Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #21
Vas'rod
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

It's worst than that, collector-verse made their money on advertising on their site, the youtube royalties would still go to the reviewer, if I understand correctly what's being proposed here, statueforum is proposing to post the reviews in their youtube channel, therefore monetising on somebody else work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Others have tried this, Collector-Verse for example. The reality is that YouTube works pretty darn well. It’s easy to sub to content providers that you enjoy, and skip those that you don’t. They alert you when when new videos are uploaded.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #22
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

We don't monetize YouTube
Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #23
Vas'rod

Not now... but you still keeping somebody's else work, and it's not a voluntary thing, you are banning people from promoting their work... doesn't that fells wrong to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
We don't monetize YouTube
Old 02-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Let me ask you:
Do you think it would be ok if you posted, "That's a great looking statue!". Then, the next 30 posts are retailers promoting their site and their services to you? And, they continue to bump threads promoting their product, especially if they have overstock? Yet it doesn't end there. Another 100 retailers join in on the fun.

It's ok for everyone to take something from what has been created here but us wanting an archive and willing to promote those that help us is wrong. We have almost 5 million posts and a ton of members. It's not like we cannot help these reviewers generate more subscribers for their accounts.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #25
Vas'rod

Quote:
Let me ask you:
Do you think it would be ok if you posted, "That's a great looking statue!". Then, the next 30 posts are retailers promoting their site and their services to you? And, they continue to bump threads promoting their product, especially if they have overstock? Yet it doesn't end there. Another 100 retailers join in on the fun.
then forbid those promoting sites or services, not the reviewers.
Quote:
It's ok for everyone to take something from what has been created here but us wanting an archive and willing to promote those that help us is wrong. We have almost 5 million posts and a ton of members. It's not like we cannot help these reviewers generate more subscribers for their accounts.
You can promote reviewers by doing something like collector verse or mcecentral, not keeping in your channel something that you didn't made.
Most, I suspect, would probably be glad to make some content specific for statueforum, if you want to do a library with other peoples work, but not being coerced in giving their content to you.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #26
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

With the help of you members, hopefully we can make something that's great for everyone. Mind you, nearmint brought up the point of the con videos which is something I didn't think of and I agreed with him.
I might not have all the right answers at this moment but hopefully with everyone's help, we will.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #27
dechirico7
The Flash

It was nice talking to you Danny.

I am willing to do more content, as long as it benefits the both of us.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think what some people are saying, at least in part, is that they would like the ability to remove their content whenever they wish, without having to ask permission to do so. It's their content so it's understandable that they would want to have complete control over it. After all, this isn't really work for hire. It can take hours to days to put together a review. It seems like you are asking, perhaps even mandating, for some kind of an entitlement or ownership of said content in order to create a StatueForum library for long term access. That's going to rub some people the wrong way.

It seems like the only one bothered by the status quo is you so any proposed changes to the status quo risks coming off like the one likely benefiting the most from any changes would be you.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #29
risingstar
Jedi Order

The reality is that this isn't 2005 anymore (i.e., when I first joined SF). The landscape for reviewing and reporting pop collectibles news has vastly changed. There are now countless options. Speaking for myself for a moment, I find StatueForum quite limiting in terms of how much we can do. The pics show up as smaller, compressed, and the traffic isn't what it used to be, and perhaps most concerning is the realization that the forum is not as relevant to the community as it once was. Somewhere along the line, it began to stagnate. Sure, there are solutions for this -- but I'm not sure what you are suggesting will succeed in reaching this objective as it risks coming off like you're biting the hand that feeds you.

While I am still among the main reviewers at SF, and likely have been reviewing longer than anyone at the forum, I've had to consider other options if only to evolve in how I like to review. I can share links if you like to show you what I think a good review looks like. You may then compare it to the reviews I post here. Both reviews would be mine, for example.

All this to say, perhaps having a more open discussion with the people you definitely need to contribute to your project would be a good place to start on looking for solutions.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #30
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I think what some people are saying, at least in part, is that they would like the ability to remove their content whenever they wish, without having to ask permission to do so. It's their content so it's understandable that they would want to have complete control over it. After all, this isn't really work for hire. It can take hours to days to put together a review. It seems you are asking for some kind of an entitlement or ownership of said content in order to create a StatueForum library for long term access. That's going to rub some people the wrong way.

It seems like the only one bothered by the status quo is you so any proposed changes to the status quo risks coming off like the one likely benefitting the most from any changes would be you.
I think they are more concerned with people just posting monetized links that dont contribute. Which I understand. I have no problem sharing content, as long as it benefits both sides.
Closed Thread