Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #121
qz33
Doctor Doom

Sad thing is Sideshow has really tried something different but they're gonna get burned with it so don't be too harsh.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #122
Peedi
The Secret Six

For me this might be SS's best Venom. Comiquette is just ok to me. The PF was disappointing. The XM my connect at the time couldn't get me. The P1 isn't that bad to me but I passed for whatever reason.

Although we (as a collective) complain about rehashes, I still need a 1/4 Venom. I would have rather SS took the time to figure out a killer 1/4 Venom, no reinventing the wheel, strictly comic book based, classic styled, no gimmicks and not hunched over. Use the same creative inspirational juices that produced recent visual successes such as Green Arrow PF, CoTD pieces, Catwoman, Juggernaut, Gambit and Rogue Maquettes.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #123
L Deimos
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Sad thing is Sideshow has really tried something different but they're gonna get burned with it so don't be too harsh.
Venom's pose is really weird on it's own and nothing makes sense on this piece. How did they go from the amazing batman vs Superman piece to this?
L Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #124
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Lol True...

But same time, something different could've been 1/4 Beast, Hobgoblin, Doc Oc, Bishop, Iceman, Lizard, Electro, Wasp, Human Torch, Blade, Archangel, Mr. Sinister, Star-Lord, Nightcrawler, a good Namor, Modern Iron Man, etc...show us the Taskmaster and Silver Surfer we've been waiting for... and I bet the reactions and receptions would've been way different.

I know they're artists and some projects are passion based but just give us what we want dammit. It really isn't the rocket science they treat it as: pick the character, pick a pose that isn't ridiculous (and it goes without saying there's TONS of examples to choose from), possibly modernize the costume without making major changes (stitches, wrinkles, textures, small details), make it work and we give up the money.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #125
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

That's what drives me crazy too. I'm not interested in very many of Sideshow's statues where they make unnecessary changes to the outfit or give them an awkward pose--which lately seems to be the rule instead of the exception. There is a ton of material to pull from for outfits and poses. Find one and do the damn thing right. Maybe Sideshow should have a department that creates collectibles that are true to the source material for fans and another department for creating collectibles according to whatever their bull---- "vision" happens to be that month.

I only have ten preorders from Sideshow (which is by far the lowest number I've had with them in years) and the only Sideshow product is Baby Yoda. Sideshow has been losing my money to other companies for a long time because they won't stop with their weird designs and bizarre poses.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #126
SONICobra
Batman

i think qz nailed it, seems like they were trying to be too different and think outside the box. i commend them on that but at some point you have to pause and just really nail something iconic better than anyone else rather than try to do something that hasnt been done before

ive said it before - choosing a dynamic pose (moment in time) is tough. because yes while something may work for a comic panel that is the middle of a page that leads into another panel, this is the one version of this character you see. you dont get to see how this started or how it ends, you get this one single little snapshot to immortalize and put on your shelf. not everything works as a statue imo
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #127
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Honestly this is why their policy of not coming here and asking us at every phase is a good one. You miss some but you also win some. Alot guys here want one type of statue. They aren't building/maintaining a company they are building/maintaining a collection. They sometimes push their art and miss. Sometimes they hit a home run.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #128
leplant
Deadman

When sculpting human, or humanoid figures in motion, shouldn’t that motion appear consistent with the way humans move? I know, comic book heroes and villains are extraordinary, and it makes sense their movements should be artistically rendered as such. This doesn’t look more powerful though. It looks awkward. I’m hoping it’s the angles, because I love the dioramas.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #129
Biggunz
Loki

I honestly could bring a ten year old whose read spidey comics for 6 months that could come and pick out a better pose for Spider-Man and venom then this. In a lot of ways sideshow really knows how to crap on the licenses they have. Someone else really needs another shot to run with the ball
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #130
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

People are complaining about Spider-man's pose but to me that's 90's Spider-man, either McFarlane or Larsen. They drew him in all sorts of crazed flipping poses.

Venom just swiped at him is about to follow it with a right, and spidey is about to "thwip" out of the way. It tells a story, and it's not over the top with design choices.

I also think people expect too much when something is announced. Now if it doesn't meet your fancy for the price that's fine but artistically and design wise the statue is fine.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote