Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 03-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #71
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Congratulations on a great bust ...Definitely will get everyone that comes into your man caves attention.
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #72
Jack Burton
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Congratulations on a great bust ...Definitely will get everyone that comes into your man caves attention.
Man cave? Living room. 😎 It’ll be scaring relatives when they come over. 😂
Jack Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #73
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
I just don’t think translucent resin is the best material to replicate creatures made out of latex. I’ve felt this way for a while but have been told that translucent resin photographs strangely. After having it in person, my thoughts are confirmed. Just being objective about it. Most people won’t admit faults of things they’ve just bought.

I need to talk to Rafael Robledo jr. I know he gets all of these ecc pieces. I just want it to look more like the material from the movie (latex?).
Especially faults they see even with their own eyes but hope others don't. Good on you man for being honest first and foremost with yourself.
I've figured out a lot over my time collecting and the extreme majority of decisions as to what all goes into these are not to the customers' benefit but detriment, constrained to the lowest common denominator for mass production.
The more and more I feel duped the less enjoyable this hobby has become. Spending this kind of money to feel had by an illusion that lasts just past the return period isn't a goal of mine.

I believe a lot of SFX have moved over to silicone which can also be translucent, tinted, and impregnated unlike most latex. I've often wondered if ECC tints their translucent resin or just leaves it all to paint. Some of their translucent resins look "pale" but they can't cover with too much paint or the translucence will be lost. Of course all of what goes into these is constrained to the lowest common denominator for mass production.

Quote:
Man cave? Living room. �� It’ll be scaring relatives when they come over. ��
Where your trophy proudly belongs!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #74
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Especially faults they see even with their own eyes but hope others don't. Good on you man for being honest first and foremost with yourself.
I've figured out a lot over my time collecting and the extreme majority of decisions as to what all goes into these are not to the customers' benefit but detriment, constrained to the lowest common denominator for mass production.
The more and more I feel duped the less enjoyable this hobby has become. Spending this kind of money to feel had by an illusion that lasts just past the return period isn't a goal of mine.

I believe a lot of SFX have moved over to silicone which can also be translucent, tinted, and impregnated unlike most latex. I've often wondered if ECC tints their translucent resin or just leaves it all to paint. Some of their translucent resins look "pale" but they can't cover with too much paint or the translucence will be lost. Of course all of what goes into these is constrained to the lowest common denominator for mass production.

Where your trophy proudly belongs!
I definitely realize it’s not perfect, but I still really like it. Just deciding whether to mess with it or not. I changed up the lighting, and it the gloss isn’t *too* distracting. Just wondering if a matte finish will give it the look I want, or if that would require a repaint. If a matte spray would work, then awesome!!!! If it would require a full repaint...I’m not looking to go that far.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #75
Vader
Ghost

maybe you're right. 30 sounds right. 40 total for the Lisker. I mixed them up.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:01 PM   #76
Vader
Ghost

Quote:
I just don’t think translucent resin is the best material to replicate creatures made out of latex. I’ve felt this way for a while but have been told that translucent resin photographs strangely. After having it in person, my thoughts are confirmed. Just being objective about it. Most people won’t admit faults of things they’ve just bought.

I need to talk to Rafael Robledo jr. I know he gets all of these ecc pieces. I just want it to look more like the material from the movie (latex?).
the irony is that the latex is meant to look like skin. So this translucent resin is meant to replicate what the creature is intended to look like if it were alive, as opposed to looking like the latex prop. if you look at the back, you can really see the detail. it looks so real.

it would look less impressive as latex. It's like the original props often require lighting, etc. to be as impressive as they are. Apart from silicone, this was the way to go I think. silocone is more likely to deteriorate, and less like an art piece in my view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	165666174_110245767727078_3603655126507419818_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	138071  
Old 03-29-2021, 03:01 AM   #77
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Talking

Quote:
Man cave? Living room. 😎 It’ll be scaring relatives when they come over. 😂
Nice work...I refer to my house as a man cave as every room is full of my random collectibles ...Currently no woman to make the cave one room lol
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:29 AM   #78
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Nice work...I refer to my house as a man cave as every room is full of my random collectibles ...Currently no woman to make the cave one room lol
I fight the good fight every day to keep it as is.😂
Old 03-29-2021, 06:34 AM   #79
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
the irony is that the latex is meant to look like skin. So this translucent resin is meant to replicate what the creature is intended to look like if it were alive, as opposed to looking like the latex prop. if you look at the back, you can really see the detail. it looks so real.

it would look less impressive as latex. It's like the original props often require lighting, etc. to be as impressive as they are. Apart from silicone, this was the way to go I think. silocone is more likely to deteriorate, and less like an art piece in my view.
There is something to be said for screen accuracy. I’m just trying to get it to look more like what I see on screen while watching the movie.

And imo, it did look alive. Things don’t to look like they have *human* skin to look alive.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:03 AM   #80
Vader
Ghost

a flat coat should get you the look you want.