Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

And now... the Wolverine! - Hulk vs Wolverine Maquette by Sideshow

There ain't many around who can describe what it feels like to get hit by the Hulk.
Simple fact bein' there ain't many around who can survive to tell the tale.
There ain't no pain at first. It's like he hits ya so damn hard ya actually leave your own body.
It's when ya come back that ya feel the pain.
An' ya realize yer goin' toe-to-toe with a walkin' earthquake.

- Wolverine

Hi guys,

Happy New Year to all of you!
Have a great 2018; may it be the best year you have had so far!

We are about to enter a new year and to celebrate I have decided to review the Hulk vs Wolverine diorama which I recently added to my collection.
Sideshow has a great reputation with diorama's and they scored home runs in the past with diorama's like Hulk vs Spiderman, Wolverine vs Sabretooth
or Captain America vs Red Skull.
And then I am not even talking about the Sentinel series which starred Cyclops and Colossus, Emma Frost and Beast and
Wolverine and Kitty Pryde fighting side by side against Trask's mutant killing machines.
Those were true highlights and I think these dioramas have become grails for fans and collectors ever since they were released.
The Hulk vs Wolverine diorama has a lot to live up to and without wanting to spoil too much yet, I think Sideshow managed to come a long way...

The full review will be posted shortly and I hope you will enjoy.
Please feel free to provide your feedback and comments; I would like to hear from you and learn what your thoughts about this diorama are!

Have a great 2018; may it be the best year you have had so far!

My Verdict

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
- Mark Twain

Product Size: 23" H (584.2mm) x 20" W (508mm) x 18" L (457.2mm)
Box Size: 21.00" H (533.4mm) x 21.00" W (533.4mm) x 25.00" L (635mm)
Product Weight: 20.00 lbs (9.07 kg)*
Dimensional Weight: 48 lbs
Int'l Dim. Weight: 67 lbs
Release date: 2017
Artists involved:
• Ariel Olivetti (Design)
• Martin Canale (Design, Sculpt)
• Guillermo Barbiero (Sculpt)
• Alfred Paredes (Sculpt)
• Walter O'Neal (Sculpt)
• Adam Smith (Mold & Cast)
• Chadwick Andersen (Mold & Cast)
• Jaime Grove (Paint)
• Kat Sapene (Paint)
• Bernardo Esquivel (Paint)
• Chie Izuma (Paint)
• The Sideshow Design and Development Team

Sculpt: 10 - Perfect
A perfect ‘10’ should not be easily given since it would mean that the sculptors involved would have achieved absolute perfection. A ‘10’ means there is no room for improvement;
it means the sculpt is all that and an undeniable masterpiece.
That’s why I really pondered about this and took my time to make up my mind.
But I have to give credit where credit is due and IMHO the sculptors really delivered big time here.

Looking at the Maquette it is as if the clash between Hulk and Wolverine as first depicted in the illustrious comic book issue Hulk #181, has come to live.
Wolverine flying in the air towards Hulk ready to stop the green goliath with his razor sharp adamantium claws, the Hulk ready to deliver a blow which could crush a mountain.
Look closely and it is as if you can feel the energy, the rage and the tension in the air.
You can almost hear the thunderous screams of Hulk and feel the enormous impact every time he takes a full force swing at Wolverine.
But that’s not all: let your imagination run free and it is as if you can hear the angry snarls of Wolverine, see his swift movements and feel the damage he does with his adamantium claws.
This is not just a clash, no sir, this is a Big Bang.
The world is shaking on its foundations and the disturbance is caused by a behemoth and a beast taking on each other, each determined to be the last man standing,
each determined to take down their opponent the hard and unforgiving way. Have no mercy and take no prisoners.
The sculpt is like a comic book scene frozen in time and that is an incredible achievement of the sculptors.

The awe-inspiring, detailed musculature of both Hulk and Wolverine makes you realize both of them can punch your lights out in a blink of an eye.
The angry, screaming face of Hulk expressing the rapidly increasing rage fueling the green goliath.
The clenched teeth of Wolverine showing his determination and focus while doing what he does best. When taking on the Hulk there is no room for misjudgments or errors.
Let your thoughts wander off for a split-second and the last thing you feel is an agonizing pain after being hit by the full force of Hulk’s blows.
You can see Wolverine is aware of this and is concentrating fully on taking down the giant man-mountain coming after him relentlessly.

This maquette does not excel only in the big things though; it’s also superb in all the small details which stand out.
Look for example at the detailed way in which the tree trunk and the rocks on the base are sculpted: the texture and look great and make it easy to imagine this showdown is taking place in the woods.

The veins on Hulk’s and Wolverine’s arms together with the wrinkles in Hulk’s pants and Wolverine’s costume look great and add realism, movement, and tension.
Wolverine’s claws, the detailed soles on his boots, the battle damage on his shoulder pads, the rips in Hulks pants... it just feels and looks right.

The sculpt convinces in so many ways that it elevates this Maquette to a whole new level.
That’s why the perfect score is well deserved and all kudos should go to the sculpting team.

Paint & Mixed Media: 8.5 - Very impressive
The paint application on this maquette is nothing short of stunning no matter from which angle you look at it.
The comic book accurate emerald green of the Hulk’s skin, the purple and white of his torn pants and shirt; it’s all as it should be.
But it does not stop there: the black shading which increases the definition on Hulk’s body, muscles and yes even his angry frown,
the brown mud on the sole of Hulk’s right foot, from the white of Hulk’s teeth to the dark colour of his hair and eyebrows, the paint job never misses a beat.
There is no overspray and there are no missed or overlooked spots where no paint was applied.
The Hulk is one of Marvel’s most iconic characters and this paint job is a true homage to this green behemoth.

Wolverine is keeping up with the Hulk though in an absolutely impressive manner.
I love Wolvie’s yellow and blue costume and the paint job emphasizes the tight fit of the costume and Wolvie's heavily muscled body underneath it.
Logan may not be a tall man but what he lacks in height he more than makes up for in muscle mass.
Wolverine is a lean, mean killing machine and Sideshow has caught the essence of the Wolverine in this statue.
Just like is the case with Hulk, the paint job on Wolverine also convinces when looking at the little details: the body hair on Wolvie’s arms, the shadow effect on his costume,
boots, and gloves, the battle damage on his shoulder pads; it’s all painted beautifully and with an incredible accuracy.
The Wolverine we know from the comic books has come to life in this magnificent 3D sculpt.
Some fans and collectors have complained about the sloppy way in which Wolvie’s teeth would be sculpted and painted.
I have looked at Wolverine closely and must admit that I do not think it’s not as bad as I feared it would be.
My interpretation is that Wolvie is clenching his teeth because of the ultimate exertion and total concentration needed to survive yet another second in this brutal clash with the Hulk.
The paint job on Wolvie’s teeth may not be the very best you have ever seen but I feel it’s far from being bad.
IMHO it certainly does not take away from the enjoyment of this statue.
YMMV of course but I think that if Wolverine himself is not bothered at all by his bare teeth and grim expression then why should we?

Another thing worth mentioning are the metal claws of Wolverine. They look great and are actually quite pointy.
It's this eye for detail which makes Wolverine look more impressive and dangerous than ever before.

The base deserves some praise as well: the demolished tree trunk, the rocks and the muddy ground on which Hulk is standing are extraordinarily painted and look almost real.
In my imagination, Hulk and Wolvie clashed with each other somewhere deep in the Canadian woods and the base contributes substantially to this impression.
This maquette has a solid and righteous paint job and I can honestly say it warrants two big thumbs up!

Design: 9.0 – Excellent
I think it’s very cool that Sideshow has chosen the cover of an existing comic book (Hulk #181) as inspiration for this maquette.
It’s a fitting tribute to Marvel and these two iconic characters and a big tip of the hat to all comic books fans all around the world.
Just as important it has resulted in a very dynamic and exciting statue with a high comic book 'feel' to it.
It is an amazing achievement that every time you look at this statue you get the feeling that you are looking at a scene from a 3D comic book.

This is it guys: the characters we have come to know and love from the comic books are duking it out right before your eyes.
The overall design is very realistic and it convinces in many ways.
The ‘comic book accuracy’ is amazing and both Wolverine and Hulk look exactly like they should.
Wolverine’s famous yellow and blue costume, Hulk’s torn and ripped purple pants, everything is simply right.
Another good thing is the exciting pose of both Wolverine and Hulk.
The decision to have Wolverine jump towards Hulk has been a very good one since it has given the statue a very energetic vibe.
Wolverine being agile, quick on his feet, moving swiftly while using his deadly claws with maximum effect versus the big, immensely powerful behemoth of a Hulk
who's throwing out blows which could shatter mountains.
You can feel the heat of the moment, the anger, the adrenaline and the indomitable will of both Hulk and Wolverine to be the last man standing no matter what.

The base is designed just as well.
The mud, the fallen tree trunk, the rocks lying around, they all give you the impression that Wolverine and Hulk have run into each other somewhere deep in the Canadian woods.
This is another tribute to Hulk #181 and the Wendigo who is also part of this story.
Sideshow really delivered big time here.
The only thing withholding me from handing out another perfect score is that from certain angles you are able to see a very small gap between Hulk’s head and his neck.
To me, the gap is only (barely) visible if you really look for it from a close distance and it therefore does not bother or distract me much.
But all-in-all I think this is one of the most amazing and most exciting dioramas and maquettes Sideshow has ever released.
Well done Sideshow!

Production & Build Quality: 10 – Perfect
What can I say?
This piece has a superb build and finish and assembling the statue was easy and straightforward.
The various parts fit smoothly and this made setting up the statue a breeze.
I never considered the weight of a statue to be one of the influencing factors in whether or not a statue appealed to me.
That being said I have to admit that this maquette has a solid and righteous weight to it which gives me a lot of confidence that this statue will be able to withstand
the test of time without any issue.
I would advise against dropping this statue from three feet high but if you treat this statue with some TLC and common sense,
I am certain that it will easily last you a lifetime and longer.

Solid, heavy, sturdy and robust, that is what this maquette is all about.
There is nothing wobbly, nothing flimsy and nothing rickety to see, feel or experience here.
But there is more to this statue than its just its weight and ruggedness.
The various parts fit easily and without a hassle and I just love the fact that Sideshow decided to use magnets to attach Hulk’s and Wolverine’s head,
Wolvie’s hands and the separate part of the tree trunk.
Magnets are so much easier when assembling a statue than pegs which unfortunately not always fit perfectly or only fit after a bit of a struggle.
Another thing which immediately caught my eye is the fact that Wolverine’s claws are perfectly aligned; none of his claws are leaning to the left or right.
Wolvie’s claws look like the perfect, deadly weapons that they are
This is as good as it gets and I can fully understand why so many fans and collectors are wowed by the quality of this statue.

If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.
- Muhammad Ali

Overall rating: 9.5 – Outstanding
The Rumble in the Jungle. The showdown in Canada. The behemoth versus the beast.
This maquette is amazing in all of its details both big and small and it convinces on even more levels.
The impressive sculpt, the flawless paint job, the inspired design and the solid production and build quality, they all tell a story of something truly special.
With this maquette, Sideshow managed to capture the vibe and feel of Marvel’s comic books to an extraordinary degree.
Both Wolverine and Hulk look absolutely stunning and you can almost feel the energy in the air and the shattering of the earth below your feet.
Sideshow set out do to do something special here and IMHO they absolutely succeeded.

Perhaps it’s best to quote Sideshow’s own announcement when they revealed this maquette:
There have been many amazing dueling duos in history, but few could possibly be as Earth-shatteringly matched as that of Hulk and Wolverine.
Sideshow’s Hulk and Wolverine Maquette is an amazing 3D recreation of not only the pair's first meeting but of Wolverine’s introduction to the world.
Captured in stunning detail, the maquette has these two brawlers locked in eternal combat.
Wolverine is flying through the air while Hulk prepares to take a swing that might just end the fight.

That’s what this maquette is all about.
Bringing characters we have come to like and care for to ‘life’ in an impressive and inspired way.
I think that even collectors who are no fan at all of Wolverine and Hulk will be excited by the appeal and presence of this maquette.
Sometimes a piece is simply too good to pass on and I feel this is one of those pieces.
I am not saying this is or will become a grail since I think the definition of what a grail is can differ from person to person.
But I do believe that Sideshow presented us with a very high-quality statue which manages to bring back some of the magic
which I felt when I read a comic book for the first time so many years ago.
Have a good one guys; one last piece of advice before I sign out:
if you ever have the chance to add this maquette to your collection, you should seriously consider doing so.
If you decide to pull the trigger and buy it you will never regret it. You really won’t. Take my word for it; this statue is really that impressive.

Background Information:

Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting.
- Napoleon Hill

Hulk

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
- Mike Tyson (when he was asked by a reporter whether he was worried about Evander Holyfield and his fight plan)

Caught in a gamma bomb explosion while trying to save the life of a teenager, Dr. Bruce Banner was transformed into the incredibly powerful creature called the Hulk.
An all too often misunderstood hero, the angrier the Hulk gets, the stronger the Hulk gets.

Height: 5' 9½" (Banner); 7' – 8' (Hulk)
Weight: 128 lbs. (Banner); 1,040 – 1,400 lbs.(green Hulk)

Powers
The Hulk possesses an incredible level of superhuman physical ability. His capacity for physical strength is potentially limitless due to the fact that the Hulk's strength increases
proportionally with his level of great emotional stress, anger in particular.
The Hulk uses his superhumanly strong leg muscles to leap great distances.
The Hulk has been known to cover hundreds of miles in a single bound and once leaped almost into orbit around the Earth.
The Hulk can also use his superhumanly leg muscles to run at super speeds, although his legs have limitless strength he does not have limitless speed.
Once he reaches a certain speed his legs become too strong and destroy the ground giving him no friction to run on, therefore he jumps to travel.
The Hulk can slam his hands together creating a shock wave, this shock wave can deafen people, send objects flying and extinguish fires.
His thunderclap has been compared to hurricanes and sonic booms.
The Hulk has shown a high resistance to physical damage nearly regardless of the cause and has also shown resistance to extreme temperatures, mind control,
nuclear explosions, poisons, and all diseases.
In addition to the regeneration of limbs, vital organs, and damaged or destroyed areas of tissue at an amazing rate.
The Hulk also has superhuman endurance.The Hulk's body also has a gland that makes an "oxygenated per fluorocarbon emulsion", which creates pressure in the Hulk's lungs
and effectively lets him breathe underwater and move quickly between varying depths without concerns about decompression or nitrogen narcosis.

Abilities
Dr. Bruce Banner is a genius in nuclear physics, possessing a mind so brilliant that it cannot be measured on any known intelligence test.
When Banner is the Hulk, Banner's consciousness is buried within the Hulk's, and can influence the Hulk's behavior only to a very limited extent.

Wolverine

It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
- Rocky Balboa

Born with super-human senses and the power to heal from almost any wound, Wolverine was captured by a secret Canadian organization
and given an unbreakable Adamantium skeleton and claws. Treated like an animal, it took years for him to control himself.
Now, he's a premiere member of both the X-Men and the Avengers.

Height: 5'3"
Weight: (Without Adamantium skeleton) 195 lbs., (with Adamantium skeleton) 300 lbs.

Powers
Wolverine is a mutant who possesses the ability to regenerate damaged or destroyed areas of his cellular structure at a rate far greater than that of an ordinary human.
The speed at which this healing factor works varies in direct proportion to the severity of the damage Wolverine suffers.
For example, he can fully recover from an ordinary gunshot wound in a non-vital area of his body within minutes,
but it took him almost two months to fully recover from injuries sustained in a duel with Lord Shingen, which included one from a sword that went all the way through his trunk.
Wolverine’s natural healing also affords him virtual immunity to poisons and most drugs, as well as an enhanced resistance to diseases.
For example, it is nearly impossible for him to become intoxicated from drinking alcohol.
He also has a limited immunity to the fatigue poisons generated by bodily activity, and hence he has greater endurance than an ordinary human.
His agility and reflexes are similarly enhanced.In addition, Wolverine’s healing factor provides him with an extended lifespan by slowing the effects of the aging process.
Although over a century old, Wolverine is as healthy and physically fit as a man in his prime.
Wolverine also possesses superhumanly acute senses, making him capable of seeing things at a maximum distance greater than a normal human’s.
His hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, and he is able to recognize people and objects by scent, even if that person or object is hidden.
Wolverine can use these enhanced senses to track any creature with an impressive degree of success.

Wolverine’s skeleton includes six retractable one-foot long bone claws, three in each arm, that are housed beneath the skin and muscle of his forearms.
Wolverine can, at will, release these slightly curved claws through his skin beneath the knuckles on each hand.
The skin between the knuckles tears and bleeds, but the blood loss is quickly halted by his healing factor.
Wolverine can unsheathe any number of his claws at once, although he must keep his wrists straight at the moment his claws shoot from his forearms into his hands.
When unsheathed, the claws are fully within his hands, and thus Wolverine can still bend his wrists.
Wolverine’s bones are virtually unbreakable, and his claws are capable of cutting through almost any substance depending on its thickness and the amount of force he can exert.
Due to his healing factor, the presence of Adamantium in his body does not interfere with his bones’ normal function of generating blood corpuscles.
The reinforcement of his skeleton enables Wolverine to withstand high levels of physical pressure, giving his muscles sufficient force to briefly lift/press several hundred pounds
Despite the extent of his healing factor, Wolverine is not immortal.
If the injuries are extensive enough, especially if they result in the loss of vital organs, large amounts of blood, and/or loss of physical form,
such as having flesh burned away by fire or acid, Wolverine can die.

Abilities
Due to his extensive training as a soldier, a C.I.A. operative, a samurai, a spy, and a member of the X-Men,
Wolverine is an exceptional hand-to-hand combatant, having mastered virtually every fighting style on Earth.
He is also a trained expert in multiple types of weapons, vehicles, computer systems, explosives, and assassination techniques.
Wolverine is fluent in many languages amongst which Japanese, Russian and Chinese.

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

It always comes down to you and me anyway.
- Wolverine talking to Hulk; World War Hulk – X-men 02

Rainer
Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

[Wolverine wakes up in the forest]
Wolverine: [groaning] What the hell happened?
[He pulls himself painfully to his feet, then hears a roar... and the Hulk jumps right in front of him]
Wolverine: Oh, yeah...
- [last lines in "Hulk vs. Wolverine"]

Rainer
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

[last lines in "Hulk vs. Wolverine"]
Wolverine: All right, bub... where were we?
[draws his claws and leaps at the Hulk]

Rainer
Old 12-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

The pain lets you know you're still alive.
- Wolverine

Rainer
Old 12-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Twice the carnage. Double the smash.
- Tagline Hulk Vs. movie

Rainer
Old 12-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

This is nice looking statue. I saw it in person.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

It's definitely my favorite piece I own. Great shots. Can't wait to see it paired w Wolverine v Juggernaut.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Thanks for checking out this thread guys!
This weekend I plan to take some new pictures of this diorama. Hopefully I can make maximum use of the available natural daylight.

Furthermore I hope to post my review early next week at the latest so please stay tuned.

Rainer
Old 01-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
jsnchrry
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Thanks for sharing Rainer! Great pics! He is an amazing piece. I absolutely love mine.
jsnchrry is offline   Reply With Quote