Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #31
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

With this being SSs first Leia PF piece following the passing of Carrie I would expect this to be more a tribute to her than some vague character interpretation. I'd expect the likeness to be spot on considering this will be many collectors tribute to the late Carrie Fisher and how she touched our hearts when we were younger.

Some hurried statue thrown together to blend in with the others just will not do. I'm guessing that's why SS went with the classic ANH look versus her ESB general look.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #32
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
With this being SSs first Leia PF piece following the passing of Carrie I would expect this to be more a tribute to her than some vague character interpretation.
good point, looking at it that way I think ANH is the best route to go
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:11 AM   #33
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

This has potential. Star Wars merchandise sells like hot cakes and Sideshow's own products are sitting as an inventory. Sideshow is probably the sole company WORLDWIDE losing tons of money from her own Star Wars products. Its crazy, you know. Things need to change. My advice

1) Star Wars pieces need conservative poses and not fancy ones. Star Wars collectors are CONSERVATIVE collectors. DC/Marvel fans are more comic-inclined guys. Star Wars fans are movie geeks, guys with a lot of disposable income and they HATE fancy and COMIC-looking stuff for Star Wars. So no fancy poses for Star Wars PFFs or statues in general.

2) A character with a lightsaber should ALWAYS have a lightsaber as a statue. Vader 1/2 isnt selling cause he has no lightsaber. I know, i know, lights go out. I know, i know, collectors turn the lights on only 3-4 times a year. Nevertheless, lightsabers are a must. PERIOD.

3) In order to turn the situation around, the most crucial is the likeness. You have to nail it. Sideshow could hire some guys or K.A.Kim, the woman working for Blitzway in the past, to achieve perfect likeness. If you nail the face, the statue is going to sell no matter what. PERIOD.

Collectors are going to wait for in-hand pics (they did it for Darth Maul PFF) but as long as QC holds and likeness is there, Sideshow can easily sell eg 5000 pieces. Dont be afraid, Sideshow. Collectors DO NOT believe in your QC and they could abstain from early pre-ordering, but as long as you bring a final perfect product, you could easily sell 5000 Princess Leia statues. Mark my words!
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 AM   #34
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
I'm more cognizant of getting strong not-skanky female characters in my collection now that I have a daughter. This Leia will be mine.

Looks quite good. Need to see more images.

There is a Sideshow Princess Leia on ebay at the moment. I've never seen this statue before. She too has a spread out hand.
The eye make-up looks overdone. Leia's head is possibly too long / not round enough.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #35
Devo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
This has potential. Star Wars merchandise sells like hot cakes and Sideshow's own products are sitting as an inventory. Sideshow is probably the sole company WORLDWIDE losing tons of money from her own Star Wars products. Its crazy, you know. Things need to change. My advice

1) Star Wars pieces need conservative poses and not fancy ones. Star Wars collectors are CONSERVATIVE collectors. DC/Marvel fans are more comic-inclined guys. Star Wars fans are movie geeks, guys with a lot of disposable income and they HATE fancy and COMIC-looking stuff for Star Wars. [U]So no fancy poses for Star Wars PFFs or statues in general.
You make some good points, but SW is a broad church and were not all conservative collectors. I'm a huge SW comic fan, mainly into props and artwork collection wise. But when it comes to statues I want fighting poses, want me a darth maul jumping off his speeder and smashing someone In the teeth
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #36
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Quote:
1) Star Wars pieces need conservative poses and not fancy ones. Star Wars collectors are CONSERVATIVE collectors. DC/Marvel fans are more comic-inclined guys. Star Wars fans are movie geeks, guys with a lot of disposable income and they HATE fancy and COMIC-looking stuff for Star Wars. So no fancy poses for Star Wars PFFs or statues in general.
I'm not a comic-inclined guy anymore and haven't been for over 2 decades and I am ALL in for the action poses. I know you may not have liked the latest Deadpool PF, if I understood your comment correctly, but I thought it was an amazing piece. I didn't order that one because I don't have much disposable income but I couldn't resist ordering Lady Deadpool without a moment's hesitation. For Star Wars, I do like the museum poses but the action poses are great as well - I didn't order the Darth Maul PF because I wasn't a fan of the pose but if he was done in an action pose I'd have likely ordered one because I really like the character.

Quote:
2) A character with a lightsaber should ALWAYS have a lightsaber as a statue...
Good point as a Darth Maul action shot with his lightsaber could have been awesome. Then again, for the museum poses, characters walk around all day long without having their weapon out and variety is always good. I'm also not a fan of light-up features on statues but if they are there and add to the piece that is okay as it looks good when showing people the piece for the first time, I suppose.

Quote:
3) In order to turn the situation around, the most crucial is the likeness. You have to nail it. Sideshow could hire some guys or K.A.Kim, the woman working for Blitzway in the past, to achieve perfect likeness. If you nail the face, the statue is going to sell no matter what. PERIOD...as long as QC holds and likeness is there,[/B] Sideshow can easily sell ...
Definitely! I know I've purchased pieces that were not even on my radar simply due to how accurate the head sculpts looked.

With regards to final production piece quality and quality control, I agree completely that Sideshow has to get that under control. At this point we are all aware that some pieces come out looking absolutely amazing whereas others come out with so many issues that they are not even worth salvaging. It feels as though they are playing a numbers game and hoping that many collectors will just accept and move on to the next piece. I see that they have quickly brought their price point up to where the Prime 1 and XM pieces are (a huge increase in a very short period of time) but they are not, for the most part, delivering the quality that those other two companies deliver. In my opinion, they absolutely need to get production quality up so that we, as collectors, do not have to deal with issues after the fact.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #37
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Looks quite good. Need to see more images.

There is a Sideshow Princess Leia on ebay at the moment. I've never seen this statue before. She too has a spread out hand.
The eye make-up looks overdone. Leia's head is possibly too long / not round enough.

I think SS is the worst at sculpting hands.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #38
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

Quote:
I'm more cognizant of getting strong not-skanky female characters in my collection now that I have a daughter. This Leia will be mine.
I guess the good thing is you won't need to spend much money then. I don't think any company knows how to make a non skanky female statue.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #39
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Slave version please! Carrie fisher should have no say if it gets made or not. Just do it! The demand is here since 95% is all male collectors here.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #40
jac1066
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Slave version please! Carrie fisher should have no say if it gets made or not. Just do it! The demand is here since 95% is all male collectors here.
Not going to happen.

Disney retired slave Leia from all Star Wars merchandise.
jac1066 is offline   Reply With Quote