Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Scorsese and Coppola are both amazing directors. They are artists, i highly respect them and like them. Both have amazing films that left a lasting mark on me after watching. Their opinion matters. I don't think they are haters, quite the opposite they are lovers, lovers of cinema.

I enjoy Marvel films but i mean come on they are no art, so are DC films (except Joker) so i don't think Marvel films deserve any prestigious awards. Scorsese and Coppola are probably uptset because there will be an Oscar section for Marvel films or something at Oscar awards... I mean i don't highly respect Oscar awards but... lol It's never the less kind of an artistic recognition of the films and actors, actresses. And Love them or hate them, Marvel films have no artistic side... They just say this.
I would say they definitely have an artisitic side. The Visuals alone are an art form. To discount that is to basically say that only what the old guard likes is now art. It's the same as saying "Because I don't like this painting, or don't understand it, it's not art."

That's not how art or creativity works.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:19 AM   #12
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I would say they definitely have an artisitic side. The Visuals alone are an art form. To discount that is to basically say that only what the old guard likes is now art. It's the same as saying "Because I don't like this painting, or don't understand it, it's not art."

That's not how art or creativity works.
Then enlighten me, what's art about Marvel films ? I definetly don't see anything. I like Marvel films, but i must be objective, they are no art.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:48 AM   #13
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Then enlighten me, what's art about Marvel films ? I definetly don't see anything. I like Marvel films, but i must be objective, they are no art.
Some see them as art and some do not. That is the beauty of art or film - the interpretation of the art or film is very unique by the interpreter.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 AM   #14
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Are you trying to say nothing about those films is an art? From visual effects, sound effects, score, interconnected story, costume design...Nothing about them is artful or creative?

You don't need to be enlightened. When you say "They are no art" can be said for any film, therefore either every film is art or no film is art, now that is not to say that they are good art, or amazing art, nor does it say they are bad art, but they are art all the same.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:30 AM   #15
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

You guys definetly need art lessons. Then you would reconsider your art expert ideas... That's all i'm gonna say, i'm already like what the hell i have got myself into... ?!?!?!?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Scorsese clarifies his comment about Marvel movies not being cinema: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/o...se-marvel.html
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
You guys definetly need art lessons. Then you would reconsider your art expert ideas... That's all i'm gonna say, i'm already like what the hell i have got myself into... ?!?!?!?
I went to an art college and took art history.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Scorsese clarifies his comment about Marvel movies not being cinema: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/o...se-marvel.html
I read that Op Ed and I got the impression he is saying the success of Marvel movies is causing other movies not to have such a wide release. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I got from the point he was trying to make.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #19
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This is what I don't understand about what he's saying. He's basically turned into one of those people that were saying "Film wasn't art" and had to fight for it to be considered an art. He's now taken that since he doesn't connect with the Marvel films he can dictate what is and isn't part of Cinema.

It's the same arguement that we've had in art for centuries. What is and isn't art. Impressionism, Cubism, Abstract, Performance, Pointilism, DaDa, Installation....all have been argued for and against and yet they are all forms of art. Just because we don't connect with it or maybe even dislike it doesn't mean it isn't.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #20
qz33
Rescue

It's just the construed impression. People just can't stand the attention the Marvel movies get. Film types whined the same about Star Wars and the creation of Blockbusters

A rough average of the past 10 years' movie releases is 600 movies. How many of those were Marvel movies and how many were superhero movies? It's all just perception. If there were a bunch of movies similar to the Joker people would complain on them too.

There's plenty of other meritless crap. If Iron Man isn't art then what's The Wild Wild West?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote