Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #101
WolverineFan
I am da law!

I'm not going to continue to argue because there is no changing someone's view point and quite honestly I just done care enough to try. The price jump is in both companies but I'll tell you the difference. Xm price jump is based on the size of the statue from what I have seen. Some might be an exception of a $200 price jump. Sideshow price jump is just because they can. Here is an example doom on throne to thanos on throne. Care to tell me the price difference of retail. I don't think you will want to say that number Josh. Here I will say it, both 1/4 and doom was $300 and thanos is now $1200. Game over
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #102
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm not going to continue to argue because there is no changing someone's view point and quite honestly I just done care enough to try. The price jump is in both companies but I'll tell you the difference. Xm price jump is based on the size of the statue from what I have seen. Some might be an exception of a $200 price jump. Sideshow price jump is just because they can. Here is an example doom on throne to thanos on throne. Care to tell me the price difference of retail. I don't think you will want to say that number Josh. Here I will say it, both 1/4 and doom was $300 and thanos is now $1200. Game over
This is crazy, your saying Size is XM'x biggest price hike reasoning meanwhile you say SSC is unjustified jacking the price from Doom to Thanos. Doom's base is 11" x 14" while Thanos's is 18" x 13.5"

Thanos's footprint is literally twice the size of Doom's. Your argument is completely lost. Nevermind the full on sculpt of Thanos compare to the draped fabric on doom
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #103
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
This is crazy, your saying Size is XM'x biggest price hike reasoning meanwhile you say SSC is unjustified jacking the price from Doom to Thanos. Doom's base is 11" x 14" while Thanos's is 18" x 13.5"

Thanos's footprint is literally twice the size of Doom's. Your argument is completely lost. Nevermind the full on sculpt of Thanos compare to the draped fabric on doom
7in isn't twice the size number one and you can't justify that height difference to add $900. I ordered thanos myself because I do love it but that's because I happen to have the money to do so. That still doesn't mean that I want to spend that extra money. We shouldn't be paying that price. Should be $800 tops.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #104
nearmint
Phoenix

Businesses charge what the market will bear. If no one bought Thanos at $1200, Sideshow would get the message and reduce their price on the next big release. Since the EX sold out in minutes, it's hard to imagine that will happen.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #105
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
I don't know man. I think SS gives us the looking finished product. If SS painted XMs pieces, it would be an improvement. I'm not talking QC or weight of the piece. Something about sideshows art team that brings it. Switch outs are cool but I don't really swap or mess with a statue once it is up. Usually there is just one portrait or arm I like more.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #106
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
7in isn't twice the size number one and you can't justify that height difference to add $900. I ordered thanos myself because I do love it but that's because I happen to have the money to do so. That still doesn't mean that I want to spend that extra money. We shouldn't be paying that price. Should be $800 tops.
Add in Height, 14" compared to 21", regardless, I'm not arguing, you just picked a horrible comparison in my mind.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #107
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

Okay, let's compare since you're so interested in it shall we. And not Doom from 11 years ago, because really that's pathetic, Not only are you talking over a decade ago but that Doom can literally fit in the new Thanos and is no where near as detailed both in sculpt and paint.

Average Sized Statues
Sideshow Aquaman - $429.99 PO Date 10/2015
Sideshow Kylo Ren - $569.99 PO date 2016

XM Wolverine Statue - SGD $829.99 - USD $603.37
XM Red Skull Statue - SGD $990 - USD $719.63

Highest Priced Statue in 1/4 scale

Sideshow Thanos on Throne - $1200
XM Darkness - SGD $1500 - USD $1090

Now, do I think you get a bit more with Darkness than Thanos, yep, but you could argue License, Singapore Sculptors Pay vs. US pay blah blah blah. Do I think both are over priced, Yep.

Is there a real difference with the price increases between the two companies over the last two years? No.

They've both gone up right around $100-$150 per piece.

So please, take your fanboyism to the proper thread.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #108
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Businesses charge what the market will bear. If no one bought Thanos at $1200, Sideshow would get the message and reduce their price on the next big release. Since the EX sold out in minutes, it's hard to imagine that will happen.
That's true the exclusive did but there isn't many that they made. What's going to be real telling is how the regular edition sells with such a huge edition size. $1200 is a lot of money for most people to spend on a statue
Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #109
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
To a certain extent, the price hikes are because SS simply can, but there are other factors. Factories, trade, inflation, and work put in on the piece are also contributing.

You also have to look at the speculative market as a whole. SS must see people selling Doom on Throne for massive profit. SS doesn't see any of that money, but people are willing to pay it obviously. This could potentially lead to a crash in the market, but I think there are enough people who genuinely love collecting and holding on to these pieces to support it.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #110
COI

Quote:
Sideshow is a bigger company; Sideshow has more licenses; Sideshow has more employees, and they have to pay those employees more; Sideshow needs more warehouse space; Sideshow pays top dollar for top talent, which likely means getting prototypes done costs way more; Sideshow is half a world away from the factories they hire, which is gonna entail certain logistical costs.

There are a myriad of costs associated with Sideshow's business that most collectors don't even think about, and judging by the way many of them talk, it seems like few of them have any experience running a business. The analysis used - looking at the size of the piece and how intricate they THINK it looks, and comparing that to another piece - is overly simplistic, and probably pretty inaccurate too.

I get it, prices suck. It may in fact be the case that Sideshow is charging way more than they need to, but we simply don't know. When someone talks about what these things should cost with absolute certainty, I know their argument is invalid because they can't possibly know unless they have a breakdown in front of them directly from Sideshow. Which they don't.

Collectors are well within their rights to decide for themselves whether the products Sideshow has on offer are worth the asking prices, but all this baseless, overly simplistic speculation of Sideshow and how they run their business is totally biased and incoherent, and it drags every discussion and every thread in this section down into the dirt.

Speak with your wallet. /thread
COI is offline   Reply With Quote