Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Smile What is a DC Direct GRAIL to you??? Share yours with the whole world!!!

Everybody has an opinion on what a "Grail Piece" is, or what it should be. But what do you think??
Feel free to express your opinion and to post proudly your DC Direct Grail photos.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
slade777
The Spirit

to me the top dc direct pieces are batman vs killer croc diorama and green lantern vs parallax dio.
slade777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade777 View Post
to me the top dc direct pieces are batman vs killer croc diorama and green lantern vs parallax dio.
Great choice.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade777 View Post
Those two and Superman vs. Wonder Woman are awesome. Also the Joker 1:2 bust is hands down the best bust in that scale.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Those two and Superman vs. Wonder Woman are awesome. Also the Joker 1:2 bust is hands down the best bust in that scale.
I might be in the minority, but I think the 1:2 Two-Face bust is well done also.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I think the 1:2 Two-Face bust is well done also.
I own that one as well and the sculpt is indeed spectacular. The only thing that lets that one down a bit is that the paint is a touch flat and doesn't have the depth of the Jokers. Having said that I will take a Bergholtz bust in my collection anytime!
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I guess the two personal grails that I went through the trouble of acquiring would be the Gotham Girls Animated Catwoman statue and the old William Paquette Swamp Thing statue. With Catwoman, I scoured eBay for a couple months until I found a listing for one that had a broken pinkie finger. It was repainted in such a way that the missing finger is only really noticeable when you look at the statue from straight above. So I was perfectly happy to pay original MSRP for a piece that usually seems to go for several times that amount. Now I'm hoping to add the Batman TAS Batman and Joker maquettes to my collection in the near future.

With Swamp Thing, I eventually realized that the various "Buy It Now" listings on eBay aren't representative of the statue's real value. I wound up winning one for just under $70 once I found an actual auction.

In terms of a grail I'd really like to own but probably never will, there's the Batman vs. Killer Croc dio. It's easily one of the best-looking statues DCD ever put out, but the aftermarket value is just too much. Unless I happen to walk into a comic shop still selling it for MSRP, I don't expect to own one.

I've also thought about buying the Joker 1:2 scale bust, as that's another great-looking piece. But even though I've had a couple opportunities, I've held off because I don't collect 1:2 scale busts and don't want to open that floodgate.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

My DCD/DCC collection is all female mainly Cover Girls statues and Women of DCU busts. My grail from those is the first Wonder Woman statue for the AH line. I feel like the statue captured the WW cover that its based on beautifully.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

The original Bowen Batman statue & the batgirl animated statue where she's sitting on the bat signal are the 2 pieces I consider "grails" for DCD. Others are more "meh. If I ever find a good deal"
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Even though some people may not consider it, I prefer the Superman vs Darkseid over the Batman vs Killer Croc diorama, although I do understand why the second one is such a sought out piece. But this is my personal preference and has nothing to do with market value.