Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Auto Shop

Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
cblakey1
Cyclops

I think the goal today is kiddish and toy-like. It's all about Fast and Furious riceburners. It's like they want them to be like the toy electric cars that you had as a kid that sped around a toy track. Most of the cars today are produced to high performance spec and there's not alot you can do to 'em to make 'em sound cool other than aftermarket ground kits and thin-assed tires.

Heck, back in the day we could put fat tires on the back with traction bars and smaller tires on the front. Even punch a hole in the muffler to get a cool sound. Today though tire shops advise against it and won't even do it if you asked them to.

On my last car which was a 5 speed 4 cylinder I put on a cold air intake, replacing the constrictive stock air filter and it was great. Sounded cool and even got a little more performance out of it. That was about the extent of what I could do to make it inspection passable.

Cars just ain't what they used to be which is sad. Nowadays you just can't imagine any new car being tricked out any more than how it came off of the assembly line.

I'm trying to decide if I should do it to my new 4 cylinder automatic.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Ok, back in my days, we used to add Thrush mufflers to get that real deep motor sound. But I don't get the ones they are putting on cars now. Sort of a high pitched 50cc dirt bike sound. IMO, makes the cars seem kiddish and not manly.
You mean you could do that with Edsels and Studebakers?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
You mean you could do that with Edsels and Studebakers?
:tounge:
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
Perfecto
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Back in the day, we used to place baseball cards by the spokes of our bicycles to get a vroooom sound.

Perfecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

ugghhh ... those fart pipes drive me crazy

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
I think the goal today is kiddish and toy-like. It's all about Fast and Furious riceburners. It's like they want them to be like the toy electric cars that you had as a kid that sped around a toy track. Most of the cars today are produced to high performance spec and there's not alot you can do to 'em to make 'em sound cool other than aftermarket ground kits and thin-assed tires.

Heck, back in the day we could put fat tires on the back with traction bars and smaller tires on the front. Even punch a hole in the muffler to get a cool sound. Today though tire shops advise against it and won't even do it if you asked them to.

On my last car which was a 5 speed 4 cylinder I put on a cold air intake, replacing the constrictive stock air filter and it was great. Sounded cool and even got a little more performance out of it. That was about the extent of what I could do to make it inspection passable.

Cars just ain't what they used to be which is sad. Nowadays you just can't imagine any new car being tricked out any more than how it came off of the assembly line.

I'm trying to decide if I should do it to my new 4 cylinder automatic.
ok, this is just lack of knowledge about current cars. I've loved cars since I was a kid and my family has owned corvettes from the 50,60,70,80 same with camaros. I own a 98 camaro making 450hp to the wheels, that's almost 500 at the crank. You can do some crazy stuff with new cars while still getting decent gas mileage , handling , and passing emmisions.

Hell , just ask any of my family who've owned old muscle and they'll tell you that the new camaros, mustangs ,corvettes are far superior to anything that was made in the past. That's not saing those cars were cool because they still are and beautiful too. Also with the internet ,it's pretty easy to make a car faster with forums and those people testing and trying things out .

I have some expensive hobbies.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Back in the day, we used to place baseball cards by the spokes of our bicycles to get a vroooom sound.

You beat me to it! I was totally going to say this!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
patrickwm68
The Flash

I had a 69 Mustang back in the 80's. The louder it was the better. Thrush mufflers were great but they rusted out fast, glass packs were even louder. I still remember a cop pulling me over and threatening to ticket me because my car was too loud even though I passed inspection. He said I didn't pass his inspection.

patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
ok, this is just lack of knowledge about current cars. I've loved cars since I was a kid and my family has owned corvettes from the 50,60,70,80 same with camaros. I own a 98 camaro making 450hp to the wheels, that's almost 500 at the crank. You can do some crazy stuff with new cars while still getting decent gas mileage , handling , and passing emmisions.

Hell , just ask any of my family who've owned old muscle and they'll tell you that the new camaros, mustangs ,corvettes are far superior to anything that was made in the past. That's not saing those cars were cool because they still are and beautiful too. Also with the internet ,it's pretty easy to make a car faster with forums and those people testing and trying things out .

I have some expensive hobbies.
Dude, do me a favor and strip my quote from your post.

Did I say anywhere in my post I know anything about current cars? I was giving my impression of what I see. Nothing more.

I'm not too impressed by your current or childhood enthusiasm with cars either, and won't be asking your family members about their muscle cars because not knowing their qualifications, theirs, like mine are just opinions.

I never professed to be knowledgeable in this area and don't appreciate you choosing me to cite in your rant.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #20
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

I was merely stating that your perception is due to lack of knowledge. I was at no point calling you out . Although , I do love how you took it so personally.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote