Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Question Windows 7 bitlocker encryption locked out my laptop. Need Help.

I left my laptop dormant for a few weeks and when I plugged it in, I entered my encryption password. Normally this starts the computer and I can login to my Windows user ID and password.

However this is not the case, it will not boot up to Windows 7 screen. Instead it goes to the bitlocker encryption part were you have to enter a 8 part 6 number code (48). Well I don't have this and it is not letting me access my laptop.

I tried to do the safe mode F8 but it would not allow me to do it. Is there a way to bypass the bitlocker? Should I take it to a computer tech? I just don't want to lose all my files especially when they have a lot of my statues photos.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

The feeling of loss when at some point, which we have all done, wished we had backed up to some other device.

Sorry, no help from me, only sympathy.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
The feeling of loss when at some point, which we have all done, wished we had backed up to some other device.

Sorry, no help from me, only sympathy.
I hate Microsoft with all these issues. I regret not backing up my files.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Sithlord32
New Republic

Encrypting a hard drive will practically prevent decrypting it without your password or key code. It ranges into the 10s of millions in binary code if you cant remember it man id say your SOL sorry.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
VS1976

I just talked to an old acquaintance of my old job at Nokia. Apparently Microsoft bought Nokia a few weeks ago and the same thing happen to his laptop. We got the laptops when Nokia shut down last year. He said he bought a new OEM windows 7 and installed it. He was able to select, keep previous file and his laptop worked fine after that. Hopefully this works for me then
Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
I just talked to an old acquaintance of my old job at Nokia. Apparently Microsoft bought Nokia a few weeks ago and the same thing happen to his laptop. We got the laptops when Nokia shut down last year. He said he bought a new OEM windows 7 and installed it. He was able to select, keep previous file and his laptop worked fine after that. Hopefully this works for me then
Right on that sounds viable hope it works for ya.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
Right on that sounds viable hope it works for ya.
It doesn't work. I lose everything. He is thinking if I can take the hard drive and put it an and external hub to see if it would bypass the bitlocking part. I don't know why the bitlocker encryption is activated when I have the encryption password?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Snadinator
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
It doesn't work. I lose everything. He is thinking if I can take the hard drive and put it an and external hub to see if it would bypass the bitlocking part. I don't know why the bitlocker encryption is activated when I have the encryption password?

I'll just repeat what I said on the other forum

Quote:
"If bitlocker could be simply circumvented then what use would it have in securing the contents of your hard drive? Is this a work laptop? If so they should be able to provide a bitlocker recovery key.

So unless you have been doing regular backups (which is the smart thing to do) or you have a bitlocker recovery key, or you have advanced cryptanalysis skills, you my friend are ****ed.

There are two kinds of data. The data you've lost and the data you have yet to loose. Always backup. Some malware, called ransomware, such as cryptolocker encrypts your personal files and will only provide the decryption key if you pay a hefty sum. "
Bitlocker encrypts the data using AES 128bit. Transfering the data to an external USB device will just transfer encrypted data. If it is prompting for the bitlocker recovery key, you must have failed a correct entry of your bitlocker password multiple times... This isn't Microsoft's fault. Bitlocket is a fantastic tool to prevent your personal data falling into the wrong hands. You wouldn't believe the computers and laptops people throw out. They think by reformating the drive they got rid of everything. I can recover deleted files quite easily and get credit card numbers, personal (embarrassing pictures)... you name it.

That said, next time, backup frequently and if you plan on using bitlocker, create a bitlocker recovery key and store it in a secure area.

Depending how badly you want the contents, you can try forensic tools like passware. Its not free. Version 9.5 is required so you may be able to get a pirated copy. This scrapes ram for keys so if you shut off the laptop for an extended period, it won't work as the ram will be lost.

www.lostpassword.com
Snadinator is offline   Reply With Quote