Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #1701
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Anyone else waiting on their copy of uncanny xmen vol 4 from CGN?
Nope, I received mine about a week ago.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #1702
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Next up for me .... The DEFENDERS!
This is so frustrating for me. I have all The Defenders Marvel Masterworks HCs so, again, as I have in the past, I have to decide whether to keep those or pick up this and the future Omnibuses and either sell or give away the MMWs.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #1703
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
This is so frustrating for me. I have all The Defenders Marvel Masterworks HCs so, again, as I have in the past, I have to decide whether to keep those or pick up this and the future Omnibuses and either sell or give away the MMWs.
If I had all the Masterworks, I'd just keep 'em & not buy the omni. Save your dough for a different, upcoming omni that you'll want & don't have a strong, hdbk run of. You'll also save yourself the trouble of having to sell your masterworks.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #1704
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

The nice thing about omnibus that I like is that if an Omnibus has the same amount of individual issue that 3 Marvel Masterworks does the Omnibus takes up less room. And it takes up considerable less room than the individual issues. Now if you just want the stories and not concerned with what form they are very nice to have.

However, it is kind of hard to justify getting the collected editions if you have the individual issues.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #1705
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I was able to get the Excalibur variant cover omnibus on eBay for under $100 last month. I checked availability again today out of curiosity and saw that people are now asking $200 for it. It just came out in December. I have to start buying these books immediately because some of them go out of print very quickly.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #1706
Mister H
Gen 13

Just ordered the Jack Kirby Captain America omnibus. I was iffy about this one but I watched Nearmintcondition's review and he sold me on it. Finally got my Brubaker Cap omni in and it's great, easily one of my favorite Marvel omnis along with the Simonson Thor.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #1707
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Yeah the Brubaker Captain America run is really phenomenal. Definitely glad they're reprinting those Omnibuses and I imagine they won't be in stock long with how everything is right now.

Deluxe Marvel Handbook went back another week....who knows when it will actually end up releasing. Seems to be like that with just about any DC/Marvel omni of merit these days. I'm planning on getting the DC Who's Who and Flashpoint Omnis but I really have no reason to believe they're actually releasing next month.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 AM   #1708
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Just ordered the Jack Kirby Captain America omnibus. I was iffy about this one but I watched Nearmintcondition's review and he sold me on it. Finally got my Brubaker Cap omni in and it's great, easily one of my favorite Marvel omnis along with the Simonson Thor.
I hope you like the Kirby Cap Omnibus. As a teenager in the ‘70s I read those stories and scratched my head at the wonkiness, especially following Steve Englehart’s brilliant run. I did pick up the Madbomb tpb but, having read it once, it sits on my shelf.

The Brubaker Cap run (with Steve Epting art) is some of the best comic book stories written. I couldn’t wait for the new issues to come out each month. I remember just being so excited that great Cap stories were being written again! I felt the same way about Simonson’s Thor, and that an apt comparison!
Old 03-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #1709
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
The Brubaker Cap run (with Steve Epting art) is some of the best comic book stories written. I couldn’t wait for the new issues to come out each month. I remember just being so excited that great Cap stories were being written again! I felt the same way about Simonson’s Thor, and that an apt comparison!
Speaking of great Marvel runs, when the Conan omnibus first started coming out I bought the first two volumes. I figured ‘what the heck, they’ll look good on my shelf’. I just now read some content from the first volume which is Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith and then some from the second which is Thomas and Buscema.....holy crap....these things are fantastic. The art, the writing and a great character made for a comic that reminded me of what is was like to read comics as a kid. I need to get the other volumes along with the black and white Savage Sword of Conan books. The good news is that there is enough content for about 10 or 12 Savage Sword of Conan books. So thankful there is still older stuff out there that is worth reading.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #1710
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Speaking of great Marvel runs, when the Conan omnibus first started coming out I bought the first two volumes. I figured ‘what the heck, they’ll look good on my shelf’. I just now read some content from the first volume which is Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith and then some from the second which is Thomas and Buscema.....holy crap....these things are fantastic. The art, the writing and a great character made for a comic that reminded me of what is was like to read comics as a kid. I need to get the other volumes along with the black and white Savage Sword of Conan books. The good news is that there is enough content for about 10 or 12 Savage Sword of Conan books. So thankful there is still older stuff out there that is worth reading.
You hit the nail on the head! I’ve got the Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan omnibuses through volume 4 for both, and they’re bused amazing! Volume 5 of Conan the Barbarian just came out and I’m passing going forward primarily due to Roy Thomas’ coming off Conan following the 4th volume of both.