Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #1
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Capullo: Court of the Owls - Wise Investment?

Hi guys,

Just seeking some opinion, at it's current prices, would you still see Greg Capullo's art from the Batman Court of the Owls storyline as a good investment?

Don't get me wrong, I would be buying the page because I love it, but I'm also interested in the potential of this being a long term investment also.

Thoughts?
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Hi guys,

Just seeking some opinion, at it's current prices, would you still see Greg Capullo's art from the Batman Court of the Owls storyline as a good investment?

Don't get me wrong, I would be buying the page because I love it, but I'm also interested in the potential of this being a long term investment also.

Thoughts?
Has anything happened or have u read anything to make u second guess?
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Hi guys,

Thoughts?
I see 2 questions here.

Is this a good investment? NO

Is this a good long term investment? This depends on how you define long term. I still have to say no.

I think you answered your own question when you said that you would be buying because you love it and that is a good enough reason IMHO.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
aric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I see 2 questions here.

Is this a good investment? NO

Is this a good long term investment? This depends on how you define long term. I still have to say no.

I think you answered your own question when you said that you would be buying because you love it and that is a good enough reason IMHO.
soooo hard to speculate on whether it's a good investment....capullo is a pretty big star, and there aren't many of his pages in circulation. If that remains the case, the prices may go up
Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I love Capullo and buy his work just because of that.

A little personal back story to maybe help you that Im sure a few here can relate with...

Im in my late 40's now, I started reading comics before my tweens (70's), I see VERY FEW comics today that I recognize from back then that are worth calling an "investment".

So, depending on what or how much you consider an investment vs a profit (a couple hundred bucks) be prepared to hold onto those comics for 30 years regardless. Also these (70's comics) werent mass produced like they are today. Companies have caught on to the pop culture fad and are mass producing to turn profit.

**Also remember a collectible is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

GL
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
aric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
I love Capullo and buy his work just because of that.

A little personal back story to maybe help you that Im sure a few here can relate with...

Im in my late 40's now, I started reading comics before my tweens (70's), I see VERY FEW comics today that I recognize from back then that are worth calling an "investment".

So, depending on what or how much you consider an investment vs a profit (a couple hundred bucks) be prepared to hold onto those comics for 30 years regardless. Also these (70's comics) werent mass produced like they are today. Companies have caught on to the pop culture fad and are mass producing to turn profit.

**Also remember a collectible is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

GL
comic are a whole different ball game from comic art.....
Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
comic are a whole different ball game from comic art.....
I didnt realize thats what he meant. Thought "page" was maybe a language difference
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

Good investment? Short answer - NO.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Investment for what? What are you looking to gain? If you like the piece, if you can EASILY AFFORD IT, then get it.

Don't get the piece if you're speculating that it'll be worth a fortune and you want to flip it and retire.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Hard to say what prices will be like in 5 to 10 years. Will this story stand the test of time?

That being said, there is already a heavy markup on these pages. I'm not sure what these pages would do on the open market now or in the future. I wouldn't buy for investment, if you can afford it and want it I'd go for it but I wouldn't count on that money being there if/when you sell.