Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: To Toss or Not to Toss Shipping Boxes? That is the Question.
Keep the boxes. Store at home, Grandma's, GFs, or office. A great side table! 80 75.47%
Keep SOME of the boxes. Just keep what I can. Out with the rest. 11 10.38%
Toss all of the boxes! I don't live in a warehouse!! 3 2.83%
Sell the boxes. Is this really an option? 1 0.94%
Keeper the outer box and toss the inside. This is art after all. 1 0.94%
Pay for Storage. I will sell these one day.... 10 9.43%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #21
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I keep art boxes so might as well keep the shippers.
Might as well...easier than trying to find a box later if you go to sell.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #22
Mister H
Gen 13

You could break down the brown shippers and store the now flat cardboard in a smaller space somewhere. Same with the styrofoam.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #23
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Most styrofoam I've seen doesn't break down into anything smaller, so it's all or nothing for me. Sell the statue if I can't keep the damned box dry somewhere.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:50 AM   #24
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I am truly amazed at the numbers for keeping the boxes! But it does make sense. With shipping costs based off dimensional weight you can't even create a shipper exchange between collectors just to send it out to someone who needs them and not just take up space. Imagine if you could just pay a small fee for the box when you need it, and the option to sell it again to recover some of the costs? That would be a business opportunity for someone to manage this with some margin. But you would need your own uber pickups....
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #25
Royalguard
The Avengers

I have a extra bedroom for storage for my boxes not a problem for at least 2 yrs or so if I’m lucky or unlucky lol can’t decide which. After that I’ll likely make a decision pay for storage or toss em.... 1st world issues.
Royalguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:31 AM   #26
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

This is a question I struggle with. We are lucky enough to have a large house so space isn't a problem but it still irks me that we let boxes take up so much space. Would love to get rid of them someday.

There are good arguments made above to keep them though.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:57 AM   #27
ukshaun
Hercules

I voted:
Keep the boxes. Store at home..

Reason is simple. Value, should i decide to sell a piece. Transport for shipping or if i move house. If i ever reach that point i do not want to move house ever a gain, then dumping all big boxes will become a consideration. I have moved 15 times in my lifetime, with plans to move for a 16th time in 2021
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #28
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I pay for storage. Personally, I think anyone who throws the boxes away is an idiot. Regardless of one's intentions of selling, there could always come a day when you're forced to sell or move and the box is imperative that the piece makes that trip safey.
That seems a little excessive One of the reasons I started collecting these large statues is that I no longer intend to move. And I’m a collector, not a dealer. If I buy a statue, it’s to keep it.
The collection is a passion. Resale is a job. I chose, I collect.
I know storing all these boxes is becoming a problem. At the moment, I threw out all the brown boxes. Maybe I’ll start throwing the styro out of my bigger boxes so I can put smaller ones inside them...
A tip by slipping an ikea shelf under the covers of my XM box of Batgirl and my kinetiquettes box of Mai, I turned them into seats. These boxes are as solid as a safe.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
SkilledButton
Nightwing

For me it isn't about reselling the statues but about moving locations. Up until very recently, I would move homes more regularly than most (every few years on average) and if you don't have the boxes to move them, it's going to be a massive struggle. Not only that, you risk breaking them for really no reason at all. What if you moved provinces or States? Or countries? Don't throw out the boxes, I don't even throw out the shipper boxes, I just store the main box in the shipper box and keep everything, just incase I ever move again and I need to put these away. I'm very likely never selling any of my pieces, but of course it's never impossible as no one can predict the future, let alone ten years from now. That's not the reason I keep them though, I want to make sure I can put them away for whatever reason if need be and it would be sooooo difficult to track something like this down afterwards.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #30
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Most styrofoam I've seen doesn't break down into anything smaller, so it's all or nothing for me. Sell the statue if I can't keep the damned box dry somewhere.
So the Styrofoam is one cube shaped piece?
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote