cloth with very little paintwork. Textile is cheap. Instead the maquette which is MM-free has gone up in price for that reason. It was a smart move by SS to differentiate the lines.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #53
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I'm not sure anything would've made the first XM HULK look much better. But, I do get the point you're trying to make. I personally think it all boils down to sculpt and paint apps. I believe that cloth is unnecessary nowadays. With the incredible digital sculptors out there today, it's easier than ever to have sculpted cloth look very realistic today. I can see why cloth capes are still being used though. Not because it is hard to sculpt them but because of weight and leaning concerns. I'd still prefer a light weight fiberglass cape or something similar.

Either way, Sideshow has built their company on mixed media statues. No matter how many of us prefer fully sculpted pieces (I do), I can't see Sideshow eliminating cloth from their statues.
LOL, good point.

It is true of digital sculpt. I was blown away by GG's Cap Winter Soldier. I thought the outfit was fabric. I still prefer mixed media when it can be used and make the statue looks good (at least to me). Love the look of the pants on Logan statue.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #54
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
LOL, good point.

It is true of digital sculpt. I was blown away by GG's Cap Winter Soldier. I thought the outfit was fabric. I still prefer mixed media when it can be used and make the statue looks good (at least to me). Love the look of the pants on Logan statue.
I understand. We all have preferences. I'm almost always a fully sculpted guy. That said, the fabric used on the Modern Thor and Lobo PFs make the pieces look stunning to me. I own both PFs and I think the fabric on them gives both pieces a nice touch of realism. That said, PFs like the OG Wolverine and Sabertooth make me want every statue to be fully sculpted.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I've usually passed on fully sculpted pieces only because I didn't like the sculpt. However, I've definitely passed on PFs that I like based solely on the fact that I thought the fabric looked cheesy or cheap.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #55
GaryTonge
Kingpin

I've always found that mixed media works best on movie pieces. It kind of gives them a "prop" look. I recently got the Sideshow Legendary scale Yoda and can't imagine it any other way.

GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #56
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I've always found that mixed media works best on movie pieces. It kind of gives them a "prop" look. I recently got the Sideshow Legendary scale Yoda and can't imagine it any other way.

I definitely agree with you on that. Movie pieces look great in mixed media. I have no skin in that game though. I don't collect movie statues.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #57
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Yes, just about all material like this start to dry rot, especially if they are using really cheap vinyl or thread, in order to create these sort of mix media of clothing.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #58
Peedi
The Secret Six

“Dry rot.” It just sounds so bad lol. Good job.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #59
supermetroid
Teen Titans

While there are some great MM statues(Gambit, Lobo, Joker PF(1st)), there's many more I think would be way better sculpted instead like earlier pieces(Wolverine, Sabretooth, Doom on throne, Cap, Thor, Green Goblin, Colossus, etc.) and Batman and Superman PF's. And the new Logan, it's weird the tank top's sculpted and pants are fabric lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:27 AM   #60
craigcliff1
Zot

I read that baby oil works for pleather, so bought some and it worked awesome. .
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote