Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Underdog07
Hercules

I like the global shipping. If you ship straight you need to ship via USPS Express which runs in the $50-60 range forms piece of art. Potential Buyers very often balk at that and try to talk me down or ask I mark as a gift. Since switching to Gsp I have sold more items. However I have had 2 people contact me regarding sending straight to them. 1 wanted me to mark as a gift and the other was willing to pay the shipping but wanted a huge discount off the purchase price.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Seanrm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I like the global shipping. If you ship straight you need to ship via USPS Express which runs in the $50-60 range forms piece of art. Potential Buyers very often balk at that and try to talk me down or ask I mark as a gift. Since switching to Gsp I have sold more items. However I have had 2 people contact me regarding sending straight to them. 1 wanted me to mark as a gift and the other was willing to pay the shipping but wanted a huge discount off the purchase price.
USPS Priority Mail International is a whole lot cheaper than USPS Global Express - just takes a few days longer.

But the shipping cost is not the problem with eBay's Global Shipping Program - it's the arbitrary upfront import charges that are attached to it that buyers have to pay, and sellers cannot see.

Trust me, there are a whole lot of potential international buyers that see those three words on a listing and immediately move on.

Just Google "global shipping program scam" and you'll get a better idea what people think about it.
Seanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanrm View Post
USPS Priority Mail International is a whole lot cheaper than USPS Global Express - just takes a few days longer.

But the shipping cost is not the problem with eBay's Global Shipping Program - it's the arbitrary upfront import charges that are attached to it that buyers have to pay, and sellers cannot see.

Trust me, there are a whole lot of potential international buyers that see those three words on a listing and immediately move on.

Just Google "global shipping program scam" and you'll get a better idea what people think about it.

Yup. Shipping from Canada to the US is now less than a third than it is the other way around. I just shipped a statue to Florida (1700 miles away) for just shy of $30 via FedEx. On eBay, I would now get dinged over $100 for the same piece shipping from upstate NY, less than 100 miles away. That is insane. I'm not sure exactly what has gone wrong in the last year or so with shipping costs. I'm just glad I don't buy statues anywhere near as much as I used to. However, I do like to buy other stuff so it's disappointing to see what's happened.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Ah ok this is good to know, cause i only did it once and no issues.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Ah ok this is good to know, cause i only did it once and no issues.

In case you are curious... I think I'm located less than 300 miles away from you. One of your auctions reads $67 shipping and $131 import fees. Ouch. It's a scary number to see right out of the gate. If I remember correctly, I once sent you a statue for less than $25 shipped via FedEx. That is a huge difference. I wonder if there is a way to fix this or if this is simply the way it's going to be moving forward shipping internationally from the US.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #16
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
In case you are curious... I think I'm located less than 300 miles away from you. One of your auctions reads $67 shipping and $131 import fees. Ouch. It's a scary number to see right out of the gate. If I remember correctly, I once sent you a statue for less than $25 shipped via FedEx. That is a huge difference. I wonder if there is a way to fix this or if this is simply the way it's going to be moving forward shipping internationally from the US.
totally agree. Now (as a Canuck), when I see this GSP for the ship option I just move on. Not worth the hassle or the $$

Even pieces that I wouldn't normally incur any duty on (value under $100) have some crazy duty fee tacked on to them

I haven't bought anything off eBay since the summer months before this stuff began. I honestly can't see myself buying any statues again unless they're Canadian sellers or US sellers who keep it simple with USPS via Canada Post
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
damn thats nuts, they made it seem like its a hassle free way to ship out of the US. Meaning once it gets to that hub, its safe and secure and i am not responsible for it anymore

ill have to change my auctions for now on and just deal with the post office.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #18
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanrm View Post
You can sell as normal to overseas buyers outside of the Global Program just using the regular post office Airmail services - just make sure that the delivery has to be signed for.
But I don't think USPS has a signed service for International packages. You can get it Registered Mail for domestic. But the only service USPS has for International that confirms delivery is Express which they hand off to FedEx anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
The whole global thing is just money grabbing thing when USPS already offers tracking #. Ebay should get rid of this.
USPS isn't responsible for tracking once normal or Priority International packages leave the US. At least the last time I checked because it goes to other carriers in that country and they don't have to scan items. And that customs number doesn't work either for tracking.

This is really eBay and Paypal's problem for wanting to be a store and giving buyers all kinds of power and the ability to return any item.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
PureInvasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
USPS isn't responsible for tracking once normal or Priority International packages leave the US. At least the last time I checked because it goes to other carriers in that country and they don't have to scan items. And that customs number doesn't work either for tracking.
You're correct that once it crosses the border USPS isn't responsible for the tracking. Once it comes into Canada though, Canada Post does scan and continue the tracking that USPS started so you at least have some sense of where it is in the system once it clears customs
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

As a US Ebay seller, I thought I might try the new Ebay international shipping to increase sales but thanks to this info, I think I will forget about doing that!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote